Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 02:34 PM
FLO98
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gwh1bass
Anxious to hear how the SCT works out for you. Curious where you purchased, are you going with custom tunes?
Actually got it off of Amazon, for much cheaper than I had found anywhere else (by $40+ with free shipping). I try to support our vendors as much as possible but with 4 little monsters I gotta go affordable when its available... will go with the canned tunes to get a feel for it then will likely go with customs when I can.

Old 08-29-2015, 02:34 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
03 F250 CCLB 7.3 Lariet is the replacement. Wife still has a Yukon Denali for a suv, plus I have a CCLB F350, a CC F550, a sunfire, a Wagoneer, and a 37 Ford pickup. So the Ex was just a extra one sitting around now that I got the 7.3 for camper duty. It pulls the camper a lot better than the Ex did, and I've only used it without the equalizer hitch on the pickup so far. So after I set that up, it will be even better yet.
You will be a lot happier with the diesel

Old 08-29-2015, 03:51 PM
W4n7s0m3
Junior User
Replaced the front Calibers/Rotors/Brake lines with Power Stops slotted and drilled and Edelbrock braided lines. Will do the rears tomorrow.

Drivers

Passenger

Old 08-29-2015, 04:27 PM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
Today I pulled the dashboard so that it could be painted.

As I mentioned in another thread, I put masking tape on the dashboard to protect it while I pulled the radio and the masking tape pulled the paint off.

I disconnected everything, and remove the dash. Prepped and painted. However, using SEM Color Coat in satin black... I think it's a bit too shiny. On Monday I'll pick up a can of the clear low luster as a top coat.

Old 08-29-2015, 05:25 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
You will be a lot happier with the diesel
I hope so. So far I did all new exhaust from the heads to the tailpipe. N rebuilt the turbo.

Old 08-29-2015, 05:31 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope so. So far I did all new exhaust from the heads to the tailpipe. N rebuilt the turbo.
I love driving the diesel, i don't know about living in a cold climate with one though. I've only had it in single digit temps for a week but she did fine. Good luck with your new toy

Old 08-29-2015, 05:58 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
I love driving the diesel, i don't know about living in a cold climate with one though. I've only had it in single digit temps for a week but she did fine. Good luck with your new toy
Other than taking an extra glow plug cycle after sitting for hours, mine did fine. Spent three months (Dec - Feb) in a little town in Colorado not far from Ouray. Was very happy I had the high-idle on the chip!

Old 08-29-2015, 06:31 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Well I don't plan on using it much in the cold weather, I'll use the gassers for that. I can't see using it as a DD when it's 0 or below for months. It would hardly warm up by the time I got to work.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:57 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Like dejavoo around here.

Look at the dates on the pics.

Attachment 289940

Old 08-29-2015, 07:09 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Well I don't plan on using it much in the cold weather, I'll use the gassers for that. I can't see using it as a DD when it's 0 or below for months. It would hardly warm up by the time I got to work.
plug in the block heater and they stay nice and warm.

the wife not so much...lol

Old 08-29-2015, 09:14 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Like dejavoo around here.

Look at the dates on the pics.

I don't want to sound dumb here, but I will anyways, what u have going on there with the filter housing?

Old 08-29-2015, 09:20 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I don't want to sound dumb here, but I will anyways, what u have going on there with the filter housing?

They are my own shop made FRx. These are the new fpr housings to accept the extra two return fuel lines from the heads to evac air from the fuel journals in the heads so it doesn't have to be forced threw the injectors.

When I did the mod on my X the motor mellowed out and quieted down quite a bit. Its a great mod for the 7.3!

Old 08-29-2015, 09:34 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
^^^ Agreed, FRx really quieted it down and smoothed things out, especially with these ridiculous injectors making it sound like an OBS. It makes a stock 7.3 sound like a 6.7 PSD by comparison.

Spent the day with Roland finishing up the 4R100 beast build for Stay Puft. Good progress today as all gears and drums have been assembled and installed. All that's left to tackle is the trans pump modifications, then the tedious process of disassembling all of the valve bodies and checking for smooth component operation along with air checks begins.

Biggest spiro-lock I've ever seen. Thankfully much less tightly would than its piston wrist-pin cousins.

Couldn't get any step by step picture showing the pump mods and such. I'm not a fan of touching my phone with hands covered in trans fluid and assembly lube.

In other news, my 'no points warning' from our modictator Stewart dropped today for a post I made regarding a certain ex-Excursion forum member 😈

Old 08-30-2015, 07:07 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 830 Likes on 570 Posts
03 F250 CCLB 7.3 Lariat is the replacement. Wife still has a Yukon Denali for a suv, plus I have a CCLB F350, a CC F550, a sunfire, a Wagoneer, and a 37 Ford pickup. So the Ex was just a extra one sitting around now that I got the 7.3 for camper duty. It pulls the camper a lot better than the Ex did, and I've only used it without the equalizer hitch on the pickup so far. So after I set that up, it will be even better yet.

Hey Dave, just curious, do you think it tows better do mostly to the longer wheelbase or is it more of a gas/diesel thing that makes it feel better? Interested as our EXs were both geared the same with headers.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:10 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 830 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Krazee Matt
^^^ Agreed, FRx really quieted it down and smoothed things out, especially with these ridiculous injectors making it sound like an OBS. It makes a stock 7.3 sound like a 6.7 PSD by comparison.

Spent the day with Roland finishing up the 4R100 beast build for Stay Puft. Good progress today as all gears and drums have been assembled and installed. All that's left to tackle is the trans pump modifications, then the tedious process of disassembling all of the valve bodies and checking for smooth component operation along with air checks begins.

Biggest spiro-lock I've ever seen. Thankfully much less tightly would than its piston wrist-pin cousins.

Couldn't get any step by step picture showing the pump mods and such. I'm not a fan of touching my phone with hands covered in trans fluid and assembly lube.

In other news, my 'no points warning' from our modictator Stewart dropped today for a post I made regarding a certain ex-Excursion forum member 😈

I've always believed that automatic transmissions were an equal mix of hydraulics and black magic, I have no plans to ever dig into one myself, my hat is off to you for this build of yours. It is neat to see all of the normally hidden naughty bits!

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?