Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 06:45 AM
ZaXcursion
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Added Kenwood head unit with Nav, back up camera, and bluetooth. Added remote start.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:16 AM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Received 4,672 Likes on 2,603 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Speaking of how women think....

A conversation with my wife last sunday:

Me: we need to run by Walmart so I can the oil and filter I need for your car.

Her: you're changing the oil again? You just changed it....

Me: Yes, 5,000 miles ago.

Her: Well if you think it needs to be changed that often. I usually just change it once a year....

Me: *Stare of shock with mouth wide open*

Her: What? Why are you looking at me like that?
This story goes back to about 1976. My girlfriend at the time (later my first wife) drove a POS Pinto with Firestone tires. I was changing the oil in my '72 Torino and offered to change the oil in the Pinto, too. "Why?" was her response.

After some discussion, it turns out that she had bought this 52,000 mile vehicle from someone she knew when it had about 26,000 miles on it. She had never had the oil changed and as far as she knew the previous owner hadn't either.

That's all I needed to hear. After finishing the Torino I started on the Pinto. The "oil" that came out was a thick, black sludge. It looked more like tar than oil. So when I refilled it I put in a quart of high detergent Rislone. I then took the car on a "test drive" to heat up the oil and get the Rislone throughout the engine. About 10 minutes later the Rislone kicked something loose and this poor little Pinto put up a cloud of white/blue smoke that you couldn't see through.

Mercifully, the Pinto later died a most welcomed death.

My Torino later ran two sets of cam bearing out of her so I sold her. Would sure love to have that car back. Here's a "file photo" of her twin.

Name:  Gran Torino 1972.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  42.7 KB

Old 07-29-2015, 08:00 AM
Watcher58
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by ZaXcursion
Added Kenwood head unit with Nav, back up camera, and bluetooth. Added remote start.
What Kenwood did you get? ...and speakers??

Old 07-29-2015, 08:32 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by BassFantasizer
This story goes back to about 1976. My girlfriend at the time (later my first wife) drove a POS Pinto with Firestone tires. I was changing the oil in my '72 Torino and offered to change the oil in the Pinto, too. "Why?" was her response.

After some discussion, it turns out that she had bought this 52,000 mile vehicle from someone she knew when it had about 26,000 miles on it. She had never had the oil changed and as far as she knew the previous owner hadn't either.

That's all I needed to hear. After finishing the Torino I started on the Pinto. The "oil" that came out was a thick, black sludge. It looked more like tar than oil. So when I refilled it I put in a quart of high detergent Rislone. I then took the car on a "test drive" to heat up the oil and get the Rislone throughout the engine. About 10 minutes later the Rislone kicked something loose and this poor little Pinto put up a cloud of white/blue smoke that you couldn't see through.

My Torino later ran two sets of cam bearing out of her so I sold her. Would sure love to have that car back. Here's a "file photo" of her twin.

Sounds like the moral of your story is "Don't change the oil!" lol

Everything was going fine till you changed the oil on both cars. One gave it up and the other shat out its cam bearings.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:47 AM
ZaXcursion
Junior User
Originally Posted by Watcher58
What Kenwood did you get? ...and speakers??
Kenwood DNX892, I didn't need the hotspot but I wanted 3d traffic nav...didn't do speakers but did integrate the steering wheel controls. And the backup camera is going to get a piggyback setup so that I can put a camera on my trailer as well.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:19 AM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Sounds like the moral of your story is "Don't change the oil!" lol
That philosophy worked just fine for her for a long time! Actually, that little Pinto was hard to kill. I drove it one day and it had a bad pull in the steering. Really bad. So I told her I was going to drop it off at the shop for a front end alignment. The mechanic called me back and told me that he couldn't align it. He later showed me where the front cross-member had been struck and how it and the entire frame were no longer square. Somewhere, my ex had hit something. Hard. Yet she denied that she'd ever hit anything. I never did learn what that was all about. But that was the end of the Pinto as far as I was concerned....
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Everything was going fine till you changed the oil on both cars. One gave it up and the other shat out its cam bearings.
I always thought that the first set of bearings was due to an overheat. It crapped a water pump and high-temped the engine before I got her shut down. Oil pressure problems developed soon afterward. When the cam broke I pulled the block and had the machine shop replace the bearings. About 1,000 miles later oil pressure problems returned so I sold the car. "If I knew then what I know now!"

Old 07-29-2015, 09:55 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Speaking of how women think....

A conversation with my wife last sunday:

Me: we need to run by Walmart so I can the oil and filter I need for your car.

Her: you're changing the oil again? You just changed it....

Me: Yes, 5,000 miles ago.

Her: Well if you think it needs to be changed that often. I usually just change it once a year....

Me: *Stare of shock with mouth wide open*

Her: What? Why are you looking at me like that?
I got news that the oil light was on in my wifes car.....upon asking how long I got a shrug and "maybe a month or so" which we all know means 2 or 3. I was changing the oil within the hour. Got 4 out, it takes 6. Female logic is that you just fix things when they break instead of preventing the breakage in the first place.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:58 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
Progress has been slow but steady. The heat has slowed me down, I try not to do much when it's 90. I'm done with being on the roof by 10:30 AM, too hot for me. Everything requires numerous trips up and down the ladder. There are 46 2X6 rafters for each overhang, had to average 4 trips each up and down between measuring, testing, fitting, nailing, dropping tools, forgetting tools, etc. Been a good exercise regimen, lost 20+ lbs already!

These were taken this evening. Doors are 12X10, celing about 13'8" , overhangs are 10' between wall and poles and around 10' high. Building is 40 wide X 44 deep. I'm really enjoying the project! Starting shingles in the AM, a mere 90 bundles.

That looks great! I will be attacking the same project in the next year or so (after we move). Not sure if I'll go with wood or steel structure. Good job man.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:13 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by BassFantasizer

Attachment 122298
52,000 miles and NOT A SINGLE OIL CHANGE?!?!?!?

Beautiful Gran Torino though, my buddy has one, but wrecked it when he was 16. Still has it in a garage somewhere....

Originally Posted by carbon coupe
I got news that the oil light was on in my wifes car.....upon asking how long I got a shrug and "maybe a month or so" which we all know means 2 or 3. I was changing the oil within the hour. Got 4 out, it takes 6. Female logic is that you just fix things when they break instead of preventing the breakage in the first place.
Amen and amen....

A guy on the forum with a 2002 Excursion had a very similar problem. He drove an F150 while his wife drove the Excursion. She comes home one day and tells him that the Excursion has been making a funny noise when she steps on the brakes.

Same story....

Him: How long has it been doing that?

Her: *shrugs* the last two or three weeks

Him: .....

He goes outside, puts the truck on jack stands, takes the front left tire off and finds the rotor, not only destroyed from metal on metal contact, but cracked.

Him:

*wife wanders outside*

Her: What was it?

Him: Please go back inside....

Her: But...

Him: PLEASE go back inside...

She always questions me as to why I spend so much money and time maintaining The Monster, Rudolph, and her Nissan Rogue. My answer that gets her to back off every time:

Me: Has any one of these vehicles ever left us on the side of the road?

Her: *silence*

Me: I rest my case

Old 07-29-2015, 11:35 AM
"Phatman"
Senior User
Sounds like my wife. Every time I tell her that we need something for one of the vehicles. Her famous words. Will it run without it

Old 07-29-2015, 11:36 AM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Has any one of these vehicles ever left us on the side of the road?
That's the yardstick by which I've measured every vehicle I've ever owned.

My 207K '97 F150 has left me stranded only once. Not a lot of blame when shes dumps a starter with no warning...

Old 07-29-2015, 01:11 PM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Plex
Friday I drove from Clovis, NM to Abilene, TX - and the X decided to blow the radiator along the way... Fortunately my friend I was going to see works for Advanced Auto and had one in stock, and a thermostat set (for good measure)
We just did that drive a couple of weeks ago via the Colorado to South Padre Island route, and back of course!!

Old 07-29-2015, 01:53 PM
Vwags
Elder User
My recent conversation with my wife:

Me: I tried to adjust the steering gear and it is now messed up and we need to replace it.

Her: OK

Me: There is a group buy which will save us a few dollars but I can get it cheaper using a different brand.

Her: That part is too important to skimp. Get the best you can.

Me: OK

I frequently tell her she thinks so much like a guy I am almost gay.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:58 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Vwags
My recent conversation with my wife:

Me: I tried to adjust the steering gear and it is now messed up and we need to replace it.

Her: OK

Me: There is a group buy which will save us a few dollars but I can get it cheaper using a different brand.

Her: That part is too important to skimp. Get the best you can.

Me: OK

I frequently tell her she thinks so much like a guy I am almost gay.
Reps and:

Name:  internethighfive.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  20.3 KB

Old 07-29-2015, 06:37 PM
lonepalm
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installed '08 mirrors on the Ex............again. Picked up a set on Ebay last week, figured all aftermarket mirrors were pretty much the same. Got them on the truck and noticed they had a bit of a "funhouse" effect. The main mirror on both sides had a slight curve that threw off the reflection. I was willing to live with it until I tried to swap out the amber turn/clearance lenses for smoked. The smoked lenses from 1A Auto would not fit into the hole in the mirror, a bit too large. As I was unhappy with the curved glass anyway I ordered another set, this time from 1A Auto. I'm happy to say the glass in their mirrors is a much higher quality and the mirrors look great.

As Ben Franklin said "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten".

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?