Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 08:13 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NorthwesternCowboy
Air bags, a towing tune, and a Helwig are in the shopping cart. Few other orders of business to take care of first, so until then I am going to have to roll with the factory rake delete as Living Large calls it
If you don't have a weight distributing hitch, I would start with that.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:18 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mirror delete? Getting ready for some tow mirrors! Just have to ship these to Harley and wait for the tows to come back, then a quick refurb on them. Benefit of having a third car to drive. Texas probably has a law about rearview mirrors.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:25 PM
NorthwesternCowboy
Laughing Gas
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Magnus E
If you don't have a weight distributing hitch, I would start with that.
Yup, good to go there. The ball height is set for a Silverado 2500 4x4 in the picture, so it might be even better with the height set for the Ex.

The trailer was my wife's grandparents' and Grandpa passed away recently so I bought it from Grandma to keep in the family. They towed a lot, so Grandpa had all the fixins, so the trailer came with a nice hitch, sway bar, and plenty of accessories.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:50 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yup, good to go there. The ball height is set for a Silverado 2500 4x4 in the picture, so it might be even better with the height set for the Ex.

The trailer was my wife's grandparents' and Grandpa passed away recently so I bought it from Grandma to keep in the family. They towed a lot, so Grandpa had all the fixins, so the trailer came with a nice hitch, sway bar, and plenty of accessories.
Excellent - a good start for sure.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:29 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts

That trailer is a beauty, glad you could keep it in the family. Getting the hitch set up for your truck is essential and will help with how it sits. If you are unsure of the proper procedure, just speak up and one of us can walk you through it. A trip to the scale makes it pretty easy.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:07 PM
Watcher58
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I put in a new park assist module thinking it was the problem why 2 sensors(middle) work and outside (2 new sensors at each location and they tick) don't work. Guess what--it was not the problem!!!! sunuva!!!!!

Old 05-18-2015, 10:08 PM
El_Coqui
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaned/degreased the engine bay again and the underside of Brutus....paid a lot 9th attention to the valley which had been full of oil thanks to a leaky epbv. Now that that's gone should be good to go for a while....now I gotta figure getting oil stains off my driveway before the HOA comes knocking

Old 05-18-2015, 10:10 PM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
Ok, so if you are thinking about doing a V10 Banks Header swap yourself, contemplate a few things about your life first. This is not an easy job. I had 5 broken exhaust manifold bolts, and 4 of them were below the surface of the head. The broken studs were actually the easiest part to fix of all of this.

Tom, I take everything you say on this forum as rock solid. Thank you so much for all of your input and help! I honestly can say I would not have gone for the Banks Headers if it wasn't for you! However, I don't recommend welding nuts on your broken exhaust studs unless you have had experience welding. I am a "welder" as in I weld 1/4" - 3/8" metal to 1/4" - 3/8" metal. The thinnest material I've welded on is 1/16", poorly I might add. I tried this method and I messed up the outside edge of the flange my exhaust manifold.

I recommend buying a right angle drill. Don't get the flex ends, they are useless for "precision drilling" like this. If you can not cut down an old punch to use to center punch the stud, use a dremel tool to "center punch" it. This is the critical part, do not skip it.

Don't waste your money on reverse thread drill bits. They are handy, and one of the suds I was drilling actually came loose while reverse drilling it, but if your drill isn't centered and you don't know how to handle a drill when it sticks (essentially what happens here), it will break the bit and then you will be in a world of hurt. Get high quality regular drill bits and an easy out kit. Drill it at 1/16", 5/64", or 3/32". You only need to drill into it 1/2" or less. If you can't tap the easy out in for it to grab, drill a little deeper. It takes a light tap with your ratchet to seat it.

Important: If you feel it flex very much while trying to twist it out, STOP. Shoot it with some PB or WD40 and give it a couple of minutes (drink a beer). Try one more time, if it doesn't budge with even EASY pressure, use a 1/8" drill bit and move up to the next size easy out, or extractor.

I did spend 250 bucks on the right angle drill, but when I buy tools, I don't buy crap. I bought the Milwaulkee Right Angle Drill with variable speed and reversible (they sell non reversible drills btw.... why?) I wanted to get the Dewalt brand, but all they had was the cordless version. I don't really care for the giant battery pack being in the way of the good angles, and in my cause would not have worked.

Anyway, moral of the story: I can't wait to be finished!

My niece helped! Sort of. lol

Good stuff.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:14 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by El_Coqui
Cleaned/degreased the engine bay again and the underside of Brutus....paid a lot 9th attention to the valley which had been full of oil thanks to a leaky epbv. Now that that's gone should be good to go for a while....now I gotta figure getting oil stains off my driveway before the HOA comes knocking
JuanHuevos could use your help with this

Old 05-18-2015, 10:46 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Pumped 21 gallons on Friday, picked up a whole bunch of Supertech Mercon V to do a trans flush on Wednesday also all the tools and such needed. Also used it to hall a new kayak and tent home from Costco.

Name:  20150515_151942_zps8ombn7r0.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  687.7 KB

Name:  20150506_191005_zpsmgkmjzta.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  254.4 KB

Name:  20150518_132924_zpse0ikcf8e.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  576.3 KB

Name:  20150515_152516_zpswvsinibr.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  203.3 KB

Old 05-18-2015, 10:48 PM
Technologiq
Elder User
I *almost* wished I bought aftermarket for the '05 nose since I disassembled the ENTIRE bumper assembly to remove the bumper pad only to realize I had to undo 4 screws and pull those *************ing plastic trees out to get it off. After I finally got it off the desire to go aftermarket disappeared. Now the bumper pad goes in for painting and in the mean time I still need to source a header panel and clean everything else up. I'm hoping to do it this weekend.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:17 PM
Watcher58
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by El_Coqui
Use disc brake cleaner spray--works great wipe quickly as it evaporates rapidly.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:29 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
David, I like the new boards personally.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:36 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by carbon coupe
Im thinking its pushing too much to the batteries?? Everything works fine and theres plenty of juice, didnt put the meter on it yet, so I think its ok. I checked it over at the show and there are no loose wires or grounds. Any suggestions?
Need a compass to point you in the right direction, and in this case, the compass is a multimeter.

Until you put a meter on the battery and the alternator with the engine off and running, we can't really give proper advice.

Stewart

Old 05-19-2015, 12:30 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Well guys, I made a decision tonight regarding my Excursion. It has pained me for the last 10 months to watch it sit in the driveway. I only fill it up every few months and drive it to work occasionally or take it if i need extra seating. I watch my baby that was once doing 30-40 miles a day just sit there like a sad puppy. I can't take it anymore......

This is why, this long weekend (I have a 4 day weekend) the Excursion will no longer sit idle in the driveway. She shall make another epic road trip!!!!! To a place i've never been before! This long weekend we will be taking the Excursion loaded down of course North to Cantwell, AK. There we will get on the Denali Highway connects the Parks Highway and Richardson Highway (Two of Alaska's few main highways) past the Alaska Range! The Denali Highway is 135 miles, only 24 of those miles are paved, the rest is gravel. I'll connect back up with the Richardson Highway at Paxson, AK. I'll be carrying the factory spare tire, a tire plug kit, air compressor and small floor jack, not much else could be needed with the mighty V10. The temps will be in the 70s/80s per the forecast and blue sky..how could one pass up the opportunity??

I'll check all the fluids in the Ex this week and get her loaded up...I'm excited! The last real trip she made was to Mccarthy, AK in 2013.

Here is a map of the road and a few photos stolen off Facebook of the road.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denali_Highway
Name:  FB_IMG_1432012914658_zpsgzhqm962.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  28.4 KB
Name:  FB_IMG_1432012926396_zpsnw2gdubp.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  96.7 KB
Name:  FB_IMG_1432012933040_zpsfrnbceyq.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  30.0 KB

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?