Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 08:20 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
Driven by old guys around town and a few trips to Valdez.
WTH Russ, be nice

Old 04-27-2015, 08:22 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by IMASAP
So I ordered a Bilstein replacement steering damper on Amazon.... well, apparently I somehow ordered two. So its a loss to pay return shipping to send one back. So do I sell one on CL and take a small hit that way? Or.... just keep the second one, so in two years when the first one looks like crap I just swap in the second one??

No ...... great idea ! Just make a couple simple brackets and make the single into a dual stabilizer !!

So I spend my Sunday doing just that, at a cost of $8 in hardware.

And as I stand back and admire my work....... I realize I've just turned my ruck into a mall crawler.
I read that, got excited, was gonna offer to PayPal you for it since I'm planning on ordering one with my next box of summit parts, then got to the end. Oh well. Lol.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:44 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

As I mocked it up I could see it was going to hang down lower than I wanted, but once I drug the welder out I couldn't turn back. Unfortunately too overcast today to take any decent pics with my phone. It's not below the bottom of the pumpkin, but its close. Standing, it looks well below the bottom of the pumpkin. I may end up cutting off the brackets I added and returning it to the single. Didn't have a chance to take it for a ride tonight. Anyone want to offer an opinion..... positive or negative??

Old 04-27-2015, 10:08 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
I've had bad luck with the steering stabilizers. Wish someone would fab up a higher location.

Attached Images      
Old 04-27-2015, 11:17 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Don't blame the steering stabilizer. You chose that line!

Old 04-27-2015, 11:37 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by wpnaes
I've had bad luck with the steering stabilizers. Wish someone would fab up a higher location.
Answer:

Old 04-28-2015, 12:48 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
WTH Russ, be nice

Hey, I can say things like that now, I turn 26 very soon

Old 04-28-2015, 01:35 AM
BoatDreamin
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spring time maintenance

This week there's a lot planned.
New speakers all around (10 year old stock sound flat)
New 5100 shocks all around and stabilizer (waiting in garage)
Rear drive shaft gets new U joints and balance
Rear blocks to add 1.5" to restore a little rake but level out with the 700lb added leafs in the front (done before winter)
Oil change
Trans flush w/ filter(s)

Next week;
Coolant flush to ELC
New Intake system (possible just replacement filter stock/aftermarket- any thoughts)
4" exhaust
Manual hubs upgraded

Future;
Save MORE money and
Bullet proof the motor.

Love working on a good ol truck!!

Old 04-28-2015, 06:32 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
Got my alternator back fixed and ready to go. Installed and working perfectly. No call or paperwork, just fixed for free and returned! Love it. So now I have an extra stock one. Always nice to have extra parts.

After dealing with the lower crash bar (trans line popped off cooler), I think Im going to build my own support and use the newer style air dam. Or maybe an after market part.....or maybe make one.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:54 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Sad morning! Dam light turned on the dash on my way to town.

Name:  3AAEBFF1-A1BB-4BCB-87E7-3B9CA214DA2F.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  161.4 KB

But this will be the first full up this year!

Old 04-28-2015, 07:21 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
Sad morning! Dam light turned on the dash on my way to town.

But this will be the first full up this year!

That does suck. But going by Russ, when you have a v10 you have to fill up every time you drive it.

Every year before I put my X in storage I fill the tank. Sure is a nice feeling every spring pulling it out with a full tank! I put on about 300+ miles since I brought it out already and it is still at 3/4 tank!

Old 04-28-2015, 07:39 AM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Received 4,678 Likes on 2,606 Posts
Got back from vacation to find a poster-board sign in the front yard that read "Please drive slowly -- Party in Progress". It was interesting as I saw no evidence of a party at the house and I certainly wasn't invited if there was one!

After parking the boat and Ex I walked down to the mailbox to pick up a week's mail. Just 100' down the road a deputy was parked in the deep grass on the road shoulder. The muddy trails were obvious and the spin marks under his wheels suggested he was going to be there a while. Sure enough he was stuck. I offered to pull him out but he already had a wrecker on the way.

We finished unloading the Ex and were about to head out to dinner when the deputy pulled up the driveway. He said there was a pickup stuck just past where he had been stuck and wondered if we could pull him out.

So the Ex went where no Toyota dared and pulled the Titan out of the mud. (It should be noted that I never bothered to put her in 4 wheel drive.) It was obvious that the car parked up from the Titan was also stuck, as was another truck near the bottom of the hill.

So the Ex saved the Titan drive a $100 towing bill to get him unstuck. The deputy thanked me, but the Toyota driver wasn't as gracious. Not sure what happened to the others as their owners weren't around and we headed off to eat.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:45 AM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
I no longer drive my truck near anything soft. It weighs 8300 lbs and sinks and once it does, it takes heavy equipment to get unstuck. If my winch cable reached I'd give it a go, otherwise I'd pass.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:42 AM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hasteranger
I no longer drive my truck near anything soft. It weighs 8300 lbs and sinks and once it does, it takes heavy equipment to get unstuck. If my winch cable reached I'd give it a go, otherwise I'd pass.

No kidding, last year in the spring I drove my ex into the front yard while jockeying my trailer to turn around. I sunk the front end about 8 inches into the ground and made two big ol ruts trying to get out....my old suburban tugged me out. The wife was pissed and the yard is just getting back to looking good there.

We live on a busy street with at times, lots of traffic so I couldn't back out.

On a different note I put about 150 miles on the freeway yesterday. And without hesitation I can know say hammering in the zerks on the lower ball joints worked and has taken away that last bit if steering wander, or maybe steering stickiness.

It is now a totally different driving experience compared to when we bought it. I wouldn't even look over my shoulder for more than a half second before if I was at any speed.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:50 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Driving down to TX. tonight to see family (not a happy trip). and can't wait to just sit in the X, turn on my James Bay and Mumford and Sons CDs and drive while my pup sleeps in the passenger seat.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?