Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 06:18 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
Automakers to gearheads: Stop repairing cars

Automakers to gearheads: Stop repairing cars

Automakers are supporting provisions in copyright law that could prohibit home mechanics and car enthusiasts from repairing and modifying their own vehicles.

In comments filed with a federal agency that will determine whether tinkering with a car constitutes a copyright violation, OEMs and their main lobbying organization say cars have become too complex and dangerous for consumers and third parties to handle.

Allowing them to continue to fix their cars has become "legally problematic," according to a written statement from the Auto Alliance, the main lobbying arm of automakers.

The dispute arises from a section of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act that no one thought could apply to vehicles when it was signed into law in 1998. But now, in an era where cars are rolling computing platforms, the U.S. Copyright Office is examining whether provisions of the law that protect intellectual property should prohibit people from modifying and tuning their cars.

Every three years, the office holds hearings on whether certain activities should be exempt from the DMCA's section 1201, which governs technological measures that protect copyrighted work. The Electronic Frontier Foundation, a nonprofit organization that advocates for individual rights in the digital world, has asked the office to ensure that enthusiasts can continue working on cars by providing exemptions that would give them the right to access necessary car components.

Interested parties have until the end of the month to file comments on the proposed rule making, and a final decision is expected by mid-year.

In comments submitted so far, automakers have expressed concern that allowing outsiders to access electronic control units that run critical vehicle functions like steering, throttle inputs and braking "leads to an imbalance by which the negative consequences far outweigh any suggested benefits," according to the Alliance of Global Automakers. In the worst cases, the organizations said an exemption for enthusiasts "leads to disastrous consequences."
I think they should stop making cars that do everything for you. People should pay attention to driving instead of doing 17 other things. We wouldnt need all the steering, brake and throttle controls if people werent stupid moron sheep.

As for locking us out of fixing our cars, its my car, I paid for it, Im going to fix it instead of paying a tech $100 an hour to do it. If they want the single right to fix my car, it had better be free and/or not fail like the junk they sell us today. I am violently opposed to any aspect of driving or vehicle control being computer controlled. I really dont want a computer making a braking or steering decision for me.

Example: I had a 2011 SD 4x4 with a diesel. I was on a snowy/slushy road in 4x4. The shoulder area was deep slush. I got cut off by some a-hole and had to take the shoulder. The pass tires got in the slush so I figured I should add some throttle so as not to get sucked into the ditch. Well, sensing slippage, the computer cut the throttle off and I had no control of the vehicle. I oozed to a stop in the slush and sat fuming for a few minutes. It was at that moment I decided to sell it. I was in what was supposed to be the baddest factory diesel tough 4x4 truck made.....and the computer almost put me in the ditch. So their claim that tampering with the dynamics of the vehicle computer control would be bad is bogus. I feel (know) there are situations that the computer cannot calculate for.

That being said, I also feel that autonomous vehicles are perfect for better than half of todays drivers. I dont want to list the categories but I will say its not an age thing. Peoples driving has been getting exponentially worse over the last 10 years. Maybe its just the area I live in, but its bad.

/rant

Old 04-21-2015, 06:27 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Just look at Chevy's new commercial where the car comes with wifi. Because that is important.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:16 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 214 Likes on 144 Posts
Cell phones and WiFi have ruined this country, not only have people become anti-social but they have become downright rude. Texts and phone calls can wait especially when driving, people need to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:19 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Michael, have you considered the GL63 AMG SUV to replace your Hummer and BMW?

AMG = OMG!

Stewart
Wife's primary is a S63 AMG, Ill take a look as I get closer

Old 04-21-2015, 07:22 AM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
Cell phones and WiFi have ruined this country, not only have people become anti-social but they have become downright rude. Texts and phone calls can wait especially when driving, people need to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:46 AM
El_Coqui
Senior User
Here I go!

Well....had to load up the $$$-zooka to fix a leaky EBPV valve. Got the ebpv valve delete pedestal and a high flow fitting for the turbo plus the assorted o-rings needed for pulling the turbo....Thanks to Toreador_Diesel for helping me diagnose my problem over the phone ....oh and got a billed compressor wheel while Im gonna have stuff pulled apart

Old 04-21-2015, 07:51 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
I don't think this is what is meant by "April Showers"....

we got that same thing this morning as well! I love it!

Old 04-21-2015, 09:47 AM
slowlanemcvane
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd been getting this intermittent CEL that would come on, stay on for a day or two, then go off, and stay off for a day or two. Been burning B5 in my truck, due to the cost of the B5 being 15-20 cents per gallon less than straight diesel in my neck of the woods. Last time I filled up my tank, I put straight diesel in it (due to it being 10 cents per gallon cheaper this time around) with a cetane booster and a fuel conditioner and sulfur substitute, and my CEL went out immediately. It came on once more, a couple of days after my fill up, but went out the next time I started my truck, and hasn't been on since (200 miles now) so fingers crossed.

Anyone else run across a problem with running B5 in their trucks?

Old 04-21-2015, 10:01 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
Just look at Chevy's new commercial where the car comes with wifi. Because that is important.
Right, and that chick at the end needs a bat to the head.

Just take a few minutes out of your day and look at how humans are depicted in commercials. Fat, dumb over-consuming sheep is what they think of us as a whole. This is why I hate to be grouped with that demographic and hate people in general. The majority has set the standard for all because of greed, stupidity and laziness. I am a minority in many ways.

Anyway, I found an OEM alternator for my EX to bridge the gap of mine being repaired. Always nice to have an extra. Just dont want the beastie disabled for too long.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:57 AM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Those new Chevy trucks also have wireless phone chargers built into the console, and seat vibrators in various parts of the seat cushion that coincide with the lights on the dash regarding proximity sensors.

There will be a time when there will be very few, that are very mechanical & capable now, can actually work on their own vehicles - law or not.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:10 AM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Sometimes I fear that I was born too late.

I love working on vehicles, but I look at new vehicles and know that there is just too much electronics coming along.

Luckily, and thankfully, my grandfathers 76 F100 Custom that he bought new is sitting in one of my Uncle's storage garages. Some day he and I are going to fire it back up, and I know it's coming to me eventually. Never winter driven, in mint shape. Was just put into storage in 2008 as he couldn't get up into it anymore. I have a lot of great memories in that truck, and intend on passing it onto my grandkids.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:04 PM
bcrewcaptain
More Turbo
Originally Posted by A Rodder
Those new Chevy trucks also have wireless phone chargers built into the console, and seat vibrators in various parts of the seat cushion that coincide with the lights on the dash regarding proximity sensors.

There will be a time when there will be very few, that are very mechanical & capable now, can actually work on their own vehicles - law or not.
agreed, which is why I have 3 projects sitting and waiting on me that are pre-1980(which I guess at this point is old school).
I promised myself years ago, that my kid and I would be building a car together like I did with my old man, he's six now, so it's almost time to clear some space in the garage and roll whichever one he chooses in and start working. None of these have more than a handful of wires including spark plugs, and will actually require the use of a timing light(they still make those?).

Old 04-21-2015, 12:44 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by slowlanemcvane
I'd been getting this intermittent CEL that would come on, stay on for a day or two, then go off, and stay off for a day or two. Been burning B5 in my truck, due to the cost of the B5 being 15-20 cents per gallon less than straight diesel in my neck of the woods. Last time I filled up my tank, I put straight diesel in it (due to it being 10 cents per gallon cheaper this time around) with a cetane booster and a fuel conditioner and sulfur substitute, and my CEL went out immediately. It came on once more, a couple of days after my fill up, but went out the next time I started my truck, and hasn't been on since (200 miles now) so fingers crossed.

Anyone else run across a problem with running B5 in their trucks?
I haven't had a problem running B5 in mine at all. Mine seems to like the taste of B5 over the dry straight diesel in my area.

What light is coming on?

Water in Fuel or the check engine light?

What codes?

Old 04-21-2015, 02:20 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
Wife's primary is a S63 AMG, Ill take a look as I get closer
Get a second one in Steel Grey Metallic and send it my way!

Stewart

Old 04-21-2015, 03:01 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Get a second one in Steel Grey Metallic and send it my way!

Stewart
We have the coupe, it was 170 out the door so simply put NO I can't send one to you. You should have asked for our CL600 that we traded in, you would have stood a better chance

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?