Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 08:04 PM
gots_a_sol
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Huge fan of the duratracs. Have them on my work truck and Ex (stock sizes on both)

Old 01-25-2015, 08:30 PM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I cut down a few trees and used the Ex to transport the wood back to the front of the house for chopping.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:49 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by nmclella
After doing a lot of reading I am really liking the idea of 285/75/16 Wrangler Duratracs. The reviews online are fantastic. Here is a pic I found doing a generic google search that led me back to Korfanjoe's excursion, which I thought was pretty cool. This is stock suspension and rims with the wheels I am looking at. Looks great I think! Here is a pic of the difference between 255/75/17s and 285/75/17s. I would be going from 245s to 285s so an even bigger difference. I think it would really beef up the look of the truck. The Bridgestone R265s that I have on now are the worst. Glad they were practically free. They may do fine as a highway tire, but any amount of snow or slush and they are helpless. I also have hydroplaned a few times with them, whereas before I had never hydroplaned in the Excursion, atleast never to the point where I had a whiteknuckle moment.
You'll love the Duratrac's they're a great tire. I went out on a limb when I got my current treads, it was either Duratrac's or these Fierce Attitude MT's. They've been a good tire, but I'll be going with Duratrac's again when they wear out. Had the DT's on a few Jeeps and loved them.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:17 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
found out this morning my battery is dead because she has been sitting for 1+ months in the garage. unfortunately the garage door tension spring broke a few days ago, so I can't get the door open to jump start and revive the beast.
Who'd of thought that stupid garage door spring would generate so much force that you cannot open it?

I miss my X! Need to get her road legal so I can park the Challenger in the garage instead.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:22 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Tylus
found out this morning my battery is dead because she has been sitting for 1+ months in the garage. unfortunately the garage door tension spring broke a few days ago, so I can't get the door open to jump start and revive the beast. Who'd of thought that stupid garage door spring would generate so much force that you cannot open it? I miss my X! Need to get her road legal so I can park the Challenger in the garage instead.
Had one of my door springs break in the last house. Figured it wasn't a big deal, but a two car door made out of wood is heeeaaaaavy.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:30 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
this door has 2 springs that counter-weight each other. 1 spring for up and 1 spring for down. ideally they are tensioned so that the door can open/shut with 1 hand.

up until Saturday that was the case. Door opened like butter. But my wife was leaving the house and shut the door. It went 1/2 way down and she heard a massive "bang". The door slammed shut and crunch the lowest aluminum panel a bit, and ripped the linkage off the door.

The "up" spring snapped. This left the "down" spring putting 100% force down. I'm 6'3" @ 300 lbs...and I can't get the door to budge. The aluminum frame of the door is bending when I try.

Scary stuff. I was going to "fix it", but my wife saw the carnage and convinced me to let a profesional do it. Just gotta wait for one to show up now

Old 01-25-2015, 11:03 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Door springs scare me, we did a lot of box van door repairs and they can seriously hurt you if you don't know what you are doing.

-5F right now, supposed to hit as low as -25F tonight in parts of town. First real winter temps we've seen in awhile. The Ex is outside collecting frost...

I really like Dura Tracs, one company we work with upfits all there trucks with them before they go to work. The GMC i drove in Deadhorse,AK a little over a week ago had them on it and it handled great on the ice/snow pack in temps from -35F to -15F. I would not mind a set of them for summer when the current summer tires wear out on my Expedition.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:12 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
since we seem to be talking about tires, has anyone heard anything about Atturo Trail Blade MT tires? They seem to be getting good comments online, but I have yet to find a real solid review on the tires. Even Four Wheeler Magazine seemed to only give them a small writeup... Atturo Trail Blade M/T - Tire Review - 4 Wheel & Off Road Magazine

Please note, the ones they tested were D rated, the ones I have been looking at are E rated...

Old 01-25-2015, 11:12 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Pull the "emergency" cord that disconnects the door from the motor and all that. Then it's a matter of just the weight of the door.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:15 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Originally Posted by USCG_PA
since we seem to be talking about tires, has anyone heard anything about Atturo Trail Blade MT tires? They seem to be getting good comments online, but I have yet to find a real solid review on the tires. Even Four Wheeler Magazine seemed to only give them a small writeup... Atturo Trail Blade M/T - Tire Review - 4 Wheel & Off Road Magazine

Please note, the ones they tested were D rated, the ones I have been looking at are E rated...

Thought your plan was to get away from M/T's? Something a little more road friendly.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:17 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
Thought your plan was to get away from M/T's? Something a little more road friendly.
I was/am, but I am also always looking for that "good deal." These have a really good price, so I figured I would ask

I am also looking at wheels from 16" to 22" or even just getting my current ones powder coated...

Old 01-25-2015, 11:22 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

I was/am, but I am also always looking for that "good deal." These have a really good price, so I figured I would ask

I am also looking at wheels from 16" to 22" or even just getting my current ones powder coated...
I can tell you the price of tires goes up considerably then you get to 22's...buying new tires for the F-150 is going to be spendy, makes the 20" tires for the Ex seem CHEAP.

I have found a new issue with technology...i need a heated backup camera haha

Name:  017_zpsbd541f21.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  1.00 MB
Name:  016_zps6b604768.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  1.02 MB

Old 01-25-2015, 11:33 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Lookout! It is the all seeing eye!

at least when it is brushed off

Old 01-25-2015, 11:56 PM
truck7575
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Good tires cost more money and are never cheap because they require good technology and lots of R&D which costs a considerable investment thus pulling a larger price to make up for the technology R&D. If they are cheap and they didnt get much print space in the off road mag id say they arent worth your time.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:21 AM
BoatDreamin
New User
So, no snow here, but it is the Oregon Coast, and 90% of the time it just rains, like it is doing right now...

Today I picked up some Diesel Extreme, and will be running it through the system at my next fuel up. I have heard good things about the product, so I can't wait to see if it makes any difference.

I too just filled up with Diesel Extreme and am hoping for good results. The 32 oz should be gone within a tank and a half so I should have results by end of next week with my light travels at the moment... Unless it snows than Ill put some miles on. Best of luck to you

Visited Oregon some time back and Its much more scenic than flat as_ Chicago. Cold rain sucks but snow only means SALT and we know what that does to trucks :/

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?