Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 12:45 PM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Wdnich
This weekend was a two thrash session of work on the Ex.
1. Complete front end rebuild, internals and suspension.
2. Replaced all the tie rods, ball joints, bearings, and seals. Upgraded all the stock rubber bushings to poly-urethane.
3. New seals in differential, ring and pinon, and bearings inspected. Fluids changed. New shocks front and back.
4. Axles rebuild with new u-joins and factory seals. The outer axle tube dust seals were upgraded to the new style. I am really impressed, lets see how long they last.
5. All the drive shafts got new universals, and adapted a rancho shock boot to replace the factory rubber yoke seal. Got tired of it busting and tearing.
6. Brakes rebuilt on front end, calipers replaced with Power-stop, as well as their pads.
7. AC compressor, condenser, drier, and accumulator replaced from last summers compressor going nuclear. All the lines were flushed. Got super cold ac now.
8. New rear shocks to match the front
9. Transmission, and power steering were flushed and fluids refilled. As well as transfer case fluid drained and refilled. Hopefully will get rear differential done when I return from Florida next week.

All in all a really busy saturday and sunday. And this ole body is filling it. Not a spring chicken no more. Glad I got away from wrench turning for a living , I could not do it now.
Holy crap!! Thats a lot of work. Kudos!

Old 06-11-2014, 01:33 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by carbon coupe
Holy crap!! Thats a lot of work. Kudos!
I love work, I can sit and watch it all day.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:07 PM
Az_Ray
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats Miles!

Old 06-11-2014, 07:03 PM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
Ok, I give up, where in the H E double hockey sticks do I find an access hole in the dash to get my boost signal tube through??!!?!?!?!

Old 06-11-2014, 07:49 PM
Az_Ray
Senior User
Might have a new member soon.

I think I might have given my brother the "Excursion bug" from when he was out in AZ back in January. He's looking at a 2000 xlt steel blue(I believe that's what you call that color) 4x4 with a 7.3 that's got 248,xxx on it. The guy is asking $7700 for it. Needs some work on it(tires probably ball joints and some small oil leaks). I wish I didn't live so far from him I could check it over with him.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:48 PM
NorthwesternCowboy
Laughing Gas
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Month later and the Ex is running great after replacing seals/gaskets on the tranny.

In other local Northwest news, the Mecum auctions is going on at Century Link Field in Seattle this weekend. My wife's uncle has a handful of cars being auctioned off there this weekend and he had them out on display at his birthday last weekend. Let us take pictures in them and fired a them up a few times. Love them old autos. Hopefully I can restore one myself one of these days.

If anyone in the area is looking for something to do this weekend, might be fun to check out. Looks like it will be a bunch of fun and open to all ($20 admission). Here's a link to the schedule: Mecum

These are the rigs I got to see this weekend:
1952 Ford F5 Roll Back
Supercharged Triton V-10, 4 beds, air ride suspension, 4 different beds
Name:  wVx6F0H.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  190.9 KB
More details here: Mecum

1956 Ford F100
Unibody, twin-supercharged 5.0L
Fired this up twice at his party, man... Them superchargers make a LOT of noise.
Name:  O2LPtse.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  170.6 KB
Name:  2OwUe71.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  187.4 KB

1957 Chevy Bel Air
Originally restored by Sam Foose, 406 small block with Nitrous
Name:  U1FuGrG.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  141.4 KB

I don't mean to be breaking any rules with the links or anything, as I have no stake in any of these vehicles or the auction. Just looks like a fun weekend up ahead. This ground's gonna be shaking and air's gonna be filled with the smell of high octane fuel here in the land of the prius cars!!!

Old 06-11-2014, 09:50 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
So I am thinking more and more about looking for the GREEN and tan 7.3 2wd X I always wanted.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:12 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
So, my mechanic posted an update and a picture of my engine.

Here is what he posted and the pic...

"Bullet Proof Diesel's Oil Cooler Delete/ Filter Bypass, block all cleaned, ready for heads from machine shop one wicked Excursion coming!!!!"

Old 06-12-2014, 01:04 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Completed the sniff test emissions, vacuumed the inside and washed the upper half of the windows. Never seems to get clean with the visors on. Will give it a full wash next week after the coming rain and planned clam digging trip.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:08 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006lariat
That one dude has the most bad *** D A I've ever seen!
Originally Posted by EXv10
You're showing your age....lol That's not a DA it's a waterfall and they are probably Filipino.
What are you referring to with the DA comment?

Old 06-12-2014, 01:36 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Jeez guys, my last fill-up in the Ex was May 26th! 16 days ago! typically i'm filling up every 5-10 depending on the week, I've been driving the Oldsmobile a lot recently so that has drastically cut down on miles going on the Ex. I'm not sure what i'm going to do once i get the new truck i'll be splitting time between daily drivers and forgetting phone chargers, garage door openers and paperwork between 3 vehicle's (its already a pain in the butt). I feel like i'm not spending enough quality time with the Ex

Old 06-12-2014, 01:55 AM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Russ,

You could always have some of us come up and drive them around for you!!

Old 06-12-2014, 02:02 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by wallz
Russ,

You could always have some of us come up and drive them around for you!!
haha i suppose that could be an option, but i dont really like anyone but me driving my trucks, its just one of those things, seeing as how the last time my dad drove one of my trucks a school bus totaled it and he got hurt!

I think the biggest pain in the butt is forgetting stuff in the wrong vehicle.

I know, its a real "first world problem" and not really a problem at all actually.

But i will say last month was one of the cheapest months for fuel in the Ex in my history of having it, and that includes the 9 months i was unemployed The Olds getting 10-14ish mpg does make a difference in what i spent in gas money, compared to 8 mpg.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:20 AM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx

But i will say last month was one of the cheapest months for fuel in the Ex in my history of having it, and that includes the 9 months i was unemployed The Olds getting 10-14ish mpg does make a difference in what i spent in gas money, compared to 8 mpg.

That is why I ride my mountain bike to work all summer. I usually put 1-2 tanks on the X in about 4 months.

The wife gets around 15 mpg on the Expy with in town mixed, so it is cheaper than the X, but it will take a few years for the curve to catch up to the initial cost.

Russ,

You ordering yourself a 2015?

Old 06-12-2014, 07:03 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
What are you referring to with the DA comment?
DA is the 50's haircut cause it looks like a ducks a$$.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?