Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 07:34 AM
sammie0126
Postmaster
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Tylus
so...

this 2000 Navigator Wheel

this PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Adapter (for my Pioneer HU)
= hands free radio control...makes me happy. found this awesome post from a while back on how another user integrated a Navi Wheel to the Excursion clockspring. pretty ingenious IMO. Quoted below is a EDITED version of what he did. I found out what the 1 wire does.
it works amazingly. No hesitation, acts OEM. Extremely happy with this mod overall. Best $100 I've spent (total) in a long time
I dont know who Cmcneal is but what a great post, I didn't see it when it was originally posted but I'm going to go rep him for now anyway. Not that I'm planning to change my wheel but he is obviously one of the rare folks with vehicle wiring knowledge and most impressive is the way he lays it out, he wrote that so even us "wiring stooopid" folks could do it.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:11 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts
In my quest to swap all the fluids the PO never did on my '05 Excursion, I'm finally to the rear diff and gave my truck the Royal treatment:

Name:  60C0A898-E6F3-49DE-A746-A0FD17AAAFD1_zpsiafiafyv.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  115.9 KB

The existing fluid looked ok considering it'd never been changed, but closer inspection revealed that at almost 140K, it was overdue.

After the 2008 diff cover and Royal Purple 75W140, my 6.0 drives and accelerates SOOOO much smoother.

Next on the list:

-Front Diff fluid
-Wagner Severe Duty brake pads all around
-Complete trans flush with 2008 pan and filter

Old 04-04-2014, 08:17 AM
Clay H
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
In my quest to swap all the fluids the PO never did on my '05 Excursion, I'm finally to the rear diff and gave my truck the Royal treatment:
I need to do this soon. Truck had 201k on it when I bought it and he had every repair receipt that was ever done and nothing showing he ever serviced the rear end. The cover is a rust bucket also so it needs to go.
4 quarts is what it holds?

Old 04-04-2014, 09:27 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Originally Posted by Clay H
I need to do this soon. Truck had 201k on it when I bought it and he had every repair receipt that was ever done and nothing showing he ever serviced the rear end. The cover is a rust bucket also so it needs to go.
4 quarts is what it holds?
3.5 quarts is what it holds.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:36 AM
Clay H
Elder User
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
After the 2008 diff cover and Royal Purple 75W140, my 6.0 drives and accelerates SOOOO much smoother.
I just read a story about the RP 75W140:

I thought I would share my finding and experience with Royal Purple 75w-140 limited slip diff oil. Several months back I serviced my LSD and used the Royal Purple 75w-140 thinking this stuff is really good after reading reviews and all. So a couple days ago I noticed my truck was only spinning my right rear tire on the lawn while pulling a large holly bush. I knew I had a LSD and couldn't understand why both tires were spinning. Hcorey recommended a company in Fletcher NC since it was only a couple hours from where I live to get it checked. I called the guy yesterday who was super nice and told me to get the RP out because it was way to slick and would not allow the clutches to catch and lock up. Also that in the Sterling and other LSD he builds he only uses conventional 85w-140 and the LSD additive. So last night I changed my LSD fluid and added Motorcraft friction modifier. This morning I checked to see if the LSD was working properly here at work in the parking lot and heck yeah, both tire locked up perfectly. Thought you guys might like to know this.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:40 AM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Diesel had a 10cent/litre drop here today! Woopwoop! Just when I hit E too, combine that with the 20 cents savings/litre from coupons and its a nice break for the wallet.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:56 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod

I thought I would share my finding and experience with Royal Purple 75w-140 limited slip diff oil. Several months back I serviced my LSD and used the Royal Purple 75w-140 thinking this stuff is really good after reading reviews and all. So a couple days ago I noticed my truck was only spinning my right rear tire on the lawn while pulling a large holly bush. I knew I had a LSD and couldn't understand why both tires were spinning. Hcorey recommended a company in Fletcher NC since it was only a couple hours from where I live to get it checked. I called the guy yesterday who was super nice and told me to get the RP out because it was way to slick and would not allow the clutches to catch and lock up. Also that in the Sterling and other LSD he builds he only uses conventional 85w-140 and the LSD additive. So last night I changed my LSD fluid and added Motorcraft friction modifier. This morning I checked to see if the LSD was working properly here at work in the parking lot and heck yeah, both tire locked up perfectly. Thought you guys might like to know this.
Interesting...

I actually thought about getting 85w140 too. I'll "test" the limited slip when I get home later and see what it does.

Either way its staying in until it's due for a change or I manage to submerge the diff.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:56 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I am currently experiencing the same with my rear diff. I used Valvoline synthetic with the modifier already mixed in. Only get 1 tire fire at the moment. Prior to fluid change it was always a 2 wheel peel

Too lazy to remove cover and swap in new stuff at this point. Probably do it when I get new tires

Old 04-04-2014, 11:07 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Tylus
looking good there Russ. need more meat on those rims
yeah i know a lot of people think that also, but with only 3.73's i'm not going to loose any more power by going with a larger tire. thats why i stuck with 275/55 20's when i bought these to keep the same overall height as stock 16s. plus unlike most people i like some room in he fender well

Old 04-04-2014, 12:30 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
yeah i know a lot of people think that also, but with only 3.73's i'm not going to loose any more power by going with a larger tire. thats why i stuck with 275/55 20's when i bought these to keep the same overall height as stock 16s. plus unlike most people i like some room in he fender well
Me too!!!!

Everybody keeps asking me if I'm going to swap over my 35s to the '05 and the answer is no!

1. I like the 17+ mpg I get out of my '05 with stock tire size and the room in the fender well.

2. The '01 would look down right goofy with 265s on, lmbo!

Old 04-04-2014, 01:00 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Russ,

I just saw that this is ahead for you this weekend... Looks like winter is out to give one of those spring blows. Good luck with those crazy ditch divers and their Subarus.

Don't take the snow tires off just yet! Winter is not over yet.

There is increasing confidence that accumulating snow will revisit portions of Southcentral Alaska late this weekend and early next week as a low pressure system moves in from the Arctic.

The potential for accumulating snow may begin as early as Sunday or Sunday night across the Susitna Valley and southward into Anchorage with periods of snow possibly lasting through Monday.

Temperatures will then rapidly drop well below freezing behind the arctic front Monday night with the potential for exposed roads to become icy.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:39 PM
04fivefour
Senior User
Well It didn't happen today but rather a week ago.

Name:  922C0C6B-75B4-4F39-8652-B044F4E79C40_zpsgxhvewsi.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  63.7 KB

My u Joints gave out and my drive shaft become a projectile at 65mph. It hit my transfer case and shattered the output shaft housing into a few pieces. the only reason the transfer case stayed attached to the truck was the front drive shaft.

Name:  F5CE333E-83E0-4B37-9C92-A4CBBC3312DB_zpsahgfolzl.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  74.9 KB

Fairly traumatic for me and my wife. The drive shaft was laying in the middle of I-70 and got ran over by a few semi trucks.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:55 PM
sammie0126
Postmaster
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 04fivefour

My u Joints gave out and my drive shaft become a projectile at 65mph. It hit my transfer case and shattered the output shaft housing into a few pieces. the only reason the transfer case stayed attached to the truck was the front drive shaft.

Fairly traumatic for me and my wife. The drive shaft was laying in the middle of I-70 and got ran over by a few semi trucks.
Man I bet that was a white knuckle, butt puckering, eye ***** wide, praying screech to a stop from 65mph. Yikes!

Old 04-04-2014, 04:29 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting, when I did my diffs a few months back I was told the same by my local truck shop. So, I ended up using OEM at the dealer.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:36 PM
jamesbfishin
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 04fivefour

WOW, did I saw WOW. One of those things that I think about every so often running down the road, what if....

Good thing is it didnt do anything more damaging like causing an accident , glad you and the wife are ok

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?