Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Paul T
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine got cleaned to go to the 4th of July. She had fun.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Paul T
More Turbo
Here is another.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:41 AM
locknload223
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by VR6Nutt
The X was hard to start Sunday morning. Thought the kids must of left lights on or something. So went with the family to Home Depot. Upon leaving, no start! Friend gave me a jump. Limped home. Weird thing is no accessories worked at all, except A/C. Got it home and tested voltages. Was 7V coming from alternator. Got a new one from Autozone and a new serp. belt why I was at it. In the process I realized the geniuses at Ford designed the top rad hose to go thru the belt! WTH? Drained some coolant, removed hose. Back together now, charging properly. But my damn ABS light is on now! Any ideas?

I know it's too late now but you could have installed the Napa 9066 upper hose. It's set up for dual alternators and routes behind the hose. It wouldn't help you now but will next time.

Sorry, can't help ya with the ABS light, mine's on too. Could be a frayed wire coming from your the inside of your hub up to the plug (follow the line wire next to the brake and vacuum lines). Also could be a front wheel speed sensor or may be your rear wheel speed sensor on the rear diff (around $20 from Autozone).

Old 07-11-2011, 01:23 PM
VR6Nutt
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by locknload223
I know it's too late now but you could have installed the Napa 9066 upper hose. It's set up for dual alternators and routes behind the hose. It wouldn't help you now but will next time.

Sorry, can't help ya with the ABS light, mine's on too. Could be a frayed wire coming from your the inside of your hub up to the plug (follow the line wire next to the brake and vacuum lines). Also could be a front wheel speed sensor or may be your rear wheel speed sensor on the rear diff (around $20 from Autozone).
Thanks. I did some reading postmortem and realized the alternate hose was available. Oh well - should be good for another 30-50k. I think Autozone has a scanner that can check ABS codes - I'll have to see if I can "borrow" it. I was wondering how a ABS light can trigger from power failures - or if its possible.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:31 PM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Received 4,678 Likes on 2,606 Posts
Thanks. I did some reading postmortem and realized the alternate hose was available. Oh well - should be good for another 30-50k. I think Autozone has a scanner that can check ABS codes - I'll have to see if I can "borrow" it. I was wondering how a ABS light can trigger from power failures - or if its possible.
A low-voltage condition can actually wreak havoc on a lot of electrical components. But most automotive electronics is engineered to be very forgiving. Batteries and alternators will fail and it would be a public relations nightmare for all of the electrical components to need replacing just because a battery failed.

I wouldn't expect a complete coincidence here, but perhaps the ABS sensor was already marginal or the diagnosis/repair affected a wire or connector related to the ABS?

Old 07-11-2011, 01:55 PM
jd58980
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
VR,

Check the brake fluid level. If the brake fluid is low, the ABS light will turn on. If the fluid is fine, wiggle or play with the float. Sometimes they stick and trigger the light.

Hope that helps.

( I have had this happen to both my explorers and excursion.)

Old 07-11-2011, 02:36 PM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
Spent Saturday afternoon pulling apart the rear interior to get at the rear AC. It's not working. Confirmed the blend door was working properly. I suspect it is the rear expansion valve. At least it's all de-dusted under the panels now.

Lucky me, I live in the only state that does not allow R134a to be sold to the general public. The shops get to charge $19.99 per pound.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Elmo154
Senior User
Changed Fuel Filter

Changed out the fuel filter today. De-pressurized the system but still got full of gas while disconnecting the fittings. Need a new approach next time.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:56 PM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Elmo154
Changed out the fuel filter today. De-pressurized the system but still got full of gas while disconnecting the fittings. Need a new approach next time.
Same thing happened to me. I stunk like fuel the rest of the night. UGH!

Old 07-11-2011, 07:22 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
Changed the idle air control valve. I know many suggest a cleaning, but for 50 bucks figured I would just change it out and be done with it. I never had much luck cleaning an EGR valve on other vehicles, course that's prolly apples and oranges.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:00 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 278 Likes on 141 Posts
-Got huge pair of channel locks and tightened up my loose dip stick. No more slow oil leak

-Fixed my misaligned headlights...lost/broke the flat clips that hold the headlight in place. Instead of paying $28 at the dealer for 2 (two) clips, I spent $2.99 and used two hair pins from this assortment: Dorman Help! 93036 - Hair Pins | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Headlights are perfectly aimed once more

Old 07-11-2011, 11:47 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 930 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
-Got huge pair of channel locks and tightened up my loose dip stick.
Wow, that's a tough one to watch go by without a comment Tor , but I better not...

Old 07-12-2011, 04:38 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
i filled mine up and parked it and grabbed the expedition..gotta switch'em up they get mad if you leave them sit more then a week.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:35 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 278 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by wpnaes
Wow, that's a tough one to watch go by without a comment Tor , but I better not...
I left myself wide open for that one...lol!

I could say something else, but since I'm a mod and this is a family oriented forum....

Old 07-12-2011, 09:09 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by locknload223
It's set up for dual alternators and routes behind the hose.
...hmmm...you don't say?

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?