Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Senior User

xbox73 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerCowboy View Post
Also I don't have a jack that could lift my truck with the 8" lift on it... so I'd need roadside assistance for a flat anyway.
I also have an 8" lift on my X. As a solution for a jack that could lift my X, I bought whichever bottle jack had the maximum extended height from Harbor Freight. I think it was either the 12 ton one or the 20 ton one. That was almost high enough, but not quite, so I went to Home Depot & had them cut a 1" thick 8' x 1' plank of wood into 8 separate 1' x 1' squares. By stacking a number of these 1" thick 1' x 1' squares, you can build a thick enough base for the bottle jack to get you enough extra height so the neck of the bottle jack can reach the axle tube & lift it off the ground.

Someone in a previous post suggested a high-lift jack, but unless you have heavy duty metal offroad front & rear bumpers and/or rock sliders, there isn't really anything heavy duty enough for the foot of the jack to sit under that is suitable for supporting that kind of weight. IIRC, you can buy an attachment for the foot of a high lift jack that will fit into a receiver hitch, so that may work if you have receiver hitches both front & rear. Edit: However, since both the front & rear of the X likely weigh more than the tongue weight rating of the receiver hitch, I'm not sure how wise this is, though it may work in a pinch.

I would also imagine that a high-lift jack might work well for changing a tire on an open-deck car trailer as most car trailers have a heavy duty metal frame around the outside.

Anyway, a couple of thick planks of wood as a base, and a cheap properly rated bottle jack with suitable extended height seem like a reasonably priced practical solution.

Last edited by xbox73; 04-30-2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Added point regarding receiver hitch tongue weight rating
Old 04-30-2012, 12:40 PM
Senior User

HeathJohnson is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HeathJohnson is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I love those seats and console. Beautiful!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:41 PM
Elder User

BuiltFordTough! has a great reputation on FTE.BuiltFordTough! has a great reputation on FTE.BuiltFordTough! has a great reputation on FTE.BuiltFordTough! has a great reputation on FTE.BuiltFordTough! has a great reputation on FTE.BuiltFordTough! has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathJohnson View Post
I love those seats and console. Beautiful!
They are 2,000% more comfortable then my 2002 seats were.
02 Excursion, Limited, Black/Tan, 7.3L, Auto, 4x4, Volant Stage 2 Air Intake, Unknown Custom Tune, AIH Delete, 31 Row 6.0L Transmission Cooler, Banks 6.0L Intercooler With Banks 7.3L Tubes, 08 Heated / Signal Mirrors, 08 Custom Fender Vents, 08 F350 Front Seats & Console, 08 20" HD Rims, Thule Tracker II Roof Rack Rails and Feet, IronCross HD Running Boards, Pioneer AVIC-X910BT Head Unit, Hellwig 7643 Rear Sway Bar, V/Moded B code Springs.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Virginia Chapter LDR

archtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdLtly View Post
Tim, Did you get one of these yet? DTS Articles - HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade
Click the image to open in full size.

I would use a 5 gallon bucket to prop up as close to the bottom of the frame as possible. That would catch about 99% of the fuel and the only thing that go bathed was the one hand undoing the plug. Not to bad that way.
Thanks for the link! Just using a hex driver, a few extensions, a swivel and usually I can clear the member and 4wd housing. Light went out today, still gonna check it though.
-Tim - Official Slackmaster #27
Excursion 2008 conversion Build threadl
Click here to Join The VA Chapter!
Old 04-30-2012, 01:37 PM
Posting Guru

TrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltFordTough! View Post
Did you install them yourself? Where are the pictures and installation thread? It HAS to be around here somewhere... (that is a hint)
Old 04-30-2012, 01:40 PM
Virginia Chapter LDR

archtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputationarchtaan has a superb reputation
I just don't get it with all these people not doing build threads.....
Old 04-30-2012, 01:43 PM
Posting Guru

TrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by archtaan View Post
I just don't get it with all these people not doing build threads.....
I had to get up off the floor. I fell out of my chair from laughing so hard. I realize that was the point, but from all people Tim. That was hilarious. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Elder User

BuiltFordTough! has a great reputation on FTE.BuiltFordTough! has a great reputation on FTE.BuiltFordTough! has a great reputation on FTE.BuiltFordTough! has a great reputation on FTE.BuiltFordTough! has a great reputation on FTE.BuiltFordTough! has a great reputation on FTE.
yes I installed them very easy do I didnt think It needed its own thread
02 Excursion, Limited, Black/Tan, 7.3L, Auto, 4x4, Volant Stage 2 Air Intake, Unknown Custom Tune, AIH Delete, 31 Row 6.0L Transmission Cooler, Banks 6.0L Intercooler With Banks 7.3L Tubes, 08 Heated / Signal Mirrors, 08 Custom Fender Vents, 08 F350 Front Seats & Console, 08 20" HD Rims, Thule Tracker II Roof Rack Rails and Feet, IronCross HD Running Boards, Pioneer AVIC-X910BT Head Unit, Hellwig 7643 Rear Sway Bar, V/Moded B code Springs.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:46 PM
Virginia Chapter LDR

Quote:
I had to get up off the floor. I fell out of my chair from laughing so hard. I realize that was the point, but from all people Tim. That was hilarious. Thanks.
Yeah I know.....

That was the irony!

I have all my pics ready at least! Need to dig out my notes to match up with the pics..
Old 04-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Senior User

xbox73 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Installed 2010 F350 crew cab front seats and console:

Had to move the heated seats control from being on the dash to on the seat:
Interesting, I may be interested in doing this at some point in the future, since the leather on the seat back of my 2000 X's driver seat has now started to separate around the 'Limited' (or whatever) stitching that is high on the seat back.

I was planning on maybe getting my old seats recovered, but if the 2010 seats are really that much more comfortable, I may reconsider. Are they really that much more comfortable, and if so, in what way?

Also, are the seats (except for the relocation of the heater controls) a direct plug in (i.e. bracketing, seat rails & electrical connectors etc.)? Is it necessary to use the new center console with the new seats, or just something that you opted to do to update the interior? And lastly, where did you get the updated seats from, and how much did they cost?
Old 04-30-2012, 02:25 PM
Elder User

The leather is softer as is the foam. The new seats do not have arm rests built in so u need the console or a center seat. I removed the plastic part of the harnus on my old seat and just rearanged the wires to the correct order. They bolted right in. I got them from eBay cost 600 shipped.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:28 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
The leather is softer as is the foam. The new seats do not have arm rests built in so u need the console or a center seat. I removed the plastic part of the harnus on my old seat and just rearanged the wires to the correct order.
See... write-up! This forum is built on other's experience. Share the wealth... of knowledge.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:03 PM
Excursion Fleet Manager

Sunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by archtaan View Post
Got the dreaded water in fuel light today. Gonna pull the plug on the frame mounted filter and see if it has a bunch of junk on it. Just changed both filters about 1000 miles ago. I hate doing that frame mounted filter. Pulling the little plug is worse. Can you say diesel bath?
Oh Tim, you're bringing back memories of the shower of antifreeze I got when I pulled the rear coolant lines to the rear A/C and heat. Turns out all the coolant wasn't drained after all...
2007 Sunline Solaris T-286SR travel trailer, 3/8/06, 7365.5
Old 04-30-2012, 04:12 PM
Excursion Fleet Manager

Sunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputation
Quote:
The leather is softer as is the foam. The new seats do not have arm rests built in so u need the console or a center seat. I removed the plastic part of the harnus on my old seat and just rearanged the wires to the correct order. They bolted right in. I got them from eBay cost 600 shipped.
Interesting, did the eBay ad say how many miles were on the seats? My dad's F-450 seats are much firmer than my '02, but comparable to the '05. I guess the '02 just has more miles/use to soften up the foam.

The arm rest issue is a big deal for me personally. For where I put the seat (higher up), the console is much too low and away from me. Since I don't get to drive it much, when I do, I usually take a jacket or blanket and bunch it up between me and the console to simulate an arm rest. On the other hand, for whatever reason my dad likes the seat as far back and as low as he can, so he's content with where the console is at then.
2007 Sunline Solaris T-286SR travel trailer, 3/8/06, 7365.5
Old 04-30-2012, 05:26 PM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGGER View Post
Yes LEDs are great, I hear they are making them for the house now too, they just screw in to a light bulb socket
Yep, I have three in my main bathroom.

Quote:
So where is the how-to thread with pictures?

Quote:
Did you install them yourself? Where are the pictures and installation thread? It HAS to be around here somewhere... (that is a hint)
Heh, ya beat me to it.

Quote:
yes I installed them very easy do I didnt think It needed its own thread
Well it does! A thread like this needs to be in the Tech Folder thread.

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 04-30-2012, 05:26 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs

Tags
20x10, bouncing, excursion, f250, f350, ford, fuel, hydro, wpt943