Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 07:53 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
dropping it off tonight for a new viper remote start/alarm to be installed tomorrow. im excited!

Old 08-31-2010, 08:46 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Drove it back from camping pulling the TT and boat flawlessly and smooth with the trans flush! Not one issue all the way up and back!

Old 09-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Ordered a 05 grill for my 03 X yesterday. Some say you need the bumper and all to make it fit. I looked and looked at the different front ends and I am unconvinced that it won't fit. We will see.

Also ordered an aluminum diff. cover to take car of the leak. How many tubes of friction modifier are supposed to be used with the limited slip?

Old 09-04-2010, 10:50 AM
1BADRIDE
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Ordered a 05 grill for my 03 X yesterday. Some say you need the bumper and all to make it fit. I looked and looked at the different front ends and I am unconvinced that it won't fit. We will see.

Also ordered an aluminum diff. cover to take car of the leak. How many tubes of friction modifier are supposed to be used with the limited slip?
It will fit, but you will need to trim about 1.5 inches off the bottom of it to use it with your stock bumper and you will want some 05 headlights, otherwise you will have a huge gap between the edge of the headlights and the grill. The 03 headlights have a curved edge where they meet the grill because the 03 grill has an outward curve toward the sides of the vehicle. The 05 grill is more straight sided. I made the mistake of wasting $170 on some 05 style headlights that were made for the 03 and tried to use them on my 05 grill. Had a huge gap, so I just ordered the 05 headlights now and the 05 header panel so everything goes in without modding the header panel. I also have the 05 bumper so I won't have to trim my grill to fit. But at minimum, you need 05 headlights to do the 05 grill and make it look right and also trim the bottom of the grill.

BTW, I haven't driven my X in 2 weeks because i'm waiting on my header panel and tires/wheels to show up. Hopefully have the X all finished up by next weekend. It should be pretty sweet!

Old 09-04-2010, 11:02 AM
1BADRIDE
Senior User
Here's the link to the front conversion. It shows what to trim to do the 05 headlights and grill.

05-07 CONVERSION instructions. ( here ) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Old 09-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Thanks for the info! Headlights look to be cheap. They talk about a different bulb socket though? My bumper has a dent in it so I wouldn't be opposed to getting an 05 bumper as well.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Thanks again for the link! That explains it all.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:21 AM
1BADRIDE
Senior User
Thanks for the info! Headlights look to be cheap. They talk about a different bulb socket though? My bumper has a dent in it so I wouldn't be opposed to getting an 05 bumper as well.
LOL, that's why I changed mine also. I hit a pitbull after fishing one night and it put a pretty good dent in it. Yep, you need to cut your stock bulb sockets off and wire in the 05 ones. I think my 05 lights I just bought came with bulbs and sockets. Let me open the box and check quick. I think I paid $122 shipped for the pair of headlights shipped, $420 for the complete bumper/upper valance/lower valance/fog lights and paid a little over $100 for the bumper brackets to mount the 05 bumper, then $90 for the grill and $90 for the header panel. A buddy of mine is painting the bumper valance for cheap for me.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:24 AM
1BADRIDE
Senior User
Looks like my lights came with bulbs and sockets, but I still need the 05 plugs to plug into the sockets. Guess I better get shopping...LOL

Old 09-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Well that isn't a bad deal, wiring is easy. I may have to put this off for awhile and save up some extra cash for the extras. I'll be doing all the paint work myself but I don't know how I would paint the bumper pieces. I don't want chrome, I would want both pieces painted. To match the back bumper I would have to paint the bumper and upper valance the same color but they way the 05 bumper is designed I don't know if it would look right. This will take some pondering. Thanks for the help and spending of my money.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:50 AM
1BADRIDE
Senior User
I'm probably one of the best at helping other people spend their money...lol. At least that's what everyone around me says. Oh yeah, here is the part numbers for the headlight plugs. I just bought them through RockAuto for $45 shipped 2 day express. That's for a pair of them.

MOTORCRAFT Part # WPT943

I went with the chrome 05 bold grill and chrome bumper with painting the valance gold to match my trim. The chrome will tie in the headlights, grill and my wheels pretty good. I think a chrome grill, the chrome 05 lights, with a chrome bumper and painted upper valance in gold would look sharp on your white X.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Well the grill I ordered is black for painting white. Looking quick I thought about getting the harley headlights, pulling them apart and painting the black trim white to match the grill. The trim on my X is gold, I think I may paint the new bumper about the same as the old.

I'm not a huge chrome fan if you can tell.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:00 PM
1BADRIDE
Senior User
Well the grill I ordered is black for painting white. Looking quick I thought about getting the harley headlights, pulling them apart and painting the black trim white to match the grill. The trim on my X is gold, I think I may paint the new bumper about the same as the old.

I'm not a huge chrome fan if you can tell.
Here you go, a pic of a white setup.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Yeah like that but with the possible white trimmed headlights and the bumper gold to match the wheel and lower door trim.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:29 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I have in my travels in eBay and else where seen the white trimmed headlights. They are starting to get popular so more are stocking them. I'm still trying to convince myself to jump into the new projector/hid headlight set up. Just leary about getting better light outta them, cuz I would have to change wiring to put them in, so going back would be a pain.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?