Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 11:03 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Actually yesterday, drove 500 miles to Pensacola Beach, Fl, then to Miramar Beach,Fl for South Walton Beach Wine Festival. Wife was happy and enjoyed the long drive.
She said, Ex needs new shocks!!
I said , OKAY!!

Old 04-30-2016, 11:23 AM
Vwags
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Yes, my bad, lemme be more specific.

If that had been the complete number, would it suffice and be accepted? I ask because it's not engraved.

Stewart
The smog tech is going to have to confirm that the EO# is appropriate for the part number and application. The number on the sticker is complete and is good assuming the part number associated with that EO# is what is on the vehicle and the pulley size is right. If the smog tech can't verify the part number or has heartburn because the stamped EO# isn't complete then that could cause him/her to not want to pass it.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:36 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 830 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Country_Mouse
Great discussion, thanks! So seller is supposed to send me photo of door sticker with vin and axle code in morning.

If not 4:30s like my current I'd have to think about if it would be worth the hassle. How cool or beneficial is supercharge? Remember we tow a 6000# trailer.

Mouse, other than the "purple" one having a few less miles what is the attraction or interest in the supercharged EX vs the very nice one you already have? With yours having the 4.30 gears and your trailer only weighing in at 6k do you guys feel that you need the extra power from the supercharger?
Personally I would avoid a supercharged rig after giving it some thought based on our usage. With the increased compression from the SC I would assume that you would have to use the more expensive higher octane fuel ALL the time. Sure gas is currently on the cheap side right now but I'm pretty sure we will see it work it's way back up to ridiculous in the not too distant future. I like having the option to swap my tunes based on how I'll be working the EX, it does well towing 11k on the 87 Performance tune on relatively flat terrain and for towing in the mountains here in the East it can maintain good highway speeds with the 89 Performance tune. With a SC getting good custom tunes would be far more complicated and expensive than dealing with a shop like 5Star Tuning. I would also assume that the mileage on the blown V-10 would be a little less simply due to the needs of the forced induction setup. I work pretty diligently to get the fuel economy that I do while towing our TT and I would hate to see that get reduced by a power adder that I feel isn't needed for the work being done.

On the other hand............................. A blown 6.8 does sound like lots of fun! . I wonder how much boost it's making? Does it have headers on it too?

Old 04-30-2016, 11:49 AM
Country_Mouse
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Mouse, other than the "purple" one having a few less miles what is the attraction or interest in the supercharged EX vs the very nice one you already have? With yours having the 4.30 gears and your trailer only weighing in at 6k do you guys feel that you need the extra power from the supercharger?
Personally I would avoid a supercharged rig after giving it some thought based on our usage. With the increased compression from the SC I would assume that you would have to use the more expensive higher octane fuel ALL the time. Sure gas is currently on the cheap side right now but I'm pretty sure we will see it work it's way back up to ridiculous in the not too distant future. I like having the option to swap my tunes based on how I'll be working the EX, it does well towing 11k on the 87 Performance tune on relatively flat terrain and for towing in the mountains here in the East it can maintain good highway speeds with the 89 Performance tune. With a SC getting good custom tunes would be far more complicated and expensive than dealing with a shop like 5Star Tuning. I would also assume that the mileage on the blown V-10 would be a little less simply due to the needs of the forced induction setup. I work pretty diligently to get the fuel economy that I do while towing our TT and I would hate to see that get reduced by a power adder that I feel isn't needed for the work being done.

On the other hand............................. A blown 6.8 does sound like lots of fun! . I wonder how much boost it's making? Does it have headers on it too?
No, don't feel need extra power. It was just the color and miles mostly. Price is good too. I didn't know anything about superchargers before this post. Definitely don't want to spend more on gas. Don't know about headers. It is chipped but owner doesn't know what kind...

Old 04-30-2016, 11:51 AM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Nanny state is better??

In looking for places to relocate in a few years when my husband retires there really is nowhere that has the perfect weather we do here. Not too hot, cold or humid. Snow a short drive to enjoy and visit for just the day.

We keep coming back to Texas though. Besides the heat it has everything we like, big trucks, big houses, horses, guns and good values. Maybe Austin? For you Texas folk what say you?

As for test drive owner can't show us this weekend.
Austin is a good place to VISIT! I love going to Austin to have a good time or visit some friends. But that's about it. I worked in Taylor, Tx. and I liked that area, but I believe it has blown up since I left. New Braunfels is pretty nice in between San Antonio and Austin. But like most things in that state it is growing like crazy pretty much everywhere. We go back once or twice a year as that is where all our family is. Still love it!! Heading down Memorial Day weekend as a matter of fact.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:58 AM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
No, don't feel need extra power. It was just the color and miles mostly. Price is good too. I didn't know anything about superchargers before this post. Definitely don't want to spend more on gas. Don't know about headers. It is chipped but owner doesn't know what kind...
Well maybe if you buy it and don't want the SC you can remove it . Then sell it to me as I'm leaving this state ha ha

Old 04-30-2016, 12:04 PM
Vwags
Elder User
Originally Posted by Irish19614x4
Well maybe if you buy it and don't want the SC you can remove it . Then sell it to me as I'm leaving this state ha ha
Now that is thinking Irish...or maybe post it here

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...le-thread.html

and see if you can crash the servers

Old 04-30-2016, 12:08 PM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Vwags

LMAO, perhaps I should ha ha

Old 04-30-2016, 12:26 PM
rockhounds4x4
Senior User
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
as stated several posts ago, the supercharger will require premium all the time and will probably cost you a miles or two running and towing. no way to tune a high compression motor for less than premium.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:29 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Vwags

Name:  roflmfao2.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  28.3 KB

Name:  madprops.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  9.2 KB

Stewart

Old 04-30-2016, 04:47 PM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I ordered the braided ESOF lines and was going to install them today.

Thought I would check the hubs/wheels bearings. FAIL.

Just ordered a pair of Moog's from Rock A, as well as ALL the seals and orings from Dieselorings.com. Including the vacuum hub seal. Those seals are not cheap.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:33 PM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^How did you know the hubs were bad?

Old 04-30-2016, 08:03 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 214 Likes on 144 Posts

My father in law thinks my new Surveyor 33' travel trailer is to big for the Ex, looks can be deceiving!

Old 04-30-2016, 08:17 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Just got done with a two day 500+ mile road trip to Oregon and back. I must have seen more than a dozen Ex's out there on the road. From some that look like they need to be saved from their owners, to a few that were VERY nice looking!

It is always great to see Ex's out cruising the highways.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:26 PM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Excurvelle

My father in law thinks my new Surveyor 33' travel trailer is to big for the Ex, looks can be deceiving!
Well what's the weight on that and nice TT.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?