Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Old 08-23-2015, 07:54 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 814 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by 6686L

================================

Hey - don't take the side of the STATE OF ARIZONA on this - I am trying to beat a expensive ticket. Again, here in Arizona they give tickets if you "pull doubles" UNLESS the center towed vehicle has a "fifth wheel"...and again...of course there is no such thing as a "fifth wheel"...I have a 3500 series Duramax turbo-diesel equipped like that...just, as you & I both note..a big ball hitch located in the center of the pick-up bed. No wheels in the system !

When you want to "quote" a post just use the "Quote" button in the lower right corner of the post you want to quote, that's why it's there. And please stop using all of the "equals signs" (====), I think it might be those special characters that are screwing up nearly every one of your posts here, makes reading your posts very hard as what you quote and post look the same.
Not busting your stones (this time....), just trying to help.

And yes, "fifth wheels" really do exist, good luck trying to convince AZ that they don't. Did you know that you can't wear "brake shoes" on your feet either?

Old 08-23-2015, 08:01 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by nmclella
It's "The Rancher" by Go Industries.

O the hell. I was wrong! I had to walk out to the pickup, that's what mine says too. Guess I remembered the ranch part n thought ranch hand.

If you want I can take a pic of the mounting brackets.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:25 AM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
O the hell. I was wrong! I had to walk out to the pickup, that's what mine says too. Guess I remembered the ranch part n thought ranch hand.

If you want I can take a pic of the mounting brackets.
I would really appreciate that, I've been looking at the best way to approach mounting it without knowing what the brackets looked like.

The third coat of paint just went on, loading it up to take over to my uncles shop so I can fab some brackets up later this afternoon. Like I said, you would be a saint if you wouldn't mind snapping a quick pic or two of your brackets.

Cheers,

Nate

Old 08-23-2015, 08:37 AM
6686L
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
When you want to "quote" a post just use the "Quote" button in the lower right corner of the post you want to quote, that's why it's there. And please stop using all of the "equals signs" (====), I think it might be those special characters that are screwing up nearly every one of your posts here, makes reading your posts very hard as what you quote and post look the same.
Not busting your stones (this time....), just trying to help.

And yes, "fifth wheels" really do exist, good luck trying to convince AZ that they don't. Did you know that you can't wear "brake shoes" on your feet either?

STOP BOTHERING ME. I AM VERY BUSY. YOU HAVE A FRIGGEN CLUE HOW HARD IT IS TO GET BONDO TO STICK TO THE RUST ON MY "mInt" EXCURSION'S 'A' COLUMN........ I MAY HAVE TO GIVE UP AND SELL IT AS A CONVERTIBLE.....

YES - I HAVE A FIFTH WHEEL - IT IS ALSO CALLED 'SPARE TIRE'

Old 08-23-2015, 08:38 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
It's a simple angle iron.

Name:  5804F92F-11AE-42FF-912E-ED3DE19D4D20.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  226.8 KB
Name:  908561FF-E1EB-4892-911A-0212FA4D18F3.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  256.2 KB
Name:  6F10AAC6-D716-4293-8BB8-101C3414EA8A.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  262.6 KB

The pics are not easy to get a good pic, but should get a idea. Slotted holes on the bumper side of the brackets, and threaded holes on the guard side. But regular nuts and bolts will work fine there too. The guard sits tight against the bumper.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:59 PM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I got the bumper and grille painted and them installed with the lightbar.

I do need to get the newer header panel though. Waiting for the lower piece to dry so I can install that too.

Old 08-23-2015, 02:14 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Sooner or later it just becomes impossible to get Baja out of your Ex and you have to disassemble it for a through cleaning.

Going to shampoo the carpets and if they don't clean up to my liking I will order up a new rug to go with the driver seat rebuild.

Funny how ruined they look with just 20 minutes worth of work taking the seats out.

Old 08-23-2015, 02:58 PM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Thanks for the pics Dave, they helped a lot.

After getting this on I realize the truck looks way too low. 3 inch lift shackles for the front and 2 inch shackles for the back are in order I think.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:06 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After getting this on I realize the truck looks way too low. 3 inch lift shackles for the front and 2 inch shackles for the back are in order I think.
At least, then bigger tires then new shocks then new wheels then remove glue stains and then and then...and then put your deleted steps back on and then

Old 08-23-2015, 03:17 PM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
At least, then bigger tires then new shocks then new wheels then remove glue stains and then and then...and then put your deleted steps back on and then
I've come to like the "Glue Stain" look.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:44 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts

Just a heads up,

Just putting longer shackles on will affect your alignment in the front and your driveline angle in the rear.

In the front longer shackles will add negative caster which may effect, wandering, death wobble , steering return to center and tire scrub.

In the back it will roll your pinion angle up and may cause a driveline vibration.

Be sure to get an alignment and have your angles correct up front and have your pinion angle checked if you notice a vibration.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:05 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,079 Likes on 555 Posts
FWIW and I am being sincere. You DO care how it looks, you just said so above.

You want us to see this.

My eye leaps right to this.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:10 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
Just a heads up,

Just putting longer shackles on will affect your alignment in the front and your driveline angle in the rear.

In the front longer shackles will add negative caster which may effect, wandering, death wobble , steering return to center and tire scrub.

In the back it will roll your pinion angle up and may cause a driveline vibration.

Be sure to get an alignment and have your angles correct up front and have your pinion angle checked if you notice a vibration.

I added 2.5" lift shackles in late 2010 shortly after getting my current Ex. The truck drives exactly the same as it did stock, absolutely no strange tire wear or handling issues since putting them on. I never had an alignment done, I have no wandering issues with this truck ( my 2004 Ex was a whole different story ) to this day i'm still running them 45K miles later with half those miles being locked in 4x4 during the winter.

Yes it's the cheap option, but it does the trick when needed. I do plan on upgrading the springs within the next year and doing it "right".

Old 08-23-2015, 05:12 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
FWIW and I am being sincere. You DO care how it looks, you just said so above.

You want us to see this.

My eye leaps right to this.

Thank you! you are not the only one. It would be a great looking truck with about an hour of work.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:25 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I cleaned the turbo and put it all back together. I've been battling this excessively loud PowerMax turbo for a while now and new cold and hot side boots, clean turbo vanes etc. thus far nothing has resolved the noise problem. Details on my quest over on the 6.0 forum.

Here are a couple of pics and a test drive video.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?