Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 01:27 PM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by clarkjg33
My activity for the day has included- 3 new calipers, 4 new rotors and all new brake pads.. as well as upper and lower ball joint on RF. Hasn't been a cheap day
Wow, thats a bunch. Sorry for your wallet but good for the truck.

All I did was wash mine, finally.

Attached Images   
Old 07-22-2015, 02:57 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by El_Coqui
Got to experience the joys of fighting with frozen slide pins on my front passenger wheel. Fought with the top one for about 45 minutes and got it to slide out....the bottom one remains stuck in the bracket which has since been removed and is resting in a dark box somewhere never to see the light of day again....it has been replaced with a "new" bracket and pins. At least the driver's side slide right out with no problems. Going to do the rears this weekend.

That for sure is going to be added to the maintenance routine about every 3rd oil change I guess.
Do you have a MAP gas or propane torch? If so I recently went through a frozen pin. Heat up the bracket itself and rotate the pin with a pair of vise grips, should come out no problem.

I did manage to wash mine but will need to do it again soon.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:58 PM
El_Coqui
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BassFantasizer
I did that last month, but saved the caliper. I sprayed the pin with penetrating oil several times and let it soak in overnight. (It still barely budged the next day.) Then I experimented with galvanized pipe couplers that would fit over the head of the pin. Once I got the right size, I added a couple of large flat washers and inserted the original bolt.

Then I tightened the bolt (probably 80 ft lbs) and let it sit for a couple of seconds. Backed it off and wiggled the pin with channel locks. Repeated several times until more washers were needed.

Finally the pin loosened enough that I could pull it out with the channel locks.

A few minutes with a round file (chainsaw file) to clean the pin slide and all was good.

It did destroy the old pin. A pretty small price to pay to save the caliper, and it was probably toast anyway.

~Bass
Man I'm jealous....I'm working on building my tool supply up like some of what you guys have on here but all I had available yesterday was a small 10 lb sledge and a chisel so I could catch the edge of the pin After almost 2 hours of fighting in mid 90 's heat and equally high humidity I decided 30 bucks or so wasn't too bad a deal

Old 07-22-2015, 03:07 PM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Received 4,678 Likes on 2,606 Posts
Man I'm jealous....I'm working on building my tool supply up like some of what you guys have on here but all I had available yesterday was a small 10 lb sledge and a chisel so I could catch the edge of the pin After almost 2 hours of fighting in mid 90 's heat and equally high humidity I decided 30 bucks or so wasn't too bad a deal
It's all relative, man.

Most of us here are jealous of the garages that a couple members have.

Picture yourself on a clean garage floor with room to lift the Excursion high enough to stand under it to work on it.

It won't happen in my lifetime, but I wish the best to those that strive for it!

Old 07-22-2015, 03:36 PM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Sneak peak.....

Old 07-22-2015, 03:41 PM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Received 4,678 Likes on 2,606 Posts
^^^

I like them wheels!

Old 07-22-2015, 03:49 PM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BassFantasizer
^^^

I like them wheels!

Thank you, other members may remember when I was not super pumped on them. I was hot after the Lariat wheels first. I'm super happy now!

Also ordered some power fold 08+ Mirrors from Jerry at 1a auto!!!!!

Old 07-22-2015, 05:17 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
You know those Excursion friends that you have around Houston? That have plenty of tools to help with? One of them *cough* has a 10'x10' pop tent to use for shade, as well as a power inverter and a pair of 14" fans for a breeze while working on the truck... All I did yesterday was sit around the house and finish up a few books I've been reading, and crank on the Chevelle a bit. Could've lent a hand is my point

All I've done to the rig is wash it, so it rained today as penance for being so foolish. Also discovered the thunk that I attributed to a bad front shock is actually bad front ball joints, so that's going to be fun with 251,000 miles on this set. Ugh. Need to replace both front wheel bearings with OEM ones as well. Despite just getting one replaced so it would get me home, it's he same brand as the ones that failed on me after barely a year of duty.

I also filled it up and proceeded to burn through a decent amount on the way home today keeping some jackass in a 5.9. Cummins in his place. Stupid F'er mirror slapped me then took off dumping smoke and laughing his head off. Wasn't laughing when I freight trained by him and stopped in front, got out, and asked for his insurance information. I really like these injectors, can't wait for the turbo and trans!

Old 07-22-2015, 07:53 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Dems some nice looking wheels!

Old 07-22-2015, 08:39 PM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by A Rodder
Sneak peak.....

What size are those tires?

Old 07-22-2015, 09:00 PM
El_Coqui
Senior User
Originally Posted by Krazee Matt
You know those Excursion friends that you have around Houston? That have plenty of tools to help with? One of them *cough* has a 10'x10' pop tent to use for shade, as well as a power inverter and a pair of 14" fans for a breeze while working on the truck... All I did yesterday was sit around the house and finish up a few books I've been reading, and crank on the Chevelle a bit. Could've lent a hand is my point

All I've done to the rig is wash it, so it rained today as penance for being so foolish. Also discovered the thunk that I attributed to a bad front shock is actually bad front ball joints, so that's going to be fun with 251,000 miles on this set. Ugh. Need to replace both front wheel bearings with OEM ones as well. Despite just getting one replaced so it would get me home, it's he same brand as the ones that failed on me after barely a year of duty.

I also filled it up and proceeded to burn through a decent amount on the way home today keeping some jackass in a 5.9. Cummins in his place. Stupid F'er mirror slapped me then took off dumping smoke and laughing his head off. Wasn't laughing when I freight trained by him and stopped in front, got out, and asked for his insurance information. I really like these injectors, can't wait for the turbo and trans!
You right Matt....my bad sir I just got wrapped up and was trying to hustle so I could make it to work.....I wasn't by myself though....my papa is visiting from out of town and he used to wrench on cars and he lent a hand and some company out in the heat. ....tho a tent and fans sound really good....will definitely remember when I tackle the shocks in a couple weeks

Old 07-22-2015, 09:24 PM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I loaded up the EX with gear and crew and drove to Morgantown, WV for a promotion event. 3 hours drive cruising about 70mph the whole time. It was nice to not have any issues for a change.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:42 PM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
I went with 305/75r18

I wanted the 285/75's but they didn't come in that size.

Needless to say......I'm glad they didnt!

They rub the springs at full lock and the driver side rubbed the inner fender liner. I zip tied it back and that worked.

They seemed really quiet but I only got up to 30 or so.

I'll update tonight after I drive it at higher speeds.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:15 PM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by A Rodder
I went with 305/75r18

I wanted the 285/75's but they didn't come in that size.

Needless to say......I'm glad they didnt!

They rub the springs at full lock and the driver side rubbed the inner fender liner. I zip tied it back and that worked.

They seemed really quiet but I only got up to 30 or so.

I'll update tonight after I drive it at higher speeds.
I got the chance to put some 315/75 R 16's up next to mine. They were about 1.5 inches taller overall from my current wheels (estimated height since they weren't mounted.) The guy wanted 180 bucks for all 4 of them and they had well over 50% tread on them. I was thinking about throwing them on my extra set of 16" wheels and giving them a try. I just can't do it with the gearing I have right now. :-/

Old 07-22-2015, 10:42 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Since I have that exact same size right now, I will forewarn you about the ridiculous amount of sidewall lean they have. It's absurd, you can feel it in curves at decent speed.

Stepping up to 18's with 35's next month, can't wait.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?