Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 11:23 AM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IMASAP
An added bonus with the separate vacuum pump is that you would then be able to use 2 wheel drive in low. I find it handy every now and then when moving a trailer.
Didn't think about that additional feature!

I'm sold. I'm going to do this.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:36 AM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Here is a great write up with schematics and pictures of a 2WD Low Range switch installation (and some other pretty cool stuff) on a Super Duty pickup. 2004 F250 Auxiliary Switch Install

I use 2WD Low Range all the time when backing my TT up and spotting it into campsites. I just keep my vacuum pulse elctro/vacuum switch unplugged all of the time, this also is a safety measure on my EX, I currently have 4.88 rear gears and 3.73 front gears! Eventually I'll get around to swapping the 4.88 front axle housing in, I don't go off road and it gets parked for the Winter so I'm not missing having the 4X4 available.
I like that idea too, I tend to use my 4WD very little, but that is going to change this summer as I will be visiting a few more remote locations in Idaho. Having the vacuum pump over the pulse kill switch would be more beneficial for me as I don't plan on using my 4WD unless I need it. Being able to stick it in 2WD low while putting around makes things nicer on my "beverage" and keeps me from having to ride my brakes. I like the ESOF idea mostly as the convenience of it is too sweet. The trick it sounds like is making it a reliable system. lol

I would like to, eventually, put the 4.10 (or 4.30 with bigger tires ) gears in mine. So I'll be quizzing you on that next spring I'm sure I'm thinking LSD, with air or electric lockers, if that would even be necessary. A magical creature can dream, can't he?

Old 06-01-2015, 02:04 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Ordered my ESOF hose kit Hopefully this is the problem, if not at least this will never be an issue in the future!

I went with the kit for a lifted truck because I know at some point I will be allowed to lift it and I don't want to be buying hoses again

Old 06-01-2015, 02:08 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You got the 6-8 inch lift ones?

Old 06-01-2015, 02:10 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
You got the 6-8 inch lift ones?
Yeah, when I do finally get to lift my truck I'm planning on a 6 inch so I figured it would be better to get the longer ones now and just route them out of the way.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:12 PM
nmclella
Posting Guru
I thought your wife already complains about getting in, you're heading for the doghouse

Old 06-01-2015, 02:28 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by nmclella
I thought your wife already complains about getting in, you're heading for the doghouse
It'll be about 18 months before I'm ready to start shopping for a kit. I'm really happy with my truck right now, I just need to get it to 100% and drive it the way it is like so many on here have suggested. The horn is messed up and I have a new one on the way. I have only one key and one fob so I have 3 new fobs coming (one will be just an extra un-programed in case I need to replace one) and 3 keys so that will be taken care of. Only thing left is the ESOF leak, the washer fluid reservoir leaking, and getting the studs removed so I can install the headers and get my inner fenders back in Once that's done the only thing I will be doing is cleaning my truck and detailing the hell out of it and hopefully getting the windows tinted if I can bring myself to part with the money

Old 06-01-2015, 06:12 PM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by nmclella
Sounds like a good reason for them fancy auto extending running boards

Old 06-01-2015, 07:22 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
It'll be about 18 months before I'm ready to start shopping for a kit. I'm really happy with my truck right now, I just need to get it to 100% and drive it the way it is like so many on here have suggested. The horn is messed up and I have a new one on the way. I have only one key and one fob so I have 3 new fobs coming (one will be just an extra un-programed in case I need to replace one) and 3 keys so that will be taken care of. Only thing left is the ESOF leak, the washer fluid reservoir leaking, and getting the studs removed so I can install the headers and get my inner fenders back in Once that's done the only thing I will be doing is cleaning my truck and detailing the hell out of it and hopefully getting the windows tinted if I can bring myself to part with the money
Your truck came with 3 keys, maybe Razzi and Matt will give them back to you someday

Old 06-01-2015, 09:01 PM
Watcher58
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
Well I'm glad you only have a paragraph left to do!

Old 06-01-2015, 10:02 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Nothing to note other then i'm addicted to this song...

Old 06-01-2015, 11:38 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
All this talk about two wheel drive low, vacuum pumps and what not. Easiest solution, manual hubs. I really don't see how fixing something that's just going to fail again is worth the time or $. Get out of the seat, and lock in the hubs when you need them. If you think you might need 4 wheel drive sometime soon, lock them in before you go so all you have to do is flip the switch. Plus, manual lockouts look nicer, and won't leave you without 4x4.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:53 AM
Plex
Freshman User
Installed the 6.0 trans cooler today, took a couple hours and scraped my forearms up pretty good digging between the radiator and AC condenser, but well worth it I think...

It seems like maybe someone installed a resistor to my trans temp gauge? It ALWAYS reads in the middle, even if the truck has been sitting overnight and is obviously cold haha

Old 06-02-2015, 04:48 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
The trans temp gauges are a fail safe gauge. In order to accurately monitor temps a stand alone gauge, scan gauge, ultra gauge or some tuners are needed.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:26 AM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
All this talk about two wheel drive low, vacuum pumps and what not. Easiest solution, manual hubs. I really don't see how fixing something that's just going to fail again is worth the time or $. Get out of the seat, and lock in the hubs when you need them. If you think you might need 4 wheel drive sometime soon, lock them in before you go so all you have to do is flip the switch. Plus, manual lockouts look nicer, and won't leave you without 4x4.

Couldn't agree more. That's why I changed over to manual hubs at the first sign of a problem. The ESOF / vacuum hubs are great for the ladies though.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?