Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 06:25 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Home Safe! 620 miles later. Road was in Awesome shape! went much faster then i thought. All the traffic was heading out of town as we were heading in, made great time.

Here is a teaser pic!

Name:  20150522_090438_zpsh6tejhms.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  1.14 MB

Old 05-22-2015, 07:15 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Snow, I really don't know the answer but from my reading and research on the subject it's my understanding that the 300 series stainless is the true stainless steel and will remain bright (with heat coloring) but is more brittle (especially near welds without proper post weld heat treating) and prone to cracking. The 400 series stainless will develope a certain amount of surface oxidation and will attract a magnet but is less brittle and less affected by localized weld heating making it less prone to cracking without post weld heat treating.
I read a few online articles on this and my refinery metallurgical inspector agrees as does the one contractor we use for our post weld heat treating on our more exotic metals. Various code certified pipe fitter welders also said basically the same thing too. But like I said, I really don't know, just passing on what I've been told. I have gone through several sets of various makers and quality headers on street and track cars, all the SS ones lasted better than the carbon steel ones and so far my 400 series Banks do have a light oxidation on them and are otherwise doing fine.

I have personally fixed more cracked 409 exhausts and headers (apocs for one) than other metals but that may be because if a company skimps out on the stainless they also skimp out on thickness as well making them as thin as possible to save every penny possible and make the final product "ebay cheap".

Normally 300 grade stainless has more nickle in it which is known to be "softer" and more forgiving which is why many times people use 308 as the go to filler for cast weld repairs.

I agree any stainless is more prone to cracking than mild steel and poor welding processes amplify this. Stainless needs to be covered from all sides while welding to keep from "sugaring" which happens when impurities (contamination) enter the weld from the air. It make the weld react and bubble up and get hairline fractures and cracks in it that isn't visible from the front side (weld side) all the time. This sugaring is what makes stainless crack along or down the middle of welds. "Back purging" with argon gas is how this is prevented most times. It does help in pretty much all metals being welded that doesn't have some sort of backing.

I will say 409 is better than just plain steel but I feel not by much. It does rot out, it rusts, and cracks and all. Personally I use it and consider it as a "steel", I don't consider 409 a "stainless" since it isn't actually stain-less. When I want or if a customer wants stainless I always always go for a 300 grade.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:44 PM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
I have personally fixed more cracked 409 exhausts and headers (apocs for one) than other metals but that may be because if a company skimps out on the stainless they also skimp out on thickness as well making them as thin as possible to save every penny possible and make the final product "ebay cheap".

Normally 300 grade stainless has more nickle in it which is known to be "softer" and more forgiving which is why many times people use 308 as the go to filler for cast weld repairs.

I agree any stainless is more prone to cracking than mild steel and poor welding processes amplify this. Stainless needs to be covered from all sides while welding to keep from "sugaring" which happens when impurities (contamination) enter the weld from the air. It make the weld react and bubble up and get hairline fractures and cracks in it that isn't visible from the front side (weld side) all the time. This sugaring is what makes stainless crack along or down the middle of welds. "Back purging" with argon gas is how this is prevented most times. It does help in pretty much all metals being welded that doesn't have some sort of backing.

I will say 409 is better than just plain steel but I feel not by much. It does rot out, it rusts, and cracks and all. Personally I use it and consider it as a "steel", I don't consider 409 a "stainless" since it isn't actually stain-less. When I want or if a customer wants stainless I always always go for a 300 grade.
So the Banks torque tubes are low quality stainless and they will crack like the other brands?

Old 05-22-2015, 08:14 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Drunken_Unicorn
So the Banks torque tubes are low quality stainless and they will crack like the other brands?

We don't know. They would have to be asked what grade stainless they are made out of and what thickness the material is. Then we can speculate.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:35 PM
2wdDezlX
Elder User
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
If you're out in the Eastern part let me know! Wendy somehow got a 4 day weekend and we would love to meet you guys
We can also meet up if available this weekend!

Old 05-22-2015, 10:06 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I think Michael dropped off the forum for the weekend. He's probably sitting in a mud bath being fanned by naked virgins and being fed grapes as Kenny G plays in the background... not a CD, but THE Kenny G.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:40 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Another Teaser, it's going to be a pain putting all the pics and vids together but i will!

Old 05-23-2015, 07:27 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're out in the Eastern part let me know! Wendy somehow got a 4 day weekend and we would love to meet you guys
Originally Posted by 2wdDezlX
We can also meet up if available this weekend!
I think Michael dropped off the forum for the weekend. He's probably sitting in a mud bath being fanned by naked virgins and being fed grapes as Kenny G plays in the background... not a CD, but THE Kenny G.
We will be staying in Garlinburg until Monday... than most likely shoot down to Savannah for 1 night and I'm not sure yet but either 1 or 2 night at a beach house around st Augustine. Or Mecdac might even invite us to stay at his compound in JO-JUH .

In other related excursion news, she's running great! I had a country boy with a hot tune (rolling coal) come up next to me at a light yesterday. His Cummings didn't stand a chance it felt great representing the 6.0 class. Now my wife knows why I only run my tuner in stage 3 (my mild version of rolling coal).

My only problem, seams like all this teasing Nate about deletes has come back to haunt me. My rear drivers side cladding is starting to separate, I'm thinking it's all the damn humidity in florida.

Well my other problem is there's no freakin car washes here that I fit in or someone to hand wash. I see a business opportunity

Old 05-23-2015, 09:10 AM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Better get that fixed Michael, it's a slippery slope!

Picked up my CAT delete yesterday...... Unfortunately my muffler delete was delayed even though they came from the same place and left at the same time. Will have to make another trip to the border later this month to pick it up along with my Powerstroke badges (I won).

Cheers,

Nate

Old 05-23-2015, 09:12 AM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by nmclella
Better get that fixed Michael, it's a slippery slope!

Picked up my CAT delete yesterday...... Unfortunately my muffler delete was delayed even though they came from the same place and left at the same time. Will have to make another trip to the border later this month to pick it up along with my Powerstroke badges (I won).

Cheers,

Nate
I sleep with my exhaust parts before installing them too.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:18 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You guys are sick!

Ok, maybe not lol

Old 05-23-2015, 10:23 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by nmclella

Cheers,

Nate
I personally don't require marital aids but then again I have a 6.8

Old 05-23-2015, 03:50 PM
gots_a_sol
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Installed some fog lights. Rigid's new DOT approved jobbies. Will try and snap some beam pics tonight when I adjust them. They have a very flat/wide beam to them.

Name:  IMG_20150523_164442_zps1tgbyuf0.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  117.4 KB

Old 05-23-2015, 04:01 PM
justonv
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yesterday afternoon I tackled my spark plugs and boots. Was bad, but not as bad as I was expecting, haha. Took maybe 2 1/2 hours, but I wasn't trying to rush at all. Plugs weren't all that bad really, but a lot of the boots were pretty dry, and the holes had a lot of dirt and stuff in them. A few of the plugs weren't torqued down much, seemed the weight of the ratchet alone broke them loose. No seizing problems at all, and everything torqued down nice Around 150k on the vehicle now, hopefully won't have to do them again for a good while!

Old 05-23-2015, 04:01 PM
Technologiq
Elder User
Installed my 2005 front end but... it's seems REALLY empty behind the bumper and my transmission cooler seems really exposed.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?