Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ what kind of car is that on the lift?

Old 03-30-2015, 12:05 PM
rjhucka
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up I am seeking help today?

Hello, First, I am not a Ford mechanic. I am a old "Hippie" Porsche and VW mechanic.

So, my technology peak is about 1979. But, I understand basic Bosch FI etc. as I have worked on those systems. Secondly, I am new to posting on the site, so please forgive me if my post here is not within normal protocol.

With that said, I purchased a 1992 FordF150 automatic 4X4 with a 4.9 in-line 6 cylinder engine. I initially bought it in cold weather in Nevada

Since I first bought it 2 months ago, the truck ran fine with the exception that from time to time, after shutting it down for only a few minutes, the truck would not start. So, being an old Oklahoma ranch hand, I sprayed starter fluid in the intake hose and it would start every time. I have been guessing that a dirty fuel filter might be the culprit? As the fuel filter I believe is in the tank, and as I have been delaying the job, I have been spraying a shot of starter fluid in to start a warm engine and it has usually always worked. But, today it was 80 degrees and although I let the truck sit for about and hour; which is usually enough to allow a start - even without starter fluid) today, after 1 hour (80 degrees outside temp)- no start. I sprayed fluid and it would always fire, and exhaust the fluid; then die. Now it just seems that there in not fuel getting to the engine?

I have been looking at threads today, and troubleshooting advice ranged from O2 sensors, to other sensors, etc.. Now, wow I do not know where to start. Also, I have never pulled a code in my life (remember 1978 Technology expert), so any ideas on a good plan of attack troubleshooting the issue would be very much appreciated. It seems to have hit a peak today issue as I just was unable to start a cold engine; even with fluid, etc.
Thanks in advance for any help that you might lend.

Last edited by Stewart_H; 03-31-2015 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Removed some weird coding in the post
Old 03-30-2015, 12:13 PM
truck7575
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Which airbag system did you go with and how much was it?

Originally Posted by IMASAP

Finally some weather nice enough to work on the Ex a little. Installed my Air Lift air springs today. I am going to put together an on board air setup, but haven't bought a tank or compressor yet. Going to just use the Schrader valves to inflate for now. Installed the valves on my trailer plug bracket.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:15 PM
truck7575
More Turbo
can anyone verify that this white wire with blue stripe by the OBD port is in fact a keyed hot 12V source... ive been looking for a good one to install the dimmer on my towmax gauge too.

thanks
Rick

Originally Posted by A Rodder
I found the separate white w light blue stripe that is above and to the right of obd2 plug.

Pretty sure it's keyed on hot from first hand experience from previous poster.

What I still can't determine is taped with the RED / WHITE / BLUE / BLACK wires in interior is 3 smaller gauge wires that I cannot find on the engine side where the other ends of RED / WHITE / BLUE / BLACK wires are.

Currently I'm trying to get the key code off the sticker by the radio area.....not being successful

Old 03-30-2015, 12:31 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rjhucka
Hello, First, I am not a Ford mechanic. I am a old "Hippie" Porsche and VW mechanic.

So, my technology peak is about 1979. But, I understand basic Bosch FI etc. as I have worked on those systems. Secondly, I am new to posting on the site, so please forgive me if my post here is not within normal protocol.

With that said, I purchased a 1992 FordF150 automatic 4X4 with a 4.9 in-line 6 cylinder engine. I initially bought it in cold weather in Nevada

Since I first bought it 2 months ago, the truck ran fine with the exception that from time to time, after shutting it down for only a few minutes, the truck would not start. So, being an old Oklahoma ranch hand, I sprayed starter fluid in the intake hose and it would start every time. I have been guessing that a dirty fuel filter might be the culprit? As the fuel filter I believe is in the tank, and as I have been delaying the job, I have been spraying a shot of starter fluid in to start a warm engine and it has usually always worked. But, today it was 80 degrees and although I let the truck sit for about and hour; which is usually enough to allow a start - even without starter fluid) today, after 1 hour (80 degrees outside temp)- no start. I sprayed fluid and it would always fire, and exhaust the fluid; then die. Now it just seems that there in not fuel getting to the engine?

I have been looking at threads today, and troubleshooting advice ranged from O2 sensors, to other sensors, etc.. Now, wow I do not know where to start. Also, I have never pulled a code in my life (remember 1978 Technology expert), so any ideas on a good plan of attack troubleshooting the issue would be very much appreciated. It seems to have hit a peak today issue as I just was unable to start a cold engine; even with fluid, etc.
Thanks in advance for any help that you might lend.
Posting in the correct forum would probably be a good place to start. This is the 1999-2005 Excursion section.

Should do you a lot better: 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Last edited by Stewart_H; 03-31-2015 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Removed some weird coding in the quoted post
Old 03-30-2015, 12:42 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by truck7575
can anyone verify that this white wire with blue stripe by the OBD port is in fact a keyed hot 12V source... ive been looking for a good one to install the dimmer on my towmax gauge too.

thanks
Rick
Yes it is a 10A customer access ignition hot feed. This is where we hooked our key hot trigger wire for snow plow wiring.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:55 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Which airbag system did you go with and how much was it?

The kit an Air Lift 5000 part # 57340. I bought mine on Amazon, but there appears to be a lot of places similar in price. I paid $285ish, but there was a $50 rebate on the kit which I received in about 4 weeks, so overall the cost was around $235ish. Check the Air Lift web site, as I believe they have the rebate running again.

I want to add that the kit is really nice and everything fit perfectly. Only drilling was two 3/8ths holes in each lift block to bolt on the lower bag mount. I'm completely impressed with how well everything went together. I installed it in my driveway in a few hour yesterday afternoon.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:33 PM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
I put new front brake rotors on it and hauled a car to Ionia on Sunday. Going 75 in that wind was fun, especially on the way home empty. Arms were sore when i got home! I ordered Air Lift bags for the rear, they'll be on by this weekend.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:52 PM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carbon coupe
I put new front brake rotors on it and hauled a car to Ionia on Sunday. Going 75 in that wind was fun, especially on the way home empty. Arms were sore when i got home! I ordered Air Lift bags for the rear, they'll be on by this weekend.
Which rotors/pads did you go with?

Old 03-30-2015, 03:31 PM
01 EX PSD
Junior User
Changed out the steering box. Couldn't keep her in a straight line any more. All better now

Old 03-30-2015, 04:29 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Originally Posted by 01 EX PSD
Changed out the steering box. Couldn't keep her in a straight line any more. All better now
I may be next in my f250 anyway. Drove from NC to LA and it was really loose, tightened it up and drove to ND and stayed there a few months then back home and it suddenly was to tight, so I just loosened it up quite a bit.

Seems better for now but might just bite the bullet on a new one.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:43 PM
truck7575
More Turbo
What kind of air system did you go with? Where you gonna mount the pump and tank and what not? You plan on doing a write up for that whole thing?

Originally Posted by IMASAP
The kit an Air Lift 5000 part # 57340. I bought mine on Amazon, but there appears to be a lot of places similar in price. I paid $285ish, but there was a $50 rebate on the kit which I received in about 4 weeks, so overall the cost was around $235ish. Check the Air Lift web site, as I believe they have the rebate running again.

I want to add that the kit is really nice and everything fit perfectly. Only drilling was two 3/8ths holes in each lift block to bolt on the lower bag mount. I'm completely impressed with how well everything went together. I installed it in my driveway in a few hour yesterday afternoon.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:47 PM
truck7575
More Turbo
Just looked at the instructions for my MaxTow Glowshift fuel gauge and it says the dimmer function needs the orange wire to go to the 12V positive headlamp source.. anyone know the color wire and its location?

Old 03-30-2015, 05:58 PM
InmatesRunThePlace
Junior User
Just looked at the instructions for my MaxTow Glowshift fuel gauge and it says the dimmer function needs the orange wire to go to the 12V positive headlamp source.. anyone know the color wire and its location?
+1 on this one. I left my dimmer wire disconnected and am getting ready to plug it into a switched 12v otherwise. Way too bright at night.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:14 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
What kind of air system did you go with? Where you gonna mount the pump and tank and what not? You plan on doing a write up for that whole thing?

To be honest, the reason I haven't ordered an air tank yet is because I parked the truck for the winter and until about a week ago it still had ice and snow under it. I've been too lazy to get wet laying under there to figure out what size tank I can fit, and where. I'll likely tee into each side with two electric over pneumatic solenoids, one to fill and one to dump. No idea what compressor I'll use yet. Not looking to run air tools, but will want to be able to fill tires and such. I'll gladly do a write up when I do the install. Next project is to install my Pro Comp 22210 front springs and my new tires should be here in the next day or two, so the compressed air will be after that.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?