Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 06:41 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by EXv10
Just for that? I would order some new touch up paint.
Yes "just" for that. They are the only place that has touched the wheels since new, they installed the ONLY set of tires that have ever been on the wheels, and they where given instructions to NOT put weights on the outside, and no stick on weights. To only put them on the inside lip. If I can spot that from over 30 ft away, it's plenty noticeable, and on a wheel that's less than a year old, touch up paint isn't really acceptable. I didn't ask for a new wheel, I told them about it, they looked at it, and offered to buy one. Way I look at it, they just sold another tire, because now I can have a full size matching spare. Lol

Old 09-04-2014, 07:45 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
Yes "just" for that. They are the only place that has touched the wheels since new, they installed the ONLY set of tires that have ever been on the wheels, and they where given instructions to NOT put weights on the outside, and no stick on weights. To only put them on the inside lip. If I can spot that from over 30 ft away, it's plenty noticeable, and on a wheel that's less than a year old, touch up paint isn't really acceptable. I didn't ask for a new wheel, I told them about it, they looked at it, and offered to buy one. Way I look at it, they just sold another tire, because now I can have a full size matching spare. Lol

boy are you picky! all they did was break a piece of your rim off!

Old 09-04-2014, 09:51 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Ya, no kiddin right?!

In other news, the Wagoneer is almost ready for the road again. Have a trans cooler to install, a cowl on the hood, move the steering box forward on the frame, and put the grill/bumper back on.

Kinda excited to drive it around with it's Ford engine/trans/tcase.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:25 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you tried the "balancing beads"?

Amazon.com : Tire Balancing Beads - 1 bag of 8 oz -Truck/Motorhome/4x4/Trailer/Motorcycle : Other Products : Everything Else Amazon.com : Tire Balancing Beads - 1 bag of 8 oz -Truck/Motorhome/4x4/Trailer/Motorcycle : Other Products : Everything Else

Not these specifically, but I'm sure there is a tire shop around you that uses them, they work extremely well IMHO, especially on large tire / wheel combos. No balancing issues with them, they basically adjust themselves and the best part, no wheel weights!

Old 09-04-2014, 11:48 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back on the road today heading east. Now in Utah and should be home by Sunday. As you can see, my bumper has been on a killing spree... Not sure what bug caused the HUGE splat, but I am glad it did not hit the windshield.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:15 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
That is gross, i'm glad most of the bugs are going away with the cooler temps...but it means winter is on the way.

I drove the Ex tonight, had a bunch of running around to do and it was raining, so i didn't want to get the F-150 dirty...leaving @ 5AM for Seattle for the weekend, a good friend is getting married. Looks like i'm going to hit perfect weather, 80s and sunny!! woohoo!

Oh and Dave, I'd be PISSED about the wheel also. glad they are taking care of you!

Old 09-05-2014, 05:25 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
Last night I decided to trim the extraneous material from my LH battery box. Now my 6637 fits better and I can see/access the intercooler pipe. Cleaned up the battery and everything around it. Sprayed some T9 to prevent rust and will be ordering a new dust cover for my filter.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:39 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Mitch, I've used that kind of stuff before with mixed results. I had a set 37 inch of Falken A/Ts that wouldn't balance out no matter what I used.

Speaking of balance, they didn't do so good of a job on these tires either. Get up to 75 mph and the empty seats start to shake. guess they get to try again..

Old 09-05-2014, 07:27 AM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Mitch, I've used that kind of stuff before with mixed results. I had a set 37 inch of Falken A/Ts that wouldn't balance out no matter what I used.

Speaking of balance, they didn't do so good of a job on these tires either. Get up to 75 mph and the empty seats start to shake. guess they get to try again..
Never used them personally, my brother runs them on his 4X4 truck, running 37.5" mud tires, could never get them balanced, but seemd to be able to with the beads, he swears by them. I'll try them when I replace my tires.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:00 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by RigTrash601
Have you tried the "balancing beads"?

Amazon.com : Tire Balancing Beads - 1 bag of 8 oz -Truck/Motorhome/4x4/Trailer/Motorcycle : Other Products : Everything Else

Not these specifically, but I'm sure there is a tire shop around you that uses them, they work extremely well IMHO, especially on large tire / wheel combos. No balancing issues with them, they basically adjust themselves and the best part, no wheel weights!

I don't understand how balancing beads work. When something is spinning and out of balance the heavy end of the spinning (whatever it is) attracts anything inside towards the heavy spot making it even more out of balance until something gives.

Spin any drum and then start adding gravel to it, the gravel doesn't spread out and smooth out the spinning barrel, it finds the heavy side of the barrel and starts piling up there making the barrel more and more out of balance until it comes off its axises.

From what I know of physics is that anything loose inside of a spinning chamber won't climb to the high/light side and balance out the spinning chamber.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:37 AM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
I don't understand how balancing beads work. When something is spinning and out of balance the heavy end of the spinning (whatever it is) attracts anything inside towards the heavy spot making it even more out of balance until something gives.

Spin any drum and then start adding gravel to it, the gravel doesn't spread out and smooth out the spinning barrel, it finds the heavy side of the barrel and starts piling up there making the barrel more and more out of balance until it comes off its axises.

From what I know of physics is that anything loose inside of a spinning chamber won't climb to the high/light side and balance out the spinning chamber.
Not sure myself, but most guys that I talk to swear they do. My brother was really impressed after getting into the red clay we have down here, normally the truck would feel like it was going to "shake" itself to pieces until the mud was slung from the tire lugs, he said while it can still be a little rough, but it is way better with the beads. The local tire shop really only recommends them on oversize tires that they historically had issues balancing with weights.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:45 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker

I used these on my dually. Couldnt get those rears to balance for the life of me. Had the driveshaft done, checked axles. Tried these and they worked great. Below 20 mph you could hear the 'shot' rolling around in the ring but at 60+, perfect balance! I would recommend these over putting something in the tire.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:20 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
i used dynabeads on tires also 38.5 inch super swampers. worked really well. just go with the recomended ammount per tire size. its great since they always rebalance themselves and dont fly off like the stick on ones do offroading... lose a chunk of a lug. no problem the dynabeads rebalance as you drive.

honestly i think stick on tire weights should be a thing of the past. unsightly and need to be rebalanced every so often, seems like caveman tech to me.

go with dynabeads you wont regret it.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:38 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me what people can invent. Who would think beads in a tire would balance it...........and how does it?

Old 09-05-2014, 03:55 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Originally Posted by EXv10
It never ceases to amaze me what people can invent. Who would think beads in a tire would balance it...........and how does it?

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?