What did you do to the X today? - Page 107 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums



Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion SPONSORED BY:

What did you do to the X today?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1591  
Old 10-12-2011, 04:56 AM
Skip1970's Avatar
Skip1970 Skip1970 is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Alaska#1Again!SNOW!
Posts: 12,948
Skip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx View Post
as they say... opinions are like *******s everyone has one haha

only real time it stays outside is the 8 hours at work a day. when i go in the garage in the morning most if not all of the runoff that came off the truck is dry. ofcourse our winter air is soooo dry your going to see condensation you will see the same if you get in and take off. your windows will ice up from the inside due to breathing.

that said, i've never noticed any significant amount of moisture inside or out when pulling out/in or there after.


the were talking about the garage trapping condensation due to the melting making for a humid enviroment inside the garage
Reply With Quote
  #1592  
Old 10-12-2011, 07:03 AM
GIGGER's Avatar
GIGGER GIGGER is online now
Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: North Bay Ont Canada
Posts: 151,915
GIGGER has a superb reputationGIGGER has a superb reputationGIGGER has a superb reputationGIGGER has a superb reputationGIGGER has a superb reputationGIGGER has a superb reputationGIGGER has a superb reputationGIGGER has a superb reputationGIGGER has a superb reputationGIGGER has a superb reputationGIGGER has a superb reputation
I always have my trucks under coated with Rust Check, it helps alot
Reply With Quote
  #1593  
Old 10-12-2011, 08:12 AM
Snowseeker's Avatar
Snowseeker Snowseeker is offline
Post Fiend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Stevens Point, WI
Posts: 12,354
Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-uno View Post
Parking on grass or dirt or melting snow or ice is a big no no for undercarriages, i think if its in the garage long enough to dry it completely then it would be good, but still you go from 70 to below freezing in a matter of seconds when you pull out so the condensation on interior door panels and inside the body has got to be signifigant.

Garage vs Outside - Car Talk

"Parking in a heated garage will accelerate the rusting process, so I would advise against putting a car in a heated garage. "


I have lots of experience with rust so I will tell you my opinion.

I agree 100% with the parking over grass, water, ice, dirt, etc. I have seen it destroy my 89 first hand! The grass makes a cool damp environment under the vehicle constantly which keep the vehicle wet all the time. BAD!

The salt: "Sigh...." What I see happening in winter is the newer liquid salt gets in everywhere in a vehicle! Your vehicle may as well be dipped in a salt bath if you drive in winter. Where the salt/water mix runs to in the vehicle is areas that the factory did not coat with anything. In all the cracks, nooks, holes, between panels, in panels, etc., you name it or can think it the salt finds it. Now if that wasn't bad enough that the salt is everywhere in your vehicle but add heat expanding cracks, sealant, panel joints, etc. Also melting any frozen water and letting it run down to more places. All this stuff added up = junk vehicle. The constant heating and cooling of a vehicle when using a heated garage in winter just puts the vehicle threw this process over and over again all threw winter. Putting salt in areas that even car washes won't get it out. Then once it hits those spots not coated with anything much like the bottom inside of the doors of super duties or the rear wheel wells where ford only put great stuff it starts rust, instantly! Once the rust starts its all over, the rust holds salt, rust expands joints letting in more salt, and its all downhill.

Now leaving a vehicle in the cold helps some against these problems but the rust is still inevitable. What happens when leaving a vehicle out in the cold all winter is lots of places like the bottom of the doors, nooks, crack, and joints, get snowpack in them or ice over blocking some salt out from the exposed areas. Never thawing out this snowpack or ice by leaving the vehicle outside all the time helps it keep that ice barrier most of the winter. All the joints, crack, nooks stay shrunk and never open up or expand when left outside in the cold all the time.

Anyhow, you drive something in the winter on salted roads it will rust apart. That is why I drive junk in winter and store the nice things away. I am very tempted to send the bill for a new car to my state because my last one rusted away because of their salting. I didn't ask for salt, I can drive threw snow just fine, quit ruining my vehicles! Makes me so angry! I have to stop now before I get out of hand.
Reply With Quote
  #1594  
Old 10-12-2011, 09:13 AM
GIGGER's Avatar
GIGGER GIGGER is online now
Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: North Bay Ont Canada
Posts: 151,915
GIGGER has a superb reputationGIGGER has a superb reputationGIGGER has a superb reputationGIGGER has a superb reputationGIGGER has a superb reputationGIGGER has a superb reputationGIGGER has a superb reputationGIGGER has a superb reputationGIGGER has a superb reputationGIGGER has a superb reputationGIGGER has a superb reputation
Well said Snow, I hate salt too & I love Rust Check under coating
Reply With Quote
  #1595  
Old 10-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Toreador_Diesel's Avatar
Toreador_Diesel Toreador_Diesel is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 10,195
Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
In commoration of 10 years and 322,000 trouble-free, "never left me on the side of the road" miles: I called Clay at Riffraff and ordered her some of these: Riffraff Diesel: Stage 1 Single Shot Injectors

I almost as excited as the the day I got her new!!!!!!

Once I get paid, I'll order some of this stuff to get her and the fleet ready for winter: http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Count=2 AND http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Count=7
Reply With Quote
  #1596  
Old 10-12-2011, 12:52 PM
TXtinct's Avatar
TXtinct TXtinct is offline
You'll shoot your eye out
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 3,253
TXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputation
That's pretty cool... I want.
Reply With Quote
  #1597  
Old 10-12-2011, 01:29 PM
beefcake's Avatar
beefcake beefcake is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 291
beefcake has a good reputation on FTE.beefcake has a good reputation on FTE.
sold it......
Reply With Quote
  #1598  
Old 10-12-2011, 01:33 PM
TXtinct's Avatar
TXtinct TXtinct is offline
You'll shoot your eye out
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 3,253
TXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefcake View Post
sold it......
Congrats...
Reply With Quote
  #1599  
Old 10-12-2011, 02:45 PM
TXtinct's Avatar
TXtinct TXtinct is offline
You'll shoot your eye out
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 3,253
TXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputation
Tried to figure out how to take this off, no luck.

Reply With Quote
  #1600  
Old 10-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Skip1970's Avatar
Skip1970 Skip1970 is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Alaska#1Again!SNOW!
Posts: 12,948
Skip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputation
i think it comes off from inside the rear hatch panel
Reply With Quote
  #1601  
Old 10-12-2011, 04:14 PM
jasonodsky's Avatar
jasonodsky jasonodsky is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,008
jasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtinct View Post
Tried to figure out how to take this off, no luck.
Remove lower interior trim on the liftgate
Disconnect the latch arm from inside (little green lock holding the arm)
Remove lock assembly
Remove 6 or 8 nuts holding the part from the inside of the liftgate

Here is a linky to my backup camera install that notes the steps and has some picutres.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...l#post10408744
Reply With Quote
  #1602  
Old 10-12-2011, 04:43 PM
TXtinct's Avatar
TXtinct TXtinct is offline
You'll shoot your eye out
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 3,253
TXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonodsky View Post
Remove lower interior trim on the liftgate
Disconnect the latch arm from inside (little green lock holding the arm)
Remove lock assembly
Remove 6 or 8 nuts holding the part from the inside of the liftgate

Here is a linky to my backup camera install that notes the steps and has some picutres.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...l#post10408744

You rock!!! Tried to rep you but couldn't... So here you go...

Reply With Quote
  #1603  
Old 10-12-2011, 04:48 PM
GIGGER's Avatar
GIGGER GIGGER is online now
Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: North Bay Ont Canada
Posts: 151,915
GIGGER has a superb reputationGIGGER has a superb reputationGIGGER has a superb reputationGIGGER has a superb reputationGIGGER has a superb reputationGIGGER has a superb reputationGIGGER has a superb reputationGIGGER has a superb reputationGIGGER has a superb reputationGIGGER has a superb reputationGIGGER has a superb reputation
Thats ok TX, I repped Jason for ya.................
Reply With Quote
  #1604  
Old 10-12-2011, 05:41 PM
gr8scott72 gr8scott72 is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norco, LA
Posts: 2,305
gr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant future
Just changed the oil and flushed the transfer case. Refilled the transfer case with just over 2 quarts of Mobile 1 ATF.

Getting her ready for a 1500 mile round trip from Jackson MS to Chicago IL starting on Sunday. Heading back up there for work and the wife wants to go with me this time.
Reply With Quote
  #1605  
Old 10-12-2011, 05:48 PM
fordboy67's Avatar
fordboy67 fordboy67 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,641
fordboy67 has a brilliant futurefordboy67 has a brilliant futurefordboy67 has a brilliant futurefordboy67 has a brilliant futurefordboy67 has a brilliant futurefordboy67 has a brilliant futurefordboy67 has a brilliant futurefordboy67 has a brilliant futurefordboy67 has a brilliant futurefordboy67 has a brilliant futurefordboy67 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowseeker View Post
I have lots of experience with rust so I will tell you my opinion.

I agree 100% with the parking over grass, water, ice, dirt, etc. I have seen it destroy my 89 first hand! The grass makes a cool damp environment under the vehicle constantly which keep the vehicle wet all the time. BAD!

The salt: "Sigh...." What I see happening in winter is the newer liquid salt gets in everywhere in a vehicle! Your vehicle may as well be dipped in a salt bath if you drive in winter. Where the salt/water mix runs to in the vehicle is areas that the factory did not coat with anything. In all the cracks, nooks, holes, between panels, in panels, etc., you name it or can think it the salt finds it. Now if that wasn't bad enough that the salt is everywhere in your vehicle but add heat expanding cracks, sealant, panel joints, etc. Also melting any frozen water and letting it run down to more places. All this stuff added up = junk vehicle. The constant heating and cooling of a vehicle when using a heated garage in winter just puts the vehicle threw this process over and over again all threw winter. Putting salt in areas that even car washes won't get it out. Then once it hits those spots not coated with anything much like the bottom inside of the doors of super duties or the rear wheel wells where ford only put great stuff it starts rust, instantly! Once the rust starts its all over, the rust holds salt, rust expands joints letting in more salt, and its all downhill.

Now leaving a vehicle in the cold helps some against these problems but the rust is still inevitable. What happens when leaving a vehicle out in the cold all winter is lots of places like the bottom of the doors, nooks, crack, and joints, get snowpack in them or ice over blocking some salt out from the exposed areas. Never thawing out this snowpack or ice by leaving the vehicle outside all the time helps it keep that ice barrier most of the winter. All the joints, crack, nooks stay shrunk and never open up or expand when left outside in the cold all the time.

Anyhow, you drive something in the winter on salted roads it will rust apart. That is why I drive junk in winter and store the nice things away. I am very tempted to send the bill for a new car to my state because my last one rusted away because of their salting. I didn't ask for salt, I can drive threw snow just fine, quit ruining my vehicles! Makes me so angry! I have to stop now before I get out of hand.

Living next door to ya here in MN, I agree with you 100%. My father-in-law actually DID send the state of MN a bill, for rust repair on his Super Duty. They sent him a nice little rejection letter stating something about safer road conditions bla bla bla
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacing the rear speakers in a 2010 Regular Cab propellerhead Audio & Video Systems, Navigation, Satellite Radio & Mobile Electronics 14 06-22-2016 06:34 PM
78/79 RestoMod Raleigh1 1978 - 1996 Big Bronco 682 03-18-2016 02:29 PM
MY '03 EXCURSION...WITH '08 FRONTEND. DaXman Excursion - King of SUVs 30 07-03-2015 06:38 PM
New Member..New Owner.. RussEx Excursion - King of SUVs 10 02-09-2015 10:05 PM
Photos of the old Fords in my back 40 Longland 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 5 10-16-2011 06:33 PM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >

Tags
20x10, bouncing, excursion, f250, f350, ford, fuel, hydro, wpt943

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 AM.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.