Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Post Fiend

Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
I will wear gloves now and than when I have to work or more around real slimy parts or vehicles. I don't mind getting a little dirty but when you have to dig threw gunk to even see the bolts you need to take out I will wear gloves.

That and for any chemical work.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829
Old 04-04-2013, 02:50 PM
Senior User

59CRL is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.59CRL is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I fixed my super sloppy steering wheel. With the vehicle turned off you can turn the steering wheel a good 3 inches to each side.... this tells me the power steering gear box is shot or needs to be severly adjusted. While driving down the road it takes skill to keep the truck on the road. So.... I loosedned up the nut on the steering gear box and turned the allen screw in a good 3 full turns. Now the wheel is a little tighter but almost no play to each side. Maybe 1/2 at the most. Looks like I can put off a new steering gear box for a while....
Old 04-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Posting Guru

az_r2d1 is a splendid one to beholdaz_r2d1 is a splendid one to beholdaz_r2d1 is a splendid one to beholdaz_r2d1 is a splendid one to beholdaz_r2d1 is a splendid one to beholdaz_r2d1 is a splendid one to beholdaz_r2d1 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59CRL View Post
I fixed my super sloppy steering wheel. With the vehicle turned off you can turn the steering wheel a good 3 inches to each side.... this tells me the power steering gear box is shot or needs to be severly adjusted. While driving down the road it takes skill to keep the truck on the road. So.... I loosedned up the nut on the steering gear box and turned the allen screw in a good 3 full turns. Now the wheel is a little tighter but almost no play to each side. Maybe 1/2 at the most. Looks like I can put off a new steering gear box for a while....
Try flushing the fluid as well. Improved the steering feel on my EX a great deal. Very easy to do.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Posting Guru

wallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud of
Did this about 2 weeks back, but just no time to sit at a pc and post pictures.

New 50" single row front mounted LED light and my new back up, extra lighting facing back, 10" LED bar.

Click the image to open in full size.

switches mounted in upper console.

2002 Excursion, 4x4, V-10, XLT, RS9000 shocks, true trac diff, 08 alum diff cover, interior light delete, 08 power fold/xtend mirrors, KM2 tires, 5 Star tuned, front cryo powerslots with hawk pads, XRF ball joints. 50" front mounted LED bar, 10" reverse light LED bar. Banks stainless long tube headers and exhaust kit., front seat heaters.
2011 Expedition, Ltd Max, 4x4. 30" LED light bar, flip key fob, 9 passenger, more to come.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Senior User

Atc210 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Light bar looks cool, do you have a night shot of how bright it is?
Old 04-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Postmaster

sammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputation
Got Up pipes installed and bolted down tight (I hope) and everything from the CAT back in place and on jack stands. The CAT needs trimmed about another inch and the CAT hangers will work perfectly. Found 2 hanger issues from the CAT through to tail pipe I need to resolve.

#1 The rear CAT to Muffler hanger does not line up with the connection between the rear CAT and muffler and the hanger Banks sends is a clamp/hanger combo. On this one (1st pic below) I think all I do is use the hanger where it needs to be to fit the hanger in the frame which is about 2 inches south of the actual pipe joint, then add a 3" exhaust clamp over the joint.

#2 The tail pipe hanger is not going to work, it comes in the from the wrong direction and the spring is in the way. Thinking on this one (2nd pic below) I need to cut that hanger off, then cut the stock hanger off the original tail pip (3rd pic below) and weld it onto the tail pipe.

Any suggestions or easier fixes welcome.
Attached Images

2000 Ford Excursion 4x4 6.8L V10 85k
"The secret to a happy life is a bad memory"
Old 04-04-2013, 04:53 PM
WV Chapter LDR

Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.
partsguymatt PartsGuyMatt mvose OVC Archion
Looks good, Don't clamp it completely tight until you have it all fitting like you want, then cinch it down.
#22needsaface - Help serve those who served you.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:00 PM
Elder User

AzPatMan has much to be proud ofAzPatMan has much to be proud ofAzPatMan has much to be proud ofAzPatMan has much to be proud ofAzPatMan has much to be proud ofAzPatMan has much to be proud ofAzPatMan has much to be proud ofAzPatMan has much to be proud ofAzPatMan has much to be proud ofAzPatMan has much to be proud of
For pic 1 - I'd just bust out the dremmel and cut off wheel.
Cut the weld for the hanger and just re-weld it to the proper line up.
Otherwise, just go to lowes/home-depot and get some bar-stock and bend to your needs and weld it to replace the clamp/hanger combo.

Pic 2, I'd do the same and just re-use the old hangers after welding on (if you still have them laying around.)
h<font color=#000000>ttps://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-lxbT22oj5Dk/T6GIqbi11AI/AAAAAAAAAHk/Qva7BrSHDEE/s912/Ex-Towing.jpg</font>
`03 EX 7.3L,4inch Lift, Dyno'd at 605tq/312hp
285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers on KMC XD Spy's, 4inch Diamond Eye Exhaust, 6637 Mod + Riffraff filter cover. TW Tunes on Ts-6 chip. Riffraff boots, AIH Deleted
Old 04-04-2013, 05:13 PM
Postmaster

sammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPatMan View Post
For pic 1 - I'd just bust out the dremmel and cut off wheel.
Cut the weld for the hanger and just re-weld it to the proper line up.
Otherwise, just go to lowes/home-depot and get some bar-stock and bend to your needs and weld it to replace the clamp/hanger combo.

Pic 2, I'd do the same and just re-use the old hangers after welding on (if you still have them laying around.)

Pic 1 the hanger on the pipe isn't welded to it, it's a combination clamp and hanger in one it bolts on, I can move it back to line up with the hanger but then the joint where the CAT meets the muffler won't have a camp over it. Was thinking just slide it back and clamp it down where it needs to be to fit the hanger in the frame, then just add another 3" clamp over the joint.

On the tailpipe, yes I do have the old tailpipe hanger (pic 3) and I'm thinking I just need to cut it off the old pipe, and put it on the new one where I need it to be.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:19 PM
Elder User

AzPatMan has much to be proud ofAzPatMan has much to be proud ofAzPatMan has much to be proud ofAzPatMan has much to be proud ofAzPatMan has much to be proud ofAzPatMan has much to be proud ofAzPatMan has much to be proud ofAzPatMan has much to be proud ofAzPatMan has much to be proud ofAzPatMan has much to be proud of
Gotcha,
From the point of view - looked like the bar for the hanger is just welded to the clamp,
which could have been cut away and separated without effecting the clamp itself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammie0126
On the tailpipe, yes I do have the old tailpipe hanger (pic 3) and I'm thinking I just need to cut it off the old pipe, and put it on the new one where I need it to be.
Yep. That's why you keep the old parts around until the project is done - just in case you need to reuse part of it!
h<font color=#000000>ttps://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-lxbT22oj5Dk/T6GIqbi11AI/AAAAAAAAAHk/Qva7BrSHDEE/s912/Ex-Towing.jpg</font>
`03 EX 7.3L,4inch Lift, Dyno'd at 605tq/312hp
285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers on KMC XD Spy's, 4inch Diamond Eye Exhaust, 6637 Mod + Riffraff filter cover. TW Tunes on Ts-6 chip. Riffraff boots, AIH Deleted
Old 04-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPatMan View Post
Gotcha,
From the point of view - looked like the bar for the hanger is just welded to the clamp,
which could have been cut away and separated without effecting the clamp itself...

Yep. That's why you keep the old parts around until the project is done - just in case you need to reuse part of it!

Ok got you - you know that might work - I didn't get what you meant. I will look at it and see. If not no big deal to get an additional clamp at the parts store in the morning.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:03 PM
Senior User

truck7575 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.truck7575 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
truck7575 ricky booby 75
Your pics rock! Only thing would makem better is a squeaky clean X

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx View Post
well, i drove the excursion today..beautiful day its in the 40s and sunny. supposed to snow this weekend/next week though.

sold two trucks today so that was awesome! we grabbed some food and went for alittle drive to enjoy the sunset.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:05 PM
Senior User

truck7575 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.truck7575 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
truck7575 ricky booby 75
I've been using the nitrile dipped cloth gloves... They are fairly cheap and last a long time... I get 10 pairs at SAMs club for $6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowseeker View Post
I will wear gloves now and than when I have to work or more around real slimy parts or vehicles. I don't mind getting a little dirty but when you have to dig threw gunk to even see the bolts you need to take out I will wear gloves.

That and for any chemical work.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:09 PM
Senior User

truck7575 ricky booby 75
Go back over your diagram... Mine didnt line up either and I had one of the pipes in wrong place... Two were very similar and I had them backwards... On another note you could just buy another 4 inch exhaust clamp and use it at the joint then slide the hanger clamp back and tighten it in the right place so it lines up... Hope it helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammie0126 View Post
Got Up pipes installed and bolted down tight (I hope) and everything from the CAT back in place and on jack stands. The CAT needs trimmed about another inch and the CAT hangers will work perfectly. Found 2 hanger issues from the CAT through to tail pipe I need to resolve.

#1 The rear CAT to Muffler hanger does not line up with the connection between the rear CAT and muffler and the hanger Banks sends is a clamp/hanger combo. On this one (1st pic below) I think all I do is use the hanger where it needs to be to fit the hanger in the frame which is about 2 inches south of the actual pipe joint, then add a 3" exhaust clamp over the joint.

#2 The tail pipe hanger is not going to work, it comes in the from the wrong direction and the spring is in the way. Thinking on this one (2nd pic below) I need to cut that hanger off, then cut the stock hanger off the original tail pip (3rd pic below) and weld it onto the tail pipe.

Any suggestions or easier fixes welcome.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:13 PM
Post Fiend

AlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Eckerle View Post
Your pics rock! Only thing would makem better is a squeaky clean X
i know i wish! supposed to snow this weekend/next week. she wont be clean or see her 20" summer wheels/tires till late april. i think the deadline to have my studded snow tires off is May 1st. i plan on giving her a really good detail inside/out once it warms up and i can find my hose under 4ft of snow pack on my yard LOL
2011 F-150 Limited #3679 6.2 V8 4x4, Retrax bed cover, Husky mud flaps and wheel liners, HIDs, 35% tint
2002 Excursion Limited V10 4x4, 2.5/2" lift, HIDs,LEDs,20" DC wheels
1998 Expedition XLT 5.4 4x4,HIDs,16x8 ultra wheels,LEDs, HIDs
1991 F-250 lairat 4x4 5.0, 7'6" BOSS snow plow, Back Rack, Strobes, Work lights
Old 04-04-2013, 10:13 PM