Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Seat Won't move back

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 04:58 PM
Raganrsx
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having the same problem with my driver seat and pedals on my 04' f150 lariat. Fuse was blown and when I put a new fuse in, it blows instantly. I was thinking I have a pinched wire somewhere under the seat. It happened in 2014 and I left it alone because the seat is where I like it. But now I'm dealing with other issues on subwoofers not working and I wanted to figure this out as well.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:01 PM
Stouttrout
Junior User
Tried everything and can not get mine working. Does anyone have the wiring schematics for the power seat? Could it be a ground?

Old 10-02-2016, 01:04 PM
CharlyG
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool thread! I don't have the issue YET(2000 EX), but now have a solution....

Old 10-02-2016, 05:58 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Stouttrout
Tried everything and can not get mine working. Does anyone have the wiring schematics for the power seat? Could it be a ground?
For what year? Wiring changed in 02 and again in later years. 00 and 01 are pretty much the same...

Old 10-05-2016, 04:04 PM
Stouttrout
Junior User
Originally Posted by Nicmike
For what year? Wiring changed in 02 and again in later years. 00 and 01 are pretty much the same...
Sorry, I have a 2002 Excursion with a 7.3 2wd

Old 12-10-2016, 07:20 PM
msjuhlin1234567890
New User
Thumbs up Pictures of power seat controls

I've been using forums like this for a long time and gotten a ton of help. Now I can give something back.

The power seat in my F-150 was moving in only one of the six directions. So I decided to rip the side cover off. See picture 1. As it turns out the **** for the lumbar support is held in place by one of those damn horseshoe-shaped clips. If you've worked on American cars with manual windows you know them.

Underneath the cover everything was hanging loose, picture 2. This is because the decorative side cover was broken away from the seat in more than one place (look near the screwdriver.) I found out how that happened accidentally one day. I was getting out of the truck and my sliding off the seat caused the seat cushioning to put enough pressure on the trim piece to snap it outward. I weigh 175 lbs, not 475. Not good, Ford.

Picture 3 shows the power seat control switches. In my truck the seat moves 6 ways. There are 3 motors, each one moving clockwise and counterclockwise. In the picture you see 3 switches (the black rectangles) on one PCB.

I drew on picture 4 to show you how the switches move. The setup is very low tech. The little teeth on the switches (6 teeth on each switch) fit into the backside of the power seat rocker arm thing (the part that you touch to move the seat.) The three switches, their circuit board, and their huge power connector are all one unit. It snaps into the black piece - the back of the power seat control rocker arm - that you can see in picture 4 and 1.

The problem in my truck was when you get out the seat distends so much that everything on the left side breaks and unsnaps. All I had to do was get the switches to snap back into their proper place in the controls and everything worked again.

Attached Images     
Old 02-22-2017, 10:34 AM
neilc88
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is the 2nd time I had this problem. 2 different fixes.

1. The trick for mine was sitting in the seat ( our maybe I did not cycle it enough times before sitting in the seat and reclining it back and forth).

This didn't work the 2nd time.

2. Unplug all plugs from underneath the seat from the back of the seat. This worked the 2nd time.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:41 PM
Tamera Browder
New User
My F350 has same problem, checked with a mechanic who told me it can't be fixed by DYIer. The seat is sold as a unit, and has to be replaced as a unit. If somebody else has different info please post.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:46 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Tamera, your mechanic hasn't met us yet...

Old 09-11-2017, 03:35 AM
Rpruitt11
New User
tilt

Hello all. Having a problem with my tilt. Was working fine but one day I reclined seat all the way to take a short nap and tilted it back and now won't work. The up and down and back and forth work, just not the tilt and its the same lever for all. So now I drive with seat tilted all the way back and it's pretty uncomfortable. Anyone have any solutions? Thanks

Old 11-08-2017, 10:09 AM
Rlucero
New User
Smile 2011 F-250 Power Seat Problems

For a number of months my seat has sporadically failed to automatically reposition when I entered the truck. My local dealer service advisor could only say that he had similar problems with his F-150. A few weeks ago I had a separate issue with my battery and made the decision to have the service center replace it. I don't know if replacing it caused the system to reboot or the new battery provided the missing power, but issue with the seat is gone and I've not had a single failure since the battery was replaced.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:24 PM
jwdevus
New User
Angry 2001 Ford Excursion 4X4

Thank you everyone for at least trying to help all us with this Seat From Hell not going backwards experience :-)

The Toggle on my 2001 Excursion Front Drivers Seat Moves FORWORD, UP and DOWN "but not backwards" It is now in the most forward position

After reading to RECLINE the Seat (which I have done several times) does not work so I have pulled the damn thing apart cleaned the contacts checked everything and it seems fine, it still will not go backwards!

DO I NEED TO BUY A NEW SWITCH! Any help would be much appreciated :-)

Old 01-23-2018, 03:34 PM
01__Excursion
Cargo Master
Received 294 Likes on 232 Posts
Maybe these will help..
I scanned the power seat diagrams below..

CCF01232018_00000.pdf

CCF01232018_00001.pdf

Old 01-23-2018, 04:34 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

I have run across switches at the Gold Mine that would not work in one or two directions. Swap them out with a good switch, and everything works fine again. Let us know what you find on prices for the switches. If they are a lot of money, I have a spare I can loan you for troubleshooting. You will have to be here long enough to get PM privileges before that can happen, though.

In the meantime, you could try "hot wiring" your seat motor to go backwards so you can drive your X. You can do this from the switch, or on the motor itself. Use the wiring diagrams above to help you with that.

Old 02-10-2018, 03:35 PM
jwdevus
New User
How to Short Seat Switch on 2001 Ford Excursion

Thank you to those that have tried to help and posted diagrams :-)

I have tried and tried to short the Forward/Reverse for the seat switch to no avail! I have found there are two Blacks one is the Ground and the Other where you can see where the Blue Pen is pointed is HOT as I have tested! Now I have tried the other ports/wires on the switch with both Blacks and it does not move! WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!!!

Just an FYI I have figured out that the Switch is bad and tried ordering a new Switch on Ebay (Seller USASwitchCity) but it never arrived and have tried and tried to contact them to no avail! THEY SUCK and I would never use them again!!! So I will try ordering another switch!

Thank you everyone for trying to help as those that have worked on these Seat Switches know they are a bitch and my seat is all the way forward and I need to move back as we are getting snow Monday and need my truck to pick up my little girl from her mom :-)

Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Power Seat Won't move back