Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need Help Pleasee!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 06:00 PM
stroken
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help Pleasee!

Well driving home from Tenn. about a week ago the truck misses twice n when i go to pull over it dies, pop the hood and see a little oil underthere thinking i blew another <ACRONYM title="High Pressure Oil Pump">hpop</ACRONYM> line. i trailer it the rest of the way home and tear into it, i replace an o ring thats been leaking ang go to start the truck to see what line has a hole and wont start.

has oil pressure but takes a LONG time to build, pulled plug on resivoir oil squirts out while cranking and pulled plug on the head and oil pumps out while cranking.

has fuel pressure

any sugguiestions? ive checked the oil level, switched chips, <ACRONYM title="Powertrain Control Module">pcm</ACRONYM> thinking it fried it, all plugs, everything......

Old 08-07-2010, 06:11 PM
WilsonTaylor
Senior User
You seem to be thinking oil instead of electrical. Do you mind explaining what points you to an oil problem? Do you not see enough oil pressure to fire the injectors?

Old 08-07-2010, 06:19 PM
stroken
Posting Guru
i am leaning more torwards electrical now.

The only thing still have me thinking oil is the fact it takes forever to build oil pressure, and when it does it still doesnt start.

and when i say forever, i mean 6 or so cranks at 10 or 15 seconds a peice.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:32 PM
WilsonTaylor
Senior User
Cranking voltage? Tachometer moving? Turning over at a normal rate? Any smoke? Any blown fuses?

Just throwing out ideas.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:34 PM
stroken
Posting Guru
no blown fuses, no smoke, turning over fine, tach isnt moving but when i hooked up a cheap scan tool it showed rpms while cranking, replaced cps anyways just to see.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:51 PM
WilsonTaylor
Senior User
No smoke, no fuel.....Possibly pull a valve cover to see if you are getting oil out of the injectors? Check a wiring harness to see if you are getting voltage to the injectors? Where are you checking your HPOP oil pressure?

Sorry if I am just asking questions, but I feel that I am missing something.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:54 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Kenny, do you have access to AE or someone with it? I would be curious to see your ICP and Duty Cycle while cranking. Had the same kind of thing happen when my old hpop failed. Its rare but it happens. Check the ICP and IPR too

Old 08-07-2010, 07:13 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kenny, sorry you had problems getting home, thought you were good to go. How's your oil level? If it's low, it could be a problem. Did you find what busted on you? Are you gauges and lights coming on when cranking? Everything look normal other than not cranking? I know, lots of questions, but the more we know, the more we can help.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:54 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Would the LPOP be bad?? Or does that not affect starting issues? Just throwing things out there.

Once it builds PSI after cranking a bunch, does it start and run?

Old 08-07-2010, 08:17 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
What are you using to read oil pressure? The idiot gauge on the dash? I'm assuming the oil shot out of the plug on the HPOP reservoir immediately on cranking?

Did you check the fuses with a test light or visually? WTS light coming on and going off after a few seconds like normal? Tried starting with the ICP unplugged? Tin nut fall off the back of the IPR? Any chaffed or shorted wires on the ICP? IPR? 42 pin connector?

Old 08-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Bigcat350
Posting Guru
Kenny I had some thing like this and it was my IPR. Hook the AE up and check your oil pressure while cranking. If you dont hit 500 psi it probably wont start.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:44 PM
stroken
Posting Guru
truck wont start, just cranks n cranks and cranks.

yes i am using the idoit guage for reading, i have no way of reading oil psi, my buddy has a nice tool i think hes gonna come over tomorrow so i can read oil psi while cranking.

if i unplug the icp and it starts that means its bad? doesnt it being unplugged and not working gonna do the same thing?

tested all fuses with a test light

when i pulled plug on resivoir it came out almost immediatly, but i had been playing/cranking all after noon trying to start it, so it had time to get oil up there, but when i went out this am to try i tried several times and oil pressure gauge on dash never moved.

lpop is 18 months old...

oil level good....

sorry if i missed anythinggg,thanks for the help guys!!!

Old 08-07-2010, 11:52 PM
zx250
A bad ICP will sometimes cause false signal to the PCM, unplugging it will cause the PCM to default and allow it to crank, but won't run very well, but could point to a bad one. Make sure the oil spray you had didn't create a problem in one of you plugs. Maybe your IPR plug? Make sure the IPR nut hasn't come off. are any lights or relays clicking while you are cranking?

Old 08-07-2010, 11:55 PM
stroken
Posting Guru
sometimes cel comes one sometimes it doesnt, but the tool didnt see any codes.

i guess tomorrow i will tear every plug apart and maybe little shot of brake kleen?

Old 08-07-2010, 11:57 PM
zx250
What shut you down on the way home last week? Did you get it fixed?

Quick Reply: Need Help Pleasee!