Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Freshman User

kywildcat103 is starting off with a positive reputation.
fuel filter ford explorer

could some one tell me where is the fuel filter located on 2003 ford explorer and how much trouble is it to change? thanks
Old 08-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Post Fiend

steve(ill) has a good reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a good reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a good reputation on FTE.
our 2002 it was on the passenger side, about even with the back end of the front door. seems like its between the truck frame, and the rocker panel. i remember a triangular piece of sheet metal covering it up. I think it sets close to one of the CATS and the tin was to keep the heat off... the filter sets up HIGH and is hard to get to in the small cramped area.
2001 SuperCrew 4 x 4 5.4 XLT -235K miles -GONE
Old 08-17-2010, 04:55 PM
New User

Ford7269 is starting off with a positive reputation.
You also need the disconnect tool available at most auto parts store, honestly it took me all of 15min to do it.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Posting Guru

powersmoked is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kywildcat103 View Post
could some one tell me where is the fuel filter located on 2003 ford explorer and how much trouble is it to change? thanks
on a ford ranger it is in the frame rail drivers side...I think in the 2003 the connections are pushbutton so you don't need the tool........just make sure you relive the fuel pressure first...ie pull the fuel pump relay and tr to start the truck
2004 Edge, Ext Cab, 3.0 vin#U, 2wd, M5OD, AC, 100k, chasing a misfire #4, also an occasional P0316.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:41 PM
New User

Ford7269 is starting off with a positive reputation.
On the 2003 Explorer it has the ones you need the tool for. It pushes the little fingers in on the fitting ends on the lines. Push in the lines then the tool as far as possible then pull the lines out. First time it takes a little to get the feel for it. Also look before you by the filter see if you have either a 3 line or 2 line. Most likely 3
Old 08-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Posting Guru

powersmoked is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
go to post #15 in this thread Fuel filter removal - Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts "Serious Explorations"®
2004 Edge, Ext Cab, 3.0 vin#U, 2wd, M5OD, AC, 100k, chasing a misfire #4, also an occasional P0316.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Junior User

dan8052 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey kywildcat103,

Did you ever get around to installing your new filter? I wanted to give you and others, a heads-up on one thing. As far as getting to the filter, very easy. The only issue I had was removing the "red" clip that holds one side of the fuel line in place. I found a picture somewhere on this website w/detailed instructions on how to remove it and I still had trouble. Here's what you do... after you unclip the tab on the red clip (pretty obvious how to do that) you need to push both sides of the clip back through the metal clamp surrounding the clip. Not sure of any other way to describe how to do it. I messed with that thing for a hour trying to figure it out and when I did, I thought, oh, that was easy. You just got to know the trick. Good luck!

Dan
Old 08-18-2010, 11:44 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator

Tags
1997, 2002, 2003, change, changing, da, explorer, exployer, filt, filter, ford, fuel, mountaineer, removal, xlt