6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

ScanGaugeII/Edge Insight Questions- Accuracy and Features

Old 08-05-2010, 05:01 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
ScanGaugeII/Edge Insight Questions- Accuracy and Features

Sorry for the long post, I've been reading threads basically all day now (awesome day off) so I'm data-fried and overwhelmed, and I can't for the life of me find half the threads I remember reading stuff out. Thanks ahead of time for any help ya'll offer, feel free to point me towards more things to read since I've probably just missed all the threads explaining all my questions.

Basically I want to add gauges to my truck, or at least start the process. I'm leaning heavily towards a box instead of analog gauges for the first round, mainly because install is a lot easier, and it seems like having one is useful for a lot more than just the few gauges I want. I'm looking at the ScanGaugeII with XGauge and Edge's Insight CS/CTS models.

First Question: I've searched on here, and the only stuff I can find about the accuracy of these OBD interface boxes is that a few guys have run them on trucks with analog gauges and used that to compare, and said they're close enough. I've talked to some people I know in person, and they seem to think that since these boxes use the factory sending unit signals that are routed through control modules, that accuracy is basically as good as the idiot lights on the dash board. I just don't know enough about the sending units on AM gauges vs. how the factory stuff works, I always assumed the truck's computer could output a much wider range of info than the dash shows. So would I be better off saving up until I can get a full set of Autometer electrical gauges and making my cab look like a semi, or is the plug-and-play accuracy on the SCII or Insight good enough?

Second Question: Once accuracy is out of the way, price comes up. Initial costs on the Insight CS/CTS is easily double the SCII, but the Insight is expandable to include EGT (even though the probe costs more than an AM pyro), and can display double the number of parameters than the SG. Apparently the CTS will be upgraded to show fuel pressure, but that'll be another $120 probe, so the same as an analog gauge. If I get the SCII, I know I'll be adding a lot of analog gauges in the future, but with the Insight I'll be either adding gauges, or paying an equivilent amount for add-on probes. Can someone break down forum's preferences for me please? I see a ton of "My <brand name> works great for me" posts, but I couldn't find a lot of reasons as to why one is significantly better, and I didn't notice anything indicating if someone has run multiple boxes and can compare them firsthand. Basically, should I go cheap and add analog gauges, or is the CS/CTS worth the money?

Part Three:
*Edge's website doesn't have tons of technical data (or at least I can't find it), so can the Insight measure boost? Is there even a way to get boost on an OBD box on a 6.0L, since the ECM doesn't measure it?
*Will the current Insight boxes have a port for a fuel pressure probe, or do I need to wait to buy one until after the update?
*The CS/CTS looks like it can do a ton of stuff, definitely a lot more than the SCII, so are their any features that I'm not noticing on Edge's website that make the CTS better than the CS or SCII?

Last One, I Promise: DashDaq looks awesome, but cost is an even worse gut-check than the Insight CTS, and Drew's their website is lacking in information; plus I can't make sense of their PID list. Does a PID like "Exhaust Gas Temperature Bank 1, Sensor 1 (°C)" mean that it'll show what amounts to an EGT reading without installing a probe? I basically ruled out the DashDaq solely on cost, but is there something about it to make me look at it again?

Sorry for the incredibly long, n00bish, "do my work for me" sounding post, I promise I did my reading first, I even thought about PMing a bunch of ya'll who run these, but I honestly don't think I know enough about the differences between each of the devices yet to even do that, and I've hit the wall as far as reading through threads and trying to figure this out on my own.Thanks guys.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:21 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Regarding accuracy, I think the OBD scanners are very accurate. At least as accurate as analog gauges. Whoever told you they are the same as the idiot lights is misinformed. The PCM gets very accurate data, but it sends buffered, and largely useless, data to the factory gauges. Not true of the actual data.

I don't know enough about the scangauge to comment.

The Insight old model is what I have, and right now I would buy that again over the CTS. I am seeing a lot of frustration from the CTS users because Edge has not finished their design and software. They are promising features that are not there, and who knows if they ever will be. So, if you want a fully functional unit right now, the CTS might not be for you.

The old Insight provides very accurate boost values. This is one of the missing values on the CTS, at the moment. They only give you gross MAP.

Even the old Insight promises a lot of PID's that are not available on a Ford. But it gives what I need. Two missing things are fuel pressure, which is a missing PID, and IPR duty cycle, which Edge just doesn't support.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:26 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
My SGII gives me information which I think is important. I think it's the best bang for the buck OBDII device out there.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:28 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by william_04_x
I think it's the best bang for the buck OBDII device out there.
I agree with you. It is by far the most affordable, and completely satisfactory.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:53 PM
lovntexas
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got a CTS today and it does read boost on my 07 SD. I ordered the expandable EGT probe just in case they do add fuel pressure at a later date. I am pleased with the unit- wanted to monitor ECT/EOT, EGT, FP, and voltage without having my cab look like an airplane. The unit fits nicely in the drop down CD storage under the dash and a custom mount is in the works. I also like the compatibilty for a back up camera at a later date.

The readings seemed pretty accurate, of course I don't have anything to compare it to. Even if its not 100% spot on, it's much closer than no guages at all!

Old 08-05-2010, 07:18 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by lovntexas
Just got a CTS today!
Got any pics of it? How is the touch-screen interface? I put in an email to Edge this morning about some stuff, so I'm waiting on an email from them before I think seriously about the CTS.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
the cts rocks and edge will give you 210 on a trade for your old insight

plus the back up camera is a cool add ,, i just plugged in an old camera to check it out