1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New guy - 60 F250 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Byrd.Dog
Laughing Gas
Received 134 Likes on 106 Posts
New guy - 60 F250 4x4

I've had this truck for many years, but I'm finally getting started on fixing it up. Just trying to do basic stuff right now - gettin the lights, guages, brakes, etc working. The only source for parts I've found so far is LMC truck, & they don't have half the parts I'm going to need. Can anyone recomend other sources for parts? At the moment, I need a hood latch pin & the brackets for the tail lights(it's a step side). Also, I'm not sure if I should try to restore it to stock condition, or update some things & have a cool daily driver. Note - It does not have the origional engine. It does have the correct engine(292), just not #'s matching.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
NPD (National Parts Depot), Bronco Graveyard, Blue Oval Truck Parts, just to name a few.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:28 PM
59 shorty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've also used MAC's with no problems.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:22 PM
idaho211
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Joblot is a good source

Greensales

Dennis Carpenter has good reproduction stuff, seals, etc.

I bought most of my brake stuff from NAPA

Let us know if you are having a hard time finding certain parts on your 4x4 and maybe we can help.

Good luck.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:57 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Ebay is your friend.Monitoring it every day is best,as parts are quickly here and gone .After a period of time,you'll begin to know the going rate for certain parts,and will be able to recognize when there is an exceptional deal.Since our 57-60 (orphans) are not too popular,you'll find that many of the parts are not reproduced,so if you can,build yourself a stash of spares for those items.When your post count allows it,begin contacting others on this forum who have our year vehicles to network about sources,rumors,etc.Finally,the best single source is NumberDummy,who prowls all these forums.He can give you part numbers and availability.Direct a question to him,he'll eventually get back to you.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:21 AM
59flatbedford
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well for a lot of stuff just go to your local napa. they normally can get you the right thing or at least match something up (find the old gray haired guy that has worked there since Noah's flood not the new kid). Stuff like gaskets, brake, parts, electrical parts, etc ive had good luck with. not sure about cab gaskets and stuff but Dennis carpenter has that stuff.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Byrd.Dog
Laughing Gas
Received 134 Likes on 106 Posts
Thanks for all the ideas. Right now, I'm trying to locate info on rebuilding my carb. It's a holley 2 barrel, looks like a 2300, but exploded diagrams from holley don't quite match(the choke & inlet on the fuel bowl are different). The numbers stamped on it are List 8164, & below that, 2112. I've found a holley model# 2110; is the 2112 a variant of this, or were there just several variants of the 2300 that the standard diagram doesn't reflect?

Old 08-11-2010, 09:37 PM
idaho211
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Parts book for 60 292 should have something stamped lilke COTE9510-C or D. It should have a manual choke and the fuel inlet should be on the driver side of the bowl up high. The rebuild kit I got from Holley was 37-474 which seemed to fit. The diagram on the instructions is not the exact picture but the text says the picture might not be exactly the same as yours. This rebuilds a Holley 2300-C. I would buy a new float too. Good luck. Let us know how it is going.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:51 PM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
I had good luck with Dennis-Carpenter and LMC. I rebuilt my 292 Y-Block and got most of the parts from John Mummert FORD Y

I also got several items from ebay.

I don't have any experience with them but there is Bob's F100 Parts and Restoration - (951) 681-1956 - 9372 Mission Blvd, Riverside, CA 92509 and John's F-Fun Hundreds-Home Perhaps they can help with the 4X4 stuff, I don't know.

Good luck

Old 08-14-2010, 02:03 AM
thx1138
Junior User
Welcome

Hi Byrd.Dog,

Welcome aboard.

Have you been driving your truck for those "many years"? I'm not being rude, it will make a difference.

I've finally started rebuilding one of my trucks. It was my daily driver in the late 80's and has sat ever since the engine blew. Sitting takes it's own toll on things, especially gaskets and the entire brake system. I bought EVERYTHING new on the brakes; from the master cylinder out to the wheels. Stainless steel lines and silicone fluid will help keep them from needing that kind of rebuild again (at least in my lifetime). If your truck still has the original lines there are several companies who will duplicate them. One here in Ohio will give you a set free if they don't have the patterns (free in steel, U pay the difference for stainless).

RockAuto Auto Parts is a great source for parts: $58 for master cyl VS. $90-$130 everwhere else). Goggle "1956 F100 parts" and you'll find any part you need for the bed (and related). The tail lights and brackets are available painted, chromed or stainless; stock lenses or tricked out (blue dots &/or Ford script). www.midfifty.com is very good, with reasonable prices and great people (they called to make sure my order was right when I ordered a bunch of parts and only 1 park light. That rocks!!)

Do you know which transfer case you have? I played heck finding gaskets for my Dana/Spicer 24. You "should" have a Dana/Spicer 21 (they're easier to find parts for). Timken and others still make all the bearings and seals for the front and rear axles. "Should" be a Dana 44 front and Ford 9" rear.

Body parts and year specific (wiper motor & linkage, horns, ash tray, gauge cluster) are the ones that are hard to get. Buy 'em when you can. Learn to hoard.. er, stockpile. The extra little stuff make great trading material
WOW, I'm a long winded SOB .

Later,
Jim

Old 08-14-2010, 02:14 AM
thx1138
Junior User
Originally Posted by Byrd.Dog
Also, I'm not sure if I should try to restore it to stock condition, or update some things & have a cool daily driver.
Who says this has to be an either/ or situation? 'Stock' and 'daily driver' are not mutually exclusive. ...and COOL is the name of the game either way. I'll take an old truck (in any condition) over an econobox car, any day !!!!

Jim

Old 08-14-2010, 07:56 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Byrd.dog,I drive my '59 usually 60-80 miles per day ,partly through the mountains,partly on the freeway on my work commute.The steering,brakes,and suspension are stock.I do drive slow.