Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advance cover vs Fold a cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Crawgator
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advance cover vs Fold a cover

Does anyone have these covers? Can you offer your opinions of them?

Old 08-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Crawgator
Freshman User
Anyone?

Advance cover vs Fold a cover G4? Who has one? Both seem remarkably similar. I have read they are made in the same town in separate factories owned by cousins or something or other.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:59 AM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
Yes, the owners are cousins.

I can tell you that the installation of a FoldACover is a real PITA. It's almost impossible to install it just right. You have to put the cover on the truck, mark where the rails need to be, remove the cover, and then install the rails. You will never get the rails in the exact position.

Advance cover does not work that way. Just put the rails on the truck and attach the clamps.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Crawgator
Freshman User
Originally Posted by TruckDaddy
Yes, the owners are cousins.

I can tell you that the installation of a FoldACover is a real PITA. It's almost impossible to install it just right. You have to put the cover on the truck, mark where the rails need to be, remove the cover, and then install the rails. You will never get the rails in the exact position.

Advance cover does not work that way. Just put the rails on the truck and attach the clamps.
I had an advance cover on a Tacoma in 06. Cover was good but had a few rivets that got loose over time. No big deal. I have read several things that seemed like the Fold a Cover was worth a look see. Sounds like its not worth the effort!
Any reason to get the fold a cover? Only feature I know of is the trunk you can add to the front.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:24 PM
Mule Ldy
Senior User
Extang Solid Fold

I went with the Extang Solid Fold on my '11 F-250 KR SB . I had considered the Fold a cover with the box.....but my source had more positive experience/opinion for the Solid Fold. The box was ridiculous money. The install is a piece of cake....just four connectors....two in front , and the two simple pull release clips for easy open/close in the back. It can either fold open to 1/3....or you could remove it completely if necessary. I'm extremely happy with it. I had the ARE fiberglass on my last truck....beautiful, secure....but limiting with the angled opening....tired of it.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:30 PM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
Originally Posted by Mule Ldy
I had the ARE fiberglass on my last truck....beautiful, secure....but limiting with the angled opening....tired of it.
Undercover now has the SE-Smooth model which is paintable to match your truck. It only weighs about 58 pounds and can literally be removed from the truck in less than 60 seconds. Just as pretty as fiberglass but with way more utility.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Crawgator
Freshman User
Talking

I ended up purchasing the Advance cover. Excellent quality but it took a bit to get it installed. Trouble is getting the rails to fit just right on the sides. With the ridges on the top of the bed, its hard to get the rails flat. They include small offsets on the rail to help set it away but I ended up making more.

I had to grind down the rail where the front latch is to get it to fit due to the above. The only other issue is that you need to fabricate something to make the
cover fit level with the rail. The front and rear section of the the rail are flat and the rubber gasket they send has almost 1/4" gap for 6 inches front and rear of the rail. The interior gasket keeps 99% of the water out so this is a cosmetic issue now.

The manufacturer is under new ownership. I spoke with them and all the cover's are dealing with the odd ridges on the bed rails. He mentioned he was working on a fix for the gaps but it would be a bit of time.

Slight fit issues aside, I am happy with the cover overall. Very well made and functional.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:48 PM
greenpus
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crawgator
Anyone?

Advance cover vs Fold a cover G4? Who has one? Both seem remarkably similar. I have read they are made in the same town in separate factories owned by cousins or something or other.
I bought a Advance cover and it was crap. Within 3 months of installation the black cover started changing colors. The black anodized black started turning purple. I had a cover that was part black and part purple.
I called the company and talked to the owner. He knew about the problem but still sold the crap. He claimed the parts he ordered for these covers came from another company that did poor quality work. He basically blamed the other company that supplied him parts. Apparently he didn't want to get stuck with the inventory so he continued to sell these subpar covers.
I asked for this to be fixed under warranty and he offered to send me a can of spray paint, an alcohol pad and a small scuffing pad. I told him I wanted to send the cover back for an exchange. He said no. He said if I sent it back it would cost me 140.00 in shipping and he would paint it and send it back as is. I told him to **** off. I wouldn't buy crap from him or his inbred cousin that runs Fold A Cover...
I still have the Advance cover on my truck and it's now falling apart. The rubber seals are rotted and all the fabric straps that hold the cover down are rotted. $600 worth of junk.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:43 AM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
Wow, poor customer service and poor product. FoldACover won't last much longer.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:29 PM
Mule Ldy
Senior User
Update on my Extang Solid Fold

I'm now into 5 months with the cover and still like it, but want to mention two things that may matter to some. In the summer I found the top to be BURNING hot....needed gloves to handle it ! Since I don't open it much, not a huge issue. I like the neat , dry , secure look. I like the versatility over the ARE hard top I had for many years . The ARE had an electronic key lock...handy....and was easy to open and close....but it also damaged the paint on my truck. Altho I doubt " this " will happen often.....the other day I couldn't open the tailgate.....and therefore also can't open the Solid top . Apparently some snow melted and created moisture between the top gasket and tailgate and froze shut. Once the temperature rose the next day, it did open.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:16 PM
jmaimin
Former Vendor
Read what customers say about the Bakflip..

Read customer comments about the Bakflip.

Just go to our facebook page : BakFlip Tonneau Covers - Product/Service - Founded: 1988 | Facebook

Click on Filter. Then "Just Others" and you can read what customers have to say.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:20 PM
Crawgator
Freshman User
No problem with my advance cover. This one has been on my truck for almost 7 months. Looks new.

My last cover was a advance cover on a 2006 Tacoma. It looked new when I sold it on the truck 3 years later.