6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

05 Ex 6.0 random stall, intermittent no start

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 11:22 PM
cobrarep
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 Ex 6.0 random stall, intermittent no start

Some strange problems just lately:

first - occasional hard start >> long crank no start 2 or 3 times, then always started. Wanted to blame remote starter but that does not really make sense unless everytime.

then - sporadic but noticeable lack of power on acceleration >> notice it once, not there next time. Wanted to blame new 20" wheels/tires, thinking computer confused by wrong speed indicated.

then - two random stalls, one yesterday while driving at 40 mph, second time today at just starting away from stop sign. first time restarted after pulling over and trying a few times crank but no start, waiting a few minutes then started, second time similar. Both times sounded like if it was a carburetor gas engine a little feathering of the gas pedal would get it going.

tonight - worked well for four short trips today, tonight after been sitting for one hour would crank but not start. Tried a bunch of times over another hour, no good.

No DTC codes.

Another hour searching and I found a post here talking about unplugging ICP sensor at front of passenger side valve cover so did that (did not try starting again first) and it started right up but threw a code P2617 Crankshaft Position Output Circuit. That code does not sound like it would have to do with the disconnected ICP Sensor.

Cleared the code, plugged the ICP sensor back in and again it started, perhaps a couple extra cranks but away it went. Went around the block, turned off, started again right away, no DTC codes come up.

Perhaps bad ICP sensor? No oil around it or on the harness.

Perhaps problem with CPS? But then why would unplugging the ICP sensor make a difference?

Could hesitation, stalls, intermittent no start all be tied to the ICP Sensor? Or all of them to a bad CP Sensor?

Worthwhile to change one or both and see what happens? Believe I just moved out of 5 year warranty period, would try these myself if any reasonable hope of success.

Also read about HPO problems, that sounds too tough to take on myself and real expensive out of warranty.

Truck has 62,000 miles, last month oil and filter change, last fall fuel filters and air filter change. All Motorcraft parts, did work myself.

All ideas welcome!

Old 08-04-2010, 02:55 PM
cobrarep
Junior User
Just an update note - truck started fine this morning a couple times, ICP sensor is plugged in.

Wife is off driving it now so fingers crossed it works for her!

Tried Ford dealers here (Edmonton, in western Canada) for ICP sensor, three days to get plus $179 so that's not really great. Less than a tow and repair at a shop if that IS the problem though...

Old 08-04-2010, 04:07 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
You can get 2614 and 2617 codes from a no start/stall event. Your problem is probably the STC fitting at the HPOP or some kind of HPO leak. It's very common with 05 and up trucks.

Check the inservice date on the truck for warranty ASAP if you're not sure. If VERY close you may get some assistance from Ford (within 20 days I believe)

Old 08-04-2010, 06:19 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by cobrarep
Just an update note - truck started fine this morning a couple times, ICP sensor is plugged in.

Wife is off driving it now so fingers crossed it works for her!

Tried Ford dealers here (Edmonton, in western Canada) for ICP sensor, three days to get plus $179 so that's not really great. Less than a tow and repair at a shop if that IS the problem though...
I just sold one on ebay for $25

Old 08-04-2010, 06:22 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

so when it stall is it like someone just turned the key off? or is more like I just ran out of fuel?
any smoke not normmally there?
dont worry to much about the ckp code just yet. the ckp and cmp sesnors dont fail to often.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:34 PM
brickie
Cargo Master
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by cheezit
I just sold one on ebay for $25
Inbox me if you get any updated 03s,my truck eats about one a year for some reason.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:58 PM
cobrarep
Junior User
so when it stall is it like someone just turned the key off? or is more like I just ran out of fuel?
any smoke not normmally there?
dont worry to much about the ckp code just yet. the ckp and cmp sesnors dont fail to often.
Thanks for your interest.

I would say like the key suddenly switched off, no sputter, no bucking, no surge, just instant dead. And very hard steering!

Did not see any smoke when it quit but probably would not. Did not notice any unusual smoke when it restarted finally either, this truck does not make much smoke as a rule.

Interestingly when I unplugged the ICP sensor yesterday it started immediately, I would say with less cranking than usual. When I plugged the ICP sensor back in it took a few more turns to fire up, I would say pretty much exactly like it normally takes. Same when I started it this morning, took the same number of cranks to fire as usual, always seems a little too long to me.

When it was cranking for extended time (before I unplugged the ICP) I did see the oil pressure gauge move up into the middle after a few turns if that means anything.

My wife ran around six different places today and truck started and ran normal all day.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:44 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,470 Likes on 1,711 Posts
Originally Posted by brickie
Inbox me if you get any updated 03s,my truck eats about one a year for some reason.
I believe any year model ICP will work in your truck Tony.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:21 AM
brickie
Cargo Master
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by bismic
I believe any rear model ICP will work in your truck Tony.
That is something I didn't know.I bought one of ebay a couple years back before I knew about the updated sensor,it lasted about 5 months before it leaked leaked.I don't know why ICP sensors only last a year in the 350 but that is all I have come to expect.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:15 PM
cobrarep
Junior User
One more update to my stall/hard start adventure...

I just stopped in at Ford to check my warranty status - turns out it expired June 24/10, about 5 weeks ago. Ford won't do anything extra for me ("goodwill") since I brought the truck from the US to Canada two years ago. I have bought one vehicle (2003 Expedition) from them, I have had service and repair and extras (like remote starters) installed by them, I have had this truck serviced by them and I send our company E450 to them for all service and repairs, still no luck.

They said they would be happy to do the diagnostics for $375 and then give me an estimate for repair...

Looks like I am on my own for whatever it costs and with whatever help you guys can provide.

As mentioned earlier unplugging the IPC sensor DID get it to start so does that determine the problem is the sensor rather than the STC fitting?

Has anyone ever had the STC fitting repair done by anyone but Ford? Or how tough to do myself? I do have some experience on the tools but can't really afford the truck in pieces for several days unless I rent a car for my wife - then she won't want to go back to the truck!

Thanks for your interest and ideas.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:20 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

first I would pull the ipr and check for a damaged screen. if damaged replace the ipr and retest.

I have done my own stc fitting change. I found it easy and had it done befor lunch.

getting it to start means it started. random no starts like this is suspect stc fitting.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:51 PM
cobrarep
Junior User
first I would pull the ipr and check for a damaged screen. if damaged replace the ipr and retest.

I have done my own stc fitting change. I found it easy and had it done befor lunch.

getting it to start means it started. random no starts like this is suspect stc fitting.

Thanks cheezit

Do you know of a good how to on STC replace and on IPR screen check? I tried searching around but run into hundreds of posts, have not yet found one pointing to a DIY page.

And if a person goes to the trouble of STC fitting repair is there other things to replace in and around at the same time?

Thanks!

Old 08-05-2010, 07:59 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

the stc fitting is not bad to do. no need to remove the intake to do it. you may find it less work to do so however.
I dont really keep track of the dyi threads because I dont use them. I dyi this stuff all day long.
so far as what else to do. I would pull both valve covers and replace the dummy plugs and stand pipes with the updated parts.