1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Camshaft not getting oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 12:30 PM
phil6608
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your going to do just the head,(good idea)
Be sure to shop around!
I sold a complete set of 5.4 heads,(that's cams and everything) For 200 bucks!!!
There's some good deals out there.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by phil6608
If your going to do just the head,(good idea)
Be sure to shop around!
I sold a complete set of 5.4 heads,(that's cams and everything) For 200 bucks!!!
There's some good deals out there.
Agreed...
JL

Old 08-13-2010, 01:01 PM
Nightmare97
Junior User
Hmmm, so what happens to the oil pressure when the journals for the cam are ground down to nothing? It drops. Then what happens to the oil pump screen as it collects the shavings? It plugs. Then what happens to the pump when the shavings that make it past the screen get into it? It gets smoked. This is kindergarden *****. One more, doesn't an oil filter have a bypass? Yes. Quote:

PRIMARY FILTERS

Primary filters are standard on most engines. They are also called “full-flow” because 100% of the engine oil passes through them in normal operation. The filters must work without introducing a lot of restriction, or else oil will not flow into the engine during cold start-ups. This is one reason the full-flow filter allows passage of the comparatively small contaminants; trying to catch everything would restrict flow.
If blockage occurs in the filter, bypass valves open. This allows oil to go around the filter and back to the engine. In this situation, lubrication with unfiltered oil is better than none at all.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Nightmare97
Hmmm, so what happens to the oil pressure when the journals for the cam are ground down to nothing? Then what happens to the oil pump screen as it collects the shavings? Then what happens to the pump when the shavings that make it past the screen get into it? This is kindergarden *****. One more, doesn't an oil filter have a bypass? Yes. Quote:

PRIMARY FILTERS

Primary filters are standard on most engines. They are also called “full-flow” because 100% of the engine oil passes through them in normal operation. The filters must work without introducing a lot of restriction, or else oil will not flow into the engine during cold start-ups. This is one reason the full-flow filter allows passage of the comparatively small contaminants; trying to catch everything would restrict flow.
If blockage occurs in the filter, bypass valves open. This allows oil to go around the filter and back to the engine. In this situation, lubrication with unfiltered oil is better than none at all.
The bypass on a modular dumps back directly to the pan. NOTHING bypasses the filter and enters the oiling system unless it goes through that filter-PERIOD...NOTHING.
JL

Old 08-13-2010, 01:13 PM
Nightmare97
Junior User
I'm not talking about an oil pump bypass Johnny, I'm talking about the bypass that in the oil filter itself, and it sure as ***** allows shavings to go through the engine, there's no other way for it to go. Try reading up on oil filters, you might learn something.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Nightmare97
I'm not talking about an oil pump bypass Johnny, I'm talking about the bypass that in the oil filter itself, and it sure as ***** allows shavings to go through the engine, there's no other way for it to go. Try reading up on oil filters, you might learn something.
You're being a bit arrogant and assuming alot aren't you?
You don't know me, nor do you know what I know and have experience with. If the OP pulls the other cam cover and finds that cylinder head in good condition, then I can assure you that the main and rod bearings are still good. He hasn't lost enough material on that cylinder head to completely clog the filter,or in my experience enough to bypass the filter internally.
JL

Old 08-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Nightmare97
Junior User
Originally Posted by Johnny Langton
You're being a bit arrogant and assuming alot aren't you?
You don't know me, nor do you know what I know and have experience with. If the OP pulls the other cam cover and finds that cylinder head in good condition, then I can assure you that the main and rod bearings are still good. He hasn't lost enough material on that cylinder head to completely clog the filter,or in my experience enough to bypass the filter internally.
JL
One of us are being arrogant, that's for sure, the question is, is it me or you? I'll say it's you. For you to assure anyone that the other bearings are still good is stupid talk. I've already disproved your statement that NOTHING gets past the oil filter, you're to hard headed to listen. Who is the fool? It's the guy that thinks he knows everything and can't be taught.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:59 PM
bigwill1767
New User
OK guys, heres the scoop. I dont have any experience with internal engines. I have replaced water pumps, alternators, transmission etc but never messed with the internals. Thats why I am asking for experienced help. I know there are shavings in the cam area but I do not see any sludge build up. When I took off the cam caps I could see way down in the oil ports and they looked cleaned. I am not saying they are not clogged at the other end but they do look clean at the upper end.
Now the reason for all the problem is from low oil. I had not checked the oil level in a while and did not know the truck was low or was consuming oil. My wife has a Hummer H3 and I never have to add oil to it. I do check the oil level periodically but never had to add any between oil changes. I had been using the wrong oil in the F150. I have used 10w40, 5w30, 20w50 but never used 5w20.
I was driving and heard the knocking sound and pulled over to check it. It was dark and no flashlight with me but I thought maybe it was a belt tensioner pulley gone bad. I continued to drive about another 10 miles and the truck died. I coasted into a parking lot and checked the oil. It was about 2 1/2 qts low. No need to tell me Im an idiot because I have already kicked my own *** a couple dozen times over this. I bought some 10w30 and filled it back up and it cranked up but was still knocking. Thats when I towed it to a recommened mechanic. Later found out he knew nothing about this engine and was calling his friend at the Ford dealership for advise.
The truck will crank, doesnt run hot or smoke.
I will take the other valve cover off this evening and check to see if it was starved of oil or signs of wear/shavings.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:03 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The talk is much better when it focuses on the tech and not the perception of who is stupid.

Subscribing.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:17 PM
70f100longbed
Fleet Mechanic
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm with johnny on this one. It's possible for one cylinder head to be oil starved without damage to the other head or the crank. There is an orifice in each head that restricts the oil. They are in the rear cam cap on the pass side and the front cam cap on the driver's side. All the oil the head gets must flow through the orifice first. Ford has a special service message about aftermarket oil filters coming apart and clogging an orifice. I have seen it one time with a Fram. The black glue that holds the media to the cardboard end caps broke loose and clogged the pass orifice on a 2006 E-150. The cam journals got scored and the chain guide wore to the metal on that side. I replaced the guide and cleaned the glue out of the orifice and it ran fine. Point being is the OP needs to check the driver's side before condemning the engine. As a side note, Fram puts the bypass valve at the end of the filter where all the dirt collects so when it does bypass, all the dirt gets flushed back into the engine. Motorcraft filters have the bypass at the threaded end so when it bypasses, the dirt stays in the filter.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:05 PM
Nightmare97
Junior User
Deleted.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:14 PM
Nightmare97
Junior User
Deleted

Old 08-14-2010, 01:31 AM
Nightmare97
Junior User
Originally Posted by 70f100longbed
I'm with johnny on this one. It's possible for one cylinder head to be oil starved without damage to the other head or the crank. There is an orifice in each head that restricts the oil. They are in the rear cam cap on the pass side and the front cam cap on the driver's side. All the oil the head gets must flow through the orifice first. Ford has a special service message about aftermarket oil filters coming apart and clogging an orifice. I have seen it one time with a Fram. The black glue that holds the media to the cardboard end caps broke loose and clogged the pass orifice on a 2006 E-150. The cam journals got scored and the chain guide wore to the metal on that side. I replaced the guide and cleaned the glue out of the orifice and it ran fine. Point being is the OP needs to check the driver's side before condemning the engine. As a side note, Fram puts the bypass valve at the end of the filter where all the dirt collects so when it does bypass, all the dirt gets flushed back into the engine. Motorcraft filters have the bypass at the threaded end so when it bypasses, the dirt stays in the filter.
Lets start over. The engine has 197,000. miles on it, had no oil, and has a loud knock. Some say the lower end is fine, I say not very likely. So far it looks like someone took a torch to the cam journals on one head, and a cam follower was sitting in the bottom of the head. Being a FORD Master Mechanic, maybe you can explain what happens when you're driving around with one valve that's not opening. You know, things like cyl. pressure, heat, and the damage they cause. While we're at it, what happens to the oil pump when shavings pass through it? It goes bye-bye. Or, let's say NO OIL passed through it, either way, is the crank still good, or do you think it spun a bearing and thats why it's knocking? This whole conversation is a joke, nothing more than a pissing match.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:16 AM
bigwill1767
New User
Pics of drivers side cam shows more shavings but not as bad as passengers side.

http://s368.photobucket.com/albums/o...%20Side%20Cam/

I found a 4.6 from a wrecked 98 Expedition that I may buy for 750.00.

I think I should just replace the motor and be done with it

Old 08-14-2010, 11:45 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by bigwill1767
Pics of drivers side cam shows more shavings but not as bad as passengers side.

Drivers Side Cam pictures by BigWill1767 - Photobucket

I found a 4.6 from a wrecked 98 Expedition that I may buy for 750.00.

I think I should just replace the motor and be done with it
In this case,yes-it's done.
JL

Quick Reply: Camshaft not getting oil