Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-03-2010, 09:02 AM
New User

The Dark Knight is starting off with a positive reputation.
Turbo/boost failure 2008 F250

One of the turbo's was squealing at about 99k, the dealer said they replace the turbo, now I have the following intermittent problem. The turbo/boost fails and the truck has no acceleration. You can see the boost gauge is at zero and the accelerator is mashed to the floor, I could be cruising at 80 on the freeway and the back off for a second then try and pass a car and the boost dies, nothing. I pump the accelerator, put it neutral and rev the engine repeatedly until the boost comes back. This happens in a thousand different scenarios, to many to explain. The dealer had engineers look at the truck and they said there was an excess of carbon build up in the turbo's, I donít know what they did but they cleaned it up and it went away for about 10k miles, now itís back and much worse. The truck now has 129k miles on it and Iím at a loss, obviously itís out of warranty. Any ideas anyone?
Old 08-03-2010, 09:23 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
sounds likethe electronics to the turbo's to me. Check the connection to the turbos and check your coolant level for it as well.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 08-03-2010, 10:28 AM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
TomB985
This could also be a fuel problem. Have your fuel filters been changed recently?

Currently truckless.
Most recently: 2013 F150 XLT 4x4 EcoBoost
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced
Old 08-03-2010, 11:01 AM
New User

Yes I Have, we even make sure the water seperator is clean
Old 08-03-2010, 11:03 AM
New User

It does in a way sound like something electronic, but nothing is repedative in the way it frees its self so its so hard to nail down
Old 08-03-2010, 11:19 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
I guess my best advice for now is the check all the connections, ensuring good contact. Check the mechanicals to the turbo for proper operation.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 08-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Posting Guru

ChargersFanInCO has a good reputation on FTE.ChargersFanInCO has a good reputation on FTE.ChargersFanInCO has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
Yes I Have, we even make sure the water seperator is clean
I'm not trying to make you sound stupid, but did you change the filter at the separator, or did you just drain it?
Old 08-03-2010, 02:39 PM
New User

Yes, the filter at the seperator has been changed, not a stupid question at all. I cant believe no one else has had anything like this happens, this sucks. I could walk out to the truck right now, start it up and low and high turbo's won't boost, how is that possible?????
Old 08-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Junior User

whitre is starting off with a positive reputation.
What about turbo clamps? Are they tight?
Old 08-03-2010, 03:10 PM
New User

I will have our mechanic check those, recently there has been an exhaust smell in the truck while at a stop
Old 08-03-2010, 04:15 PM

If you have an exhuast smell then there may also be other factors at play here.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Senior User

kane gray is starting off with a positive reputation.
Maybe your EGR valve is stuck open. Although that would probably be too simple of a fix.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:09 PM
New User

mspurr is starting off with a positive reputation.
loss boost and power

I have a 2008 F-350 with kind of the same problem, if I'm driving at about a 100 km and floor the truck to pass a car i have no power about a 1/4 of boost, then if you let off and ease in to the peddle the boost comes up but slowly. if you pull over and shut the truck off and start it back up the power is back and works find till u drive at a 100 or slower for 10 or 15 min. some times if you hold the peddle to the floor till it govern out the power will come back. i have had it in to ford a few time and they can't find anything wrong with it.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:09 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2008, 2011, 64l, acceleration, boost, bost, check, diesel, engine, f250, ford, high, powerstroke, trucks, turbo, upgrade, warrenty