Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

1993 7.3l IDI my first diesel

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 04:33 PM
Mechdziner714
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What size is the fuel line for the return hoses? I replaced my filter and knocked a couple of hoses off and noticed they are old and cracked to hell. I had some 1/4" fuel hose to patch it but it seems a bit too tight. Should i buy the kit from Pensacola? Are the o-rings that come with it not worth using and get those from McMaster Carr? What other parts should I replace while im in there?

Old 06-14-2014, 05:49 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
Boy this thread sure throws into contrast the guys that arent around anymore.
Huh, how do you mean?

Originally Posted by Mechdziner714
What size is the fuel line for the return hoses? I replaced my filter and knocked a couple of hoses off and noticed they are old and cracked to hell. I had some 1/4" fuel hose to patch it but it seems a bit too tight. Should i buy the kit from Pensacola? Are the o-rings that come with it not worth using and get those from McMaster Carr? What other parts should I replace while im in there?
There are two return line systems out there; the older style had a single barb on each connection, and used 3/16" line. The newer system has multiple barbs on each connection, and uses 1/4" line(the tubes are bigger, too).

Also, tight return line is good; as long as you can get the line on over the connector, you're fine.

O-ring wise, I don't know. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the ones in the kit *were* the same ones as the McMaster Carr ones... It's more that you will end up needing more than one set's worth, if you tweak your system at all.
The O-rings don't seem to do as well these days, what with the ULSD and all, though that may be all a matter of just disturbing them.

Also, a little tip: Use Lithium grease(I'm using wheel-bearing grease) to install your O-rings, not Petroleum Jelly as I've seen suggested. It seems to do very well, and the ones I've installed this way don't 'weep' for the first couple of heat/cool cycles, like they used to.
Also, this lithium grease will not melt at top-of-engine temps; so any that's on the outside of the O-rings will /stay/ there... not that it will make any real difference, I don't think.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:54 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool! More good info for the never-read FAQ.

Originally Posted by Festus Hagen
Injector Installation Kit

Many prefer to toss the o-rings in the kit (and I highly suggest you do) and use these Viton Return O-Rings - McMaster-Carr Item 9464K24, Viton is impervious to Diesel.

For the Injector Installation Kit installation You can follow Starmilts Humorous Fuel Return Replacement Procedure, I like to cut the 6 pieces between the Injectors to 4-1/16", Use a sharp razor blade to cut the hose and Vaseline to lubricate the o-rings.

For proper fuel system bleeding you can use steps 1 through 4 and 13 through 15 of the Fuel Filter Replacement.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~