Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2014, 05:33 PM
New User

Mechdziner714 is starting off with a positive reputation.
What size is the fuel line for the return hoses? I replaced my filter and knocked a couple of hoses off and noticed they are old and cracked to hell. I had some 1/4" fuel hose to patch it but it seems a bit too tight. Should i buy the kit from Pensacola? Are the o-rings that come with it not worth using and get those from McMaster Carr? What other parts should I replace while im in there?
Old 06-14-2014, 06:49 PM
Elder User

Macrobb is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle View Post
Boy this thread sure throws into contrast the guys that arent around anymore.
Huh, how do you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechdziner714 View Post
What size is the fuel line for the return hoses? I replaced my filter and knocked a couple of hoses off and noticed they are old and cracked to hell. I had some 1/4" fuel hose to patch it but it seems a bit too tight. Should i buy the kit from Pensacola? Are the o-rings that come with it not worth using and get those from McMaster Carr? What other parts should I replace while im in there?
There are two return line systems out there; the older style had a single barb on each connection, and used 3/16" line. The newer system has multiple barbs on each connection, and uses 1/4" line(the tubes are bigger, too).

Also, tight return line is good; as long as you can get the line on over the connector, you're fine.

O-ring wise, I don't know. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the ones in the kit *were* the same ones as the McMaster Carr ones... It's more that you will end up needing more than one set's worth, if you tweak your system at all.
The O-rings don't seem to do as well these days, what with the ULSD and all, though that may be all a matter of just disturbing them.

Also, a little tip: Use Lithium grease(I'm using wheel-bearing grease) to install your O-rings, not Petroleum Jelly as I've seen suggested. It seems to do very well, and the ones I've installed this way don't 'weep' for the first couple of heat/cool cycles, like they used to.
Also, this lithium grease will not melt at top-of-engine temps; so any that's on the outside of the O-rings will /stay/ there... not that it will make any real difference, I don't think.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:54 PM
Postmaster

Chevy_Eater has a good reputation on FTE.Chevy_Eater has a good reputation on FTE.
Cool! More good info for the never-read FAQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus Hagen View Post
Injector Installation Kit

Many prefer to toss the o-rings in the kit (and I highly suggest you do) and use these Viton Return O-Rings - McMaster-Carr Item 9464K24, Viton is impervious to Diesel.

For the Injector Installation Kit installation You can follow Starmilts Humorous Fuel Return Replacement Procedure, I like to cut the 6 pieces between the Injectors to 4-1/16", Use a sharp razor blade to cut the hose and Vaseline to lubricate the o-rings.

For proper fuel system bleeding you can use steps 1 through 4 and 13 through 15 of the Fuel Filter Replacement.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~
1992 F350 CC dually 7.3L IDI, E40D Sold!

Quote:
Blaming the Prince of Fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their Prince!
Old 06-15-2014, 08:54 PM