Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V10 (6.8l)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Modular V10 (6.8l) SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-02-2010, 12:23 AM
Senior User

YZ250rider is starting off with a positive reputation.
No check engine light but sputters

Back in Feb. went through a bunch of really deep snow and my truck started to sputter really bad. Well since then it has gotten better but still does it about evey other time I drive it. No check engine light so not sure what it is, but i think it is something that is low on the truck because it started when I went through the snow. When it first started to do it I popped the hood and the c.o.p wasnt wet at all so im thinking it had to be lower on the truck some were. 99 v10 118xxx 4x4 Thanks for any replies.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
That low, could be the crank position sensor, but do the easier thing first - check for a dirty MAF. When does it do it? Acceleration? Idle? what?
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 08-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Senior User

Accleration but it isnt everytime I drive it .Maybe like 80% of the time and sometimes its really bad. Almost seams like theres a loose wire or something.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Sounds like a misfire, caused by a wet spark plug hole.

Best thing would be to pull the COPs and see if you find any gunky/moist boots.

When were the plugs last done?
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 08-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Senior User

3 years ago and they are motorcraft and about 21000 miles ago
Old 08-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Senior User

Mr-Pipeline has a good reputation on FTE.Mr-Pipeline has a good reputation on FTE.
Have you checked the air filter? Might have gotten snow in the air filter causing damage and reducing air flow. Also, could have gotten onto the MAF. Just going for the easy stuff first.

2000 XLT F350 4x4 V10 CC SB 4.56LS, 06 E-series long block swap - 285/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T - Red-Head Steering Box - 5-Star Tuning - Warn Hubs - 05 heated tow mirrors - 2010 tailgate - 2007 front end conversion w/headlight relay's - Zone Off-Road Leveling kit - Autometer GS gauges - Ride Rite air bags - F650 dash w/uplifter switches -
Old 08-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Senior User

greenego is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Have it scanned for codes. You could have a pending code showing a cylinder misfire without a check engine light being on.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Senior User

PPrash is starting off with a positive reputation.
I picked up a 99 V10 4 weeks ago. It had a sputter/ missfire. Ended up I could hear a tapping when I first started it and got out of truck, then it went away, then I heard it again. Quick opened the hood and got a milk crate to stand on to get in close. As I got closer I knew it was not a typical mechanical lifter tap but a electrical arch snap. I then found a coil bolt loose and shut it off. took the bolt out and pulled the coil. Low and behold the boot was split up the length part way and was misfiring out sideways through the crack. I replaced the boot and it immeadiately ran smoother at idle and the occasional stumble on highway is gone 100%. Well, that is my story anyhow.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:39 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V10 (6.8l)

Tags
97, aviator, bad, check, connect, cougar, drove, engine, f150, ford, light, real, snow, sputtering, sputters, transit, truck, v10