6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Should the tailpipe be black?

Old 09-13-2010, 06:47 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
It is all part of the diagnostics. You should never swap parts because of "in the past" the DPF was cracked.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:35 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IIRC your first post indicated no oil showing on the dipstick; and now there is oil in downpipe and intercooler. Where did the oil go? I guess you answered that. Where did the oil come from? Turbo?

Bob

Old 09-14-2010, 07:41 AM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bnmccoy
IIRC your first post indicated no oil showing on the dipstick; and now there is oil in downpipe and intercooler. Where did the oil go? I guess you answered that. Where did the oil come from? Turbo?

Bob
Seals in the turbo. It started slow (causing the first dpf replacement), then got really bad, overwhelming the dpf, plugging it up faster than it could process the oil. Remember, the DPF is the LAST thing that should be replaced in the diagnostic process (if needed).

Old 09-15-2010, 09:31 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is what I figured from the final details you posted. Have not heard of a lot of turbo failures. I wonder if the owner is one to allow a cooldown if out pulling hard before shutting down to prevent coking of the oil in the turbo bearings; guess we will never know. Then you didn't say the turbo bearings were shot, just the seals; I don't recall the mechanics of the seals and perhaps high heat soak oil temperature would not be an issue. Worn bearings would lead to early seal demise. Sorry, just thinking out loud.

We use to have a sign in the shop that said "take care of your equipment and it will take care of you"

Vloney, thanks for sharing......

Bob

Old 09-26-2010, 07:12 PM
John7894
Cargo Master
UPDATE!!!

I dropped off the truck this past week to the dealer... They called Friday and said they ordered turbos for it and it should be ready sometime this week. The guy who called didn't know much.

I dropped off the truck for the following problems.

1) Too much regening going on. Does it about every day
2) Black tailpipe - The service guy told me this is normal. I got pissy and explained the DPF system to him. He then rolled his eyes and said "whatever"
3) Exhaust leak. I found it myself right where the 2 turbos bolt together.

Why would the dealer be changing turbos? All I can think of is they are leaking oil into the exhaust? If this is the case then wouldn't the DPF need to be replaced too. Wouldn't the DPF need to be replaced simply based on the fact that the pipes are black. I mean if the pipes are black the DPF must've failed? Sound right?

Even if the DPF worked and burned off any oil in it then the pipes would still not be black. Sound correct?

BTW, check my sig. I'll be selling this truck before the end of the year... I'm going back to my old 7.3

Old 09-26-2010, 07:22 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
DPF may or may not be plugged, only way to tell would be to pull it off.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:17 PM
John7894
Cargo Master
But then why is the exhaust pipe black? I thought the DPF was supposed to catch it all?

Or will certain oils or fuels be black when it burned and the DPF not be plugged?

Old 09-26-2010, 08:27 PM
overthehillbill
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BTW, check my sig. I'll be selling this truck before the end of the year... I'm going back to my old 7.3[/QUOTE]

John, That's what I did back in March. You're a luck man to still have your 7.3. I had to buy one. A few mods and I'm a happy camper. Easy to work on, sounds like a diesel and why worry about a sooty exhaust pipe? Don't have to go to dealer for anything, lots of after market parts much cheaper.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:58 PM
John7894
Cargo Master
I kept the 7.3 to drive for work and get it banged up instead of the 6.4

I ended up driving the 6.4 more than I wanted and have racked up 45,000 miles in almost 16 months. It's also been to the dealer 4 times in those 16 months... I just don't see me ever being able to work on this 6.4 like I can with the 7.3, so I'm going to get rid of it... It's a nice, quiet, smooth and overall a nice truck. It would just be that much better with a 7.3 under the hood. I just don't see the reasoning to send it to a shop for every little problem it may have when I can fix almost everything on the 7.3 in my driveway...

Old 09-26-2010, 09:29 PM
overthehillbill
Senior User
My 6.4 only had 14,400 miles on it when I sold it. Radiator, EGR, DPF and CAC had all been replaced. The lousy mileage was the final straw. At first, I missed the performance of the 6.4 especially when towing my fiver. I really missed the tow/haul feature. The JW transmission and the DP Tuner w/decel tune took care of that issue. I am very satisfied with the tow performance using the tow tunes. The increase in mileage will pay for the mods over time.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:04 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Update...Got tired of mine looking "old"...I polished it, and 700 miles since, it's spotless...I know I shouldn't have, but...

Old 10-01-2010, 04:18 PM
John7894
Cargo Master
Mine just got new turbos on Monday. They said the oil leaking past the seals caused my constant regens. My only concern is that the oil has damaged the DPF to the point of it needing to be replaced as well. I expressed this to the dealer and they said no.

Now I'll have to scrub the tailpipe and the truck will get driven for a full week and I'll log everything. If it's no better than before the dealer gets the truck again and gets one more chance to make it right. After that Ford gets a call from me. Either Ford is telling the dealer the wrong info or the dealer is too lazy to diagnose and fix a problem completely.

I can understand fixing a problem. But sometimes you also need to fix the other things that the original problem damaged along the way. In this case it's my DPF. My pipes have been black for 47K miles and the whole time the dealer said it's OK. It's been to the shop 4 times in 16 months for black pipes and other problems.

It wasn't until I told the service advisor that I understood how the DOC and DPF systems on these trucls worked and that under no circumstances should the tailpipe be black! He politely called a few days later to say the turbos were on order... Either he's stupid or lazy or Ford just ties the dealers hands to no end!

In a related story... Anybody want to buy this thing? Seriously it'll be for sale. just gotta get some new shoes and a front end alignment for the old 7.3 to make it driveable again... My only concern is selling a possibly problematic truck to someone else...