Sponsored by:

Had a Bit of an Accident

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 06:10 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Had a Bit of an Accident

Had my 5yo daughter with me, but all are OK. There was an accident in front of me on a major road in Colorado Springs and I could not stop in time.

So The two vehicles in front of me collided. I do not know who was at fault for that one. An Accord and a commercial F150.

My bumper munched.

This is the complete aftermath.

His munched bumper.

All fixed!

So all parties reported being OK at the accident. My daughter immediately went back to sleep in her car seat. We waited for 3.5 hours for a patrol car to show before I left. I reported the accident the next day online. The commercial truck had to wait on scene for the police. I have no idea how long he waited in the end. I also do not know if the Accord driver waited on scene after I left. Later, the Accord driver reported neck injury.

This wreck was nearly a month ago, and I am surprised that I have not received a ticket in the mail. Guess I was not at fault. The pictures I took (having been a cop, if you recall) probably helped with that. Also, my commercial policy is not going up from this.

Looking at the damage initially, I did not think much was done. However, the repair total was over $3k. My frame was bent, power steering cooler fins repaired, NEW PLOW MOUNT installed, new bumper brackets, new bumper, and new grill (from '05 Harley SD, modified to fit just like the broken one). During frame repair, the heat toasted one of my Bilstein shocks. That model is discontinued, so they had to get me the Bilstein 5100 series inverted shock... SCORE!

Also, the insurance company reimbursed me for buying a new car seat to replace the one in the accident. Insurance also completely covered my rental, which happened to be a shiny black F150.

In the end, my commercial insurance policy from Progressive (USAA does not offer commercial policies, and partners with Progressive in the regard) was AWESOME.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:34 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad everyone is ok! I really cant notice much of a difference

Old 08-27-2015, 07:03 PM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had a Bit of an Accident

Been awhile since I've seen you around and had wondered if all was okay. Glad to see that nothing serious happened and that most of all your daughter was okay.

Cheers,

Nate

Old 08-27-2015, 07:04 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
Glad everyone is ok! I really cant notice much of a difference
Ummm, you saying it looks mint?

Stewart

Old 08-27-2015, 07:16 PM
JaySVX
Fleet Mechanic
Glad everyone is ok! Stuff like that really startle you. One of the reasons I enjoy having the excursion, I've had my share of people bumping into me, and glad I wasn't driving what the other people were.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:34 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once at a stop light this old lady in front of me took off, so I eased up to the stop sign looking to my left for traffic. She stopped for no reason and I bumped her. Her trunk was seriously smashed, my bumper was tweaked enough I had to put a jack under one corner of it and "untweak" it (Back to mint . She didn't want to call the cops and that was it. She was prolly lit.

Makes me laugh when I here how safe Volvo's are haha.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:50 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by nmclella
Been awhile since I've seen you around and had wondered if all was okay. Glad to see that nothing serious happened and that most of all your daughter was okay.

Cheers,

Nate
Yeah, most stuff is good to go. Business is growing. Been uber busy. Hunting season is coming up, so I do not see things slowing down much till next year, if ever.

There has not been much going on with the truck and something had to give way in my little free time. Internet, beyond paying bills and business stuff, went waaaay down the list. I did miss my pals here on FTE, however.

So it looks like some of the nuts loosened up on my XRF ball joints from 10 months ago. I checked em a couple of times and everything was kosher, so I am not sure when that went south. I have not yet checked to see if the joints are damaged. Either way, my tie rods are all shot so may be doing ball joints and tie rods at the same time. I will take it to a shop with my parts, as I do not have the time to fiddle with all that in my yard.

Looking at either the XRF tie rod kit ($375ish), or Bulletproof Steering custom setup ($700ish). My wife likes the Bulletproof idea, so we are trying to see if we can squeeze it into the budget somewhere. I have a groovy wife

Old 08-27-2015, 08:14 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Ummm, you saying it looks mint?

Stewart
I'm just sayin something, I don't really know

Ok, here you go......
I've always felt immortal's Excursion has character, so a few more imperfections would hardly be noticeable.

If your blindfolded

Old 08-27-2015, 09:04 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
World's slowest build project. Ya know? :P

Old 08-27-2015, 09:10 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Immortal_Ben
World's slowest build project. Ya know? :P