Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

driveshaft balance

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 09:40 AM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
driveshaft balance

So tomorrow the truck is going in for a realignment because the first time ford did it the truck developed a pull so I want them to fix it, I figured I might have the driveshaft balanced while I'm there, it shouldnt cost more than $30? yesterday the vibrations seemed to be coming from the rear and was shaking the seat, the U joints are new, would these be symptoms of an unbalanced shaft? no weights are missing on it

Old 08-01-2010, 09:51 AM
RRranch
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never saw a Ford dealer that can ballance a driveshaft and I've worked at a bunch of them. I seriously doubt that is your problem unless you can see it is visibly bent or something is loose on it. Check your spings, bushings and shackles on the back. Shocks too. You could also have a bad tire. I'd definitly be looking at other stuff before a driveshaft if it looks ok.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:00 AM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
well I know the shocks have to be replaced all the way around the truck, I've checked the leafs to look for something broken and none are, I've had all 6 of the tires balanced two weeks ago

Old 08-01-2010, 10:34 AM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
what about transmission mount?? how do I test it, I can see its on the cross member but what do I do to test it

Old 08-01-2010, 02:08 PM
galute
Senior User
Try doing a search on this forum for "death wobble" and do some reading on that to see if that sounds like your problem. It's a common problem with these trucks.
One other thing, if a steel belted tire is allowed to run out of balance for a while sometimes the bouncing can cause the steel belts to shift slightly. You can then balance it till your blue in the face and still not stop the bouncing even tho there will be nothing visably wrong with the tire.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:27 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is this a 250 or a 350 you are dealing with.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:44 PM
RRranch
Posting Guru
Since your tires were off recent;y did you check to make sure all the lugs are tight.
This is not the death wobble thing. It sounds like it's doing it all the time. the "death wobble" is usually after hitting a bump or a dip when the truck gets a mind of it's own. That's something else entirely.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:45 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
they didn't notice a bent/warped rim when balancing the tires Powerstroker?

Old 08-01-2010, 03:01 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
No they said everything was fine, I also had the truck aligned and balanced at the ford dealer not some side shop downtown, this is not a vibration that occurs after hitting a bump, you start to feel it at 30mph in the steering wheel mostly, then gets worst at 50-55mph then starts to calm down, trans mount and motor mounts are fine, my rag joint was fine, new inner and outer tie rods, ball joints are fine, lugs are tight, new driveshaft u joints, all 6 tires are new and inflated at the same exact psi, steering stabilizer is brand new, I'm about ready to run it off a cliff, doesnt have anything to do with abs system, no brakes are hanging, and is not transmission or driveline related because I can let off the gas and it still does it, drive with od off and it does it, shift to N and it does it

Edit: it is a F350

Old 08-01-2010, 03:37 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
350 with a d60, check the track rod mounts and bushings. Just a thought.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:41 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
yes i has the d60 up front, what is the track rod? not the same as drag link right? but the diagonal bar behind the draglink?

Edit: also the truck does need new shocks all the way around, these ones are original and has rust on the surface but no signs of fluid seeping from them, just whenever I hit a road bump I fly up into the roof

Old 08-01-2010, 03:56 PM
RRranch
Posting Guru
The track bar is on the passenger side behind the axle. Bolted to the axle and the frame. It keeps your axle in place side to side. If the bushings even look the least worn replace them. I hate alignment shops! I did that as my specialty for a long time and you all wouldn't believe the stuff I would fix that other shops just let go and aligned anyway.
It never should have been aligned with anything loose on the front end. It looks like they did though adn just ripped you off.

Heres a quick lesson on checking the front end.
For ball joints, jack up each front tire a couple inches then put a big prybar or pipe under each one and try to jack the tire up and down while someone watches the joints. Any movement at all means they are bad.

For tie rod ends and drag link, with the wheel jacked up on one side grab it at 3 and 9 oclock and shack right to left with someone watching all the joints. Any movement is bad. Feel how the wheel bearings are too while the wheel is up. Shouldn't be any movement at all.
And check your wheel torque. Should be at least 120. I do mine to 150.
That's something else noone ever does in shops getting paid flat rate.
If you feel it in the steering wheel then it is in the front end.

Also look again at your spring bushings and especially the shackle bushings. You may have to drop the front end of the front springs and the rear end of the back ones to see those but I will bet you the bushings are wasted on the shackles if they are original. That is the leading cause of most ride problems on these. That and shocks.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:41 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
for ball joints and tie rods I did the exact tests you describe, just for my knowledge if I had to replace shackles isnt it extremely hard to get them off to replace them? because the bolts are a pita? Im going to go check that bar behind the axle right now

Old 08-01-2010, 04:42 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
by the way thanks for helping me out with this guys

Old 08-01-2010, 05:17 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
okay track bar is good, looked at the spring shackles in front the rubber inside looked a little worn

Quick Reply: driveshaft balance