General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Why do they sell fifths of whiskey?

Old 08-01-2010, 12:23 AM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
Why do they sell fifths of whiskey?

I've often idly wondered why they sell booze in fifths. ( Which are 1/5 of a gallon or 4/5 of a quart).

I had assumes that it had to do with taxes, or maybe prohibition, but I've never heard of a reason. I just did a little googling, and there didn't seem to be any help.

I'm hoping that the mega powers of fte can answer this burning question.

Thanks,

hj

Old 08-01-2010, 12:44 AM
fordtruckman
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe they were 3 sheets to the wind when they made that decision.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:26 AM
OrangeJuice
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe so that you can hide it under your jacket easier? Or for some people maybe under their car seat? A drink for two? Easier for small hands to handle the bottle? Less to be wasted when the police catch you with an open container and they pour it out? I have 8 empties on top of my kitchen cabinets right now...

OJ

Old 08-01-2010, 06:09 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,218 Likes on 801 Posts
WikiAnswers - What year was alcohol first sold in fifths

Don't know if this helps any, but it seems to be a question that begs for an answer.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:21 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I found this;
Liquor/Spirits Bottles
" Transitional from the earlier squattier type bottles above to the taller narrower cylinder "fifth" shapes shown below are bottles generally shaped like that pictured to the left. This taller, narrower shape was used for spirits as well as ale/porter, wine, and likely other liquid consumables (Wilson & Wilson 1968). These types show the stylistic trend towards taller more graceful (less "squatty") forms in the mid 1800s. Typical of these bottles is the bulged or bulbous neck; later spirits styles/types were dominated by straight sided necks as discussed below. Although similar shaped American made spirits bottles can date occasionally from the late 18th century, they really began to dominate by the 1820s and 1830s. These shapes gave way to variations of the standard "fifth" bottle in popularity in the U.S. by the mid-19th century, but never actually disappeared like the earlier squat bottles above (McKearin & Wilson 1978)."

"The illustration to the right is of a "Tom Gin" bottle from the 1906 Illinois Glass Company's bottle catalog which is very similar in shape and size (1/5th gallon) to the 1850s bottle pictured above. "

So a filth goes back to at least the 1850's. Use the link to see illustrations.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:31 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
I found this on Yahoo Answers. I have NO idea if it is true.

Before World War II, wine and hard liquor in the USA came in quart bottles. A quart is a quarter of a gallon. During WWII liquor was scarce and expensive. The soldiers drank a lot and they shipped the grain that would normally go into whiskey to our allies, to eat. So, to make scarce supplies go futher, they started putting liquor in fifth of a gallon bottles. They got 5 bottles a gallon instead of four. People who were used to buying a bottle of liquor every day, week or month still bought one, it was just smaller.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3155157AAQMi7Z

Old 08-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Lady Fitzgerald
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dchamberlain
I found this on Yahoo Answers. I have NO idea if it is true.

Why do they call a bottle of liquor "a fifth"? - Yahoo! Answers
I could find nothing to refute or verify this but it "smells" of urban legend.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:06 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,218 Likes on 801 Posts
OK, I went a different route on my search and came up with this.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...cAq14QiOra6yig

Old 08-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
OK, I went a different route on my search and came up with this.

Why 750 ml bottles? | Carafe Winemakers
My Firefox doesn't like that link - interesting - someone may have embedded some malicious code on it, though - hard to say:

"Reported Attack Page!

This web page at 91.216.73.30 has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack pages try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack pages intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners."

Old 08-01-2010, 03:44 PM
websthes
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ford2go
I've often idly wondered why they sell booze in fifths.
For women.

1/4 gallon = man's size
1/5 gallon = ladies size

Old 08-01-2010, 05:06 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Probably just as a way to make more money, people buy a bottle thinking it's the same size it always was. 100 years later somebody on FTE is asking "WTH happened?"

Have you looked at ice cream in the last few years? It used to be a 1/2 gallon of ice cream. Now it's 1/3 of a gallon or something for the same price.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:49 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

alright, some liquid education for you...
4 gils to 1 pint
2 pints to 1 quart
4 quarts to 1 gallon
since a "fifth" of liquor has less liquid than a quart, than a "fifth" must be 1/5 of a gallon, right? Well, A "fifth" of liquor has 750 ml which equals 25.36 oz, which is roughly 1/5 of a gallon (128 oz).

OK, I have no idea...

Old 08-02-2010, 12:41 AM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
If shorebird's link is right then they've been doing this a while, so the reasons are probably no longer known. ( Similar to why do they say "dead as a doornail "-- no real answer).

Anyway, thanks for all of the fine research!

ps: I also got an attack notice on the carafe link (from Norton). Methinks somebody must have hijacked the page recently, since tseekins had no issues.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:55 AM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Tangent topic side note:
In the Louisville Kentucky area there is a bank called the "5th 3rd Bank of Louisville". It is a legitimate financial institution. I was in Louisville with some students and the name struck me as odd. We talked it over and no one could really come up with a reason for naming a bank as such, so I took the students in to a downtown branch and asked to speak to the manager (much to the horror of the high school kids) and asked her what was the deal with the name.
The story she gave me made as much sense as any scenario we had come up with: In the mid 20th century the 3rd bank of Louisville and the 5th bank of Louisville merged. Thinking that a bank called "The 3rd 5th Bank of Louisville" would have too strong an alcoholic connotation, they reversed the order of the numbers.
And now you know...................the rest of the story!

Old 08-02-2010, 07:51 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
if memory serves correct, back in the old days when the US did not use the metric system or it people did not know how to figure the metric system out (like some of us still can not), to avoid confusion, the fifth was devised so you bought the same size container of "spirits" whether you bought domestic or imported. a fifth is the same size as a 750 ml bottle

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why do they sell fifths of whiskey?