6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Dealer Called Today- Bad EGR Cooler and HG - Please Advise

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 08:11 PM
mnero
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer Called Today- Bad EGR Cooler and HG - Please Advise

I just got a call from the dealer today after dropping my truck off this morning. I had two main issues to report after last 1000 mile trip pulling my 15Klb Toy Hauler to Oregon. I have a stock 05 350 DWR with Tow Boss (430 gears) Lariat.

1. Low Power and Boost on steep grades
2. Smell of coolant and coolant looks discolored/contaminated.

At the start of the trip I had a dealer visit to replace #5 cracked nozzle injector and weak #4 injector. Same time they test drove and replaced sluggish EGR valve. They also reported EOT to ECT delta of 22 degrees (max spec) is 15

Here is what is wrong so far

1. Bad EGR Cooler - will replace. They stated they have a oil cooler kit to replace with it. I informed them of a 2009 Ford Bulletin that states oil cooler to be replaced when a bad EGR cooler is found. I know the clogging issue with the oil cooler leads to the EGR failure at times

2. HG are borderline and they will be replacing

3. EGR valve is agian sticking (they will replace no charge since it was just installed a week ago)

Here is what I want to do

1. Require Ford to replace oil cooler for sure. It seems obvious both need to be done and Ford states it. Anyone have any official Ford statements on this. I'm looking

2. Install ARP Head Studs and use new OEM HG.

3. As soon as I get it home, install a coolant filter (before I clog the new oil cooler)

4. Push the dealer on a specific coolant flush process since the circuit has been contaminated with exhaust/oil. Any recommendations

5. What is the chance of my oil circuit being contaminated with coolant if the HG leaked? Any advice?

6. I've asked them to carefully inspect the HPOP filter for any damage. They shyd away with me asking to install the Stainless mesh filter. They claimed Warranty Issue.

Please, anyone have any other advice while the patient is open and I can work with the dealer. I have the extended warranty so I'm mostly covered (not the ARP studs of course). Truck only has 44K miles and mostly used for weekend around town and towing to go duning (Oregon, NV, Arizona, Idaho)

Thanks,

Mark

Old 07-29-2010, 08:16 PM
Young Gun
Senior User
Is this all covered under Ford warranty?

The new HPOP screen is stainless so they should be installing that anyway when the do The oil cooler.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:19 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Young Gun
The new HPOP screen is stainless so they should be installing that anyway when the do The oil cooler.
Do you have a picture of it?

Old 07-29-2010, 08:44 PM
mnero
5th Wheeling
I have the extended 17 point warranty so yes so far all is covered. The only thing would be the ARP studs - that would be on me at what seems to be ~ $ 425 on Ebay.

I don't know yet if there is a better price.

Are you saying the new HPOP OEM filter is stainless? If so, I assume they would replace only if the original (I assume plastic mesh) is broken. Please advise.

I don't have any photos

Thanks and I'm still welcoming input so I can be armed in the morning when I continue the calls with the dealer.

Thanks everyone!

Old 07-29-2010, 08:52 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mnero
I just got a call from the dealer today after dropping my truck off this morning. I had two main issues to report after last 1000 mile trip pulling my 15Klb Toy Hauler to Oregon. I have a stock 05 350 DWR with Tow Boss (430 gears) Lariat.

1. Low Power and Boost on steep grades
2. Smell of coolant and coolant looks discolored/contaminated.

At the start of the trip I had a dealer visit to replace #5 cracked nozzle injector and weak #4 injector. Same time they test drove and replaced sluggish EGR valve. They also reported EOT to ECT delta of 22 degrees (max spec) is 15

Here is what is wrong so far

1. Bad EGR Cooler - will replace. They stated they have a oil cooler kit to replace with it. I informed them of a 2009 Ford Bulletin that states oil cooler to be replaced when a bad EGR cooler is found. I know the clogging issue with the oil cooler leads to the EGR failure at times

2. HG are borderline and they will be replacing

3. EGR valve is agian sticking (they will replace no charge since it was just installed a week ago)

Here is what I want to do

1. Require Ford to replace oil cooler for sure. It seems obvious both need to be done and Ford states it. Anyone have any official Ford statements on this. I'm looking

2. Install ARP Head Studs and use new OEM HG.

3. As soon as I get it home, install a coolant filter (before I clog the new oil cooler)

4. Push the dealer on a specific coolant flush process since the circuit has been contaminated with exhaust/oil. Any recommendations

5. What is the chance of my oil circuit being contaminated with coolant if the HG leaked? Any advice?

6. I've asked them to carefully inspect the HPOP filter for any damage. They shyd away with me asking to install the Stainless mesh filter. They claimed Warranty Issue.

Please, anyone have any other advice while the patient is open and I can work with the dealer. I have the extended warranty so I'm mostly covered (not the ARP studs of course). Truck only has 44K miles and mostly used for weekend around town and towing to go duning (Oregon, NV, Arizona, Idaho)

Thanks,

Mark
With all that work you ought to do the Liberator external oil cooler and the bulletproof egr cooler. Both have a lifetime warranty!

Old 07-29-2010, 08:59 PM
mnero
5th Wheeling
I agree it would be nice to add the external oil cooler system and bulletproof EGR. Problem is that I have to pay for those. Right now the dealer has to pay to put the crapy OEM stuff in. I realize that it is just a matter of when again, not if. However, adding a coolant filter can extend the oil cooler life (which we all know is the first in the chain of failure that then leads to the EGR cooler being compromised).

So it is really a matter of dollars vs reliability and doing it again. The dealer will void the rest of the two years of my warranty if I install the aftermarket (correct) solutions.

I did hint at this today and the dealers basically shyd away with ...well your warranty then might be void...... blah blah. Ford should just accept others can make a better solution and compensate the difference to us.

Thanks for the input

Old 07-29-2010, 09:39 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
I agree it would be nice to add the external oil cooler system and bulletproof EGR. Problem is that I have to pay for those. Right now the dealer has to pay to put the crapy OEM stuff in. I realize that it is just a matter of when again, not if. However, adding a coolant filter can extend the oil cooler life (which we all know is the first in the chain of failure that then leads to the EGR cooler being compromised).

So it is really a matter of dollars vs reliability and doing it again. The dealer will void the rest of the two years of my warranty if I install the aftermarket (correct) solutions.

I did hint at this today and the dealers basically shyd away with ...well your warranty then might be void...... blah blah. Ford should just accept others can make a better solution and compensate the difference to us.

Thanks for the input
Well it sounds like your gettinng your money's worth out of your warranty!

Old 07-30-2010, 05:59 AM
RSUPERDUTY
Junior User
425 for arp's is pretty good. Cheapest I've seen yet. I would have whole system flushed and from my experience with stealerships they will install arp studs but will not do any deleting of egr stuff.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:32 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,720 Posts
Originally Posted by RSUPERDUTY
425 for arp's is pretty good. Cheapest I've seen yet. I would have whole system flushed and from my experience with stealerships they will install arp studs but will not do any deleting of egr stuff.
How do you know that you are getting the proper ARP studs (hardened steel) when you buy them on Ebay??

I am not judging, I am just asking .........

Old 07-30-2010, 07:15 AM
ehgeeray
Senior User
Originally Posted by bismic
How do you know that you are getting the proper ARP studs (hardened steel) when you buy them on Ebay??

I am not judging, I am just asking .........

I wonder if there is anyone selling fake arp's on ebay? The studs probably wouldn't hold up to the 245Ft.Lbs of torque if they were not hardened steel...

I know one ARP dealer on ebay is legit. "MKM Custom"

Old 07-30-2010, 08:32 AM
mnero
5th Wheeling
Good advice on the ARP studs. I will insure they are the real deal.

I will let you know the outcome of all of this.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:54 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you have to take it in again in the warranty period the head studs could void your warranty.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:24 AM
mnero
5th Wheeling
Dealer said no issue on warranty with new ARP studs. I will have them put it in writing as well.

Good thoughts

Old 07-30-2010, 10:29 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Dealer said no issue on warranty with new ARP studs. I will have them put it in writing as well.

Good thoughts
At that dealer. What if you break down some where else?

Old 07-30-2010, 12:11 PM
ehgeeray
Senior User
Originally Posted by 69cj
At that dealer. What if you break down some where else?
IMO the ARP's are worth the risk...

Quick Reply: Dealer Called Today- Bad EGR Cooler and HG - Please Advise