Projects Share with other members the details about your project truck or SUV. Old or new, gas or diesel, its all welcome here!

My '85 F150 4x2 project/build log.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 86fordtruck
Way to go, Dave. 2000 posts!

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Dave - Happy 2K!

Thanks guys. I wasn't even paying attention. Lol. Maybe I'll throw a big party when I hit 20,000, 200,000, or even 2,000,000.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Galendor
Posting Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Grubbworm
Today I prepped and epoxy primed (2 coats) my tailgate, to protect it from any rust. I also did some of the hardware. I'll give it a day or two to cure and dry before I put it back on. It looks like I will have to do just a little sanding on some spots, but not many. That's what happens when you shoot outside. I tried to protect it some with the tarp, but to no avail.

And here's a couple of the after shots.

I'm out of my black primer now. I'll have to get another gallon to use as sealer on the rest of the truck as I progress with my body work and wet sanding. I've pretty much completed work on the outside of the bed, the fenders, and the hood. As soon as I get more black primer I will do the final wet-sanding before spraying the sealer on. I think I will wait a fair amount of time before I do the paint. I think that will give me some indication on whether or not my work will hold up. Besides, I still have quite a bit of work to do on the cab first.
You went a little crazy with it and painted the tailgate support cables, didn't you Grubb.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would have my self too.
Trav

Old 06-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Galendor
You went a little crazy with it and painted the tailgate support cables, didn't you Grubb.
Originally Posted by Redneckfordf2502002
I would have my self too.
Trav
Actually, there is a worn place on one of the cables where the rust shows through. I did it just to buy some time until I replace it (or them).

Old 06-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't think of that didn't notice you were in rusting part of america. I am in Arizona so no rust on any of our trucks other then the ones that came from back east.
Trav

Old 06-08-2012, 11:59 AM
1968 F100 Ranger
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grubb,

Your truck looks great. And this whole thread is fantastic. Can't wait to see it finished. I'm just starting to de-rust my F-100 and your posts put me on the Epoxy Primer band wagon.

Prob will see you on the road sometime... I'm in Smyrna / Marietta...

Keep up the posts...

Old 06-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 1968 F100 Ranger
Grubb,

Your truck looks great. And this whole thread is fantastic. Can't wait to see it finished. I'm just starting to de-rust my F-100 and your posts put me on the Epoxy Primer band wagon.

Prob will see you on the road sometime... I'm in Smyrna / Marietta...

Keep up the posts...
Thanks, and good luck with yours.
Are you a member of the "Georgia Chapter"? Georgia Chapter - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Where are you located? I used to run around the Marietta/Smyrna are when I was younger. Maybe we could get together for dinner sometime.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:36 AM
zolson
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey man i've been wondering, because i need to do mine, when you did the poly buchings up front on the control arms, did that help the ride out at all?? because mine are so shot i just dont know if its even worth it to change them

Old 06-16-2012, 11:56 AM
zolson
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
one more thing, what is in that for a motor, this thing is turning into quite the sweet little hot rod

Old 06-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by zolson
hey man i've been wondering, because i need to do mine, when you did the poly buchings up front on the control arms, did that help the ride out at all?? because mine are so shot i just dont know if its even worth it to change them
Yes, it helped out tremendously. I just wish that I had done them sooner. Now it rides better than it did when it was new. I also did all of the rest of them too.

Originally Posted by zolson
one more thing, what is in that for a motor, this thing is turning into quite the sweet little hot rod
Actually, I have a small block Chevy in my shed, just waiting to be built, that I once was considering putting in my truck. But, after I got on this forum and did some research, I found that with normal maintenance and care, the 4.9L (300) that I have in their now could get 300,000 to 600,000 miles. So, I figured that I would just keep it until it wore out. As far as the Chevy motor, I will keep it for another little hot rod.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:48 PM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Today, I started on my floor board. I removed the seat;

And started to do some work with a sand flap on my grinder;

I started sanding on the rust and the rest of the floor board too.

I didn't get too far before I had to quit. The grinder flap caught my glove and tried to take the knuckle off of my finger. Luckily I was quick enough that it didn't do too much damage. I've had worse happen before. This is as far as I made it before I had to stop for the day;

I'm not sure about doing anymore tomorrow, maybe in a couple of days when the finger gets a little better.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Grubbworm
Today, I started on my floor board. I removed the seat;

I didn't get too far before I had to quit. The grinder flap caught my glove and tried to take the knuckle off of my finger. Luckily I was quick enough that it didn't do too much damage. I've had worse happen before. This is as far as I made it before I had to stop for the day;

I'm not sure about doing anymore tomorrow, maybe in a couple of days when the finger gets a little better.
Ouch! Gloves are good, but are yours really loose?

I sure love my media blaster!

Old 06-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Ouch! Gloves are good, but are yours really loose?

I sure love my media blaster!
Not really, just a pair of soft leather gloves. I may have to use a different type of leather glove the next time.

Media blaster? I may have to add it to my list of tools to get........eventually.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:59 PM
86fordtruck
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh Snap, Dave!
I hope that finger heals quickly.

Pain. It nature's way of saying, "Don't do that".

Old 06-16-2012, 06:12 PM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 86fordtruck
Oh Snap, Dave!
I hope that finger heals quickly.

Pain. It nature's way of saying, "Don't do that".
Yeah, I'm going to take a couple of my grand daughters swimming tonight. I've got it wrapped up pretty good right now. I just had a shower, and I'll re-dress it tonight when we get back. I'll probably wait until tomorrow night to do it again. I'll take another good look at it then and go from there. I've had worse and doctored it up, so I don't see too much of an issue.

Quick Reply: My '85 F150 4x2 project/build log.