Sponsored by: Moser

Qeustion about lockout hubs

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 06:21 AM
RiverRouge73
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Qeustion about lockout hubs

This may be a dumb question, but I'm new so I'll risk it. I have a 73 F250 4x4, Dana 60s front and rear. I've never opened the front lockout hubs, so I looked at all threads and downloaded Dana's service manual(s). Here's the goal: everything works, but I just want to change the actuator **** (the red plastic is grungy and I bought replacements from Dennis carpenter.
First question: I can't find a service manual for the Dana 60 lockout hub that looks like the "internal type", which is what mine appear to be (visually at least from the outside), I can only find for Dana 44. Anyone know of a difference?
Two, (here's the really dumb one?): Can I just pull the cover piece and replace the red **** without lifting the truck and pulling the wheel? Every pic I've seen shows breakdown and assembly with wheel off, but I can't see how this is important if I don't mess with the actual bearing of the wheel on the spindle.
Three: The Dana manual (or somewhere I've seen) lists certain parts that should be replaced whenever the hub is opened, regardless of mileage. Is this true? This doesn't seem possible, since I can't find any parts for this thing, and I'd prefer to keep it original (i.e. not switch out to Warns).
Four: Are my hubs internal- or external-type? My actuator **** is tall, which looks like the external-type.
Five (last one): Are the bolts and dished washers reusable (question related to my third one)? I heard they're very tough to get out (haven't tried yet), and need replacing once out (and I don't have replacements on hand).
Thanks in advance for help...

Old 07-29-2010, 06:44 AM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RiverRouge73
This may be a dumb question, but I'm new so I'll risk it. I have a 73 F250 4x4, Dana 60s front and rear. I've never opened the front lockout hubs, so I looked at all threads and downloaded Dana's service manual(s). Here's the goal: everything works, but I just want to change the actuator **** (the red plastic is grungy and I bought replacements from Dennis carpenter.
First question: I can't find a service manual for the Dana 60 lockout hub that looks like the "internal type", which is what mine appear to be (visually at least from the outside), I can only find for Dana 44. Anyone know of a difference?
Two, (here's the really dumb one?): Can I just pull the cover piece and replace the red **** without lifting the truck and pulling the wheel? Every pic I've seen shows breakdown and assembly with wheel off, but I can't see how this is important if I don't mess with the actual bearing of the wheel on the spindle.
Three: The Dana manual (or somewhere I've seen) lists certain parts that should be replaced whenever the hub is opened, regardless of mileage. Is this true? This doesn't seem possible, since I can't find any parts for this thing, and I'd prefer to keep it original (i.e. not switch out to Warns).
Four: Are my hubs internal- or external-type? My actuator **** is tall, which looks like the external-type.
Five (last one): Are the bolts and dished washers reusable (question related to my third one)? I heard they're very tough to get out (haven't tried yet), and need replacing once out (and I don't have replacements on hand).
Thanks in advance for help...
Only thing I have for you is question 2.

When Ive changed my stock hubs to warn hubs I allways did it with the tires on the truck. Just remove the screws, and swap away. The stockers can be fun to get off sometimes just because of age. Be patient, make sure the screw/allen head holes are clean before trying to loosen the bolts.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:50 AM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Does your lockout look like the one pictured below? if so it's a D44HD and not a D60, they're often mistaken for a D60 because of the huge 4.5" hubs, they're an external design hub.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:41 PM
RiverRouge73
Freshman User
Thanks for replies so far-
No my hubs don't look like this, which I do recognize as external, so I guess mine must be internal type (on a 60, which it should be, I guess). I'm just a bit concerned that my new plastic actuator is for this type and not the ones on my truck, and I don't want to open it up and find I need a different part. My actuator from Dennis Carpenter does look like this one.
BTW- should I just forget about staying original and go to new ones (i.e. are new superior, and if so, any preference between Warn or MM)? Any suggestions or comments are welcome! Thanks...

Old 07-29-2010, 03:11 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
No my hubs don't look like this, which I do recognize as external, so I guess mine must be internal type (on a 60, which it should be, I guess). I'm just a bit concerned that my new plastic actuator is for this type and not the ones on my truck, and I don't want to open it up and find I need a different part. My actuator from Dennis Carpenter does look like this one.
That's what made me think you had a D44HD and not a D60, the red actuator ***** DC sells are for the D44HD but you are correct your D60 is an internal design hub, the D60 lockout ***** look like the one pictured below....

Old 07-29-2010, 03:38 PM
RiverRouge73
Freshman User
Yep- that's it...
Anyone know if they sell replacement ***** for those? Or any other parts for those?

Old 07-29-2010, 04:00 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Yep- that's it...
Anyone know if they sell replacement ***** for those?
I've seen a few NOS sets on ebay in the past but i'm not aware of any in the aftermarket.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:12 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Yup those are D60, I havent had any luck finding those ***** either! I wish someone would make those buggers!

Old 07-29-2010, 04:34 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Found a NOS set for the D44 but no dice on the D60, the last time i seen a set of NOS ***** for the D60 they came with the chrome outer ring as well and went for $120.

68-77 FORD EARLY BRONCO NOS DANA 44 LOCKING HUB *****: eBay Motors (item 150473055799 end time Aug-04-10 04:18:29 PDT)

Old 07-29-2010, 09:18 PM
RiverRouge73
Freshman User
OK, this has been really helpful, and I thank you all for the knowledge. I'm going to ask for a bit more, if anyone has it....
I've looked at the service manual from Spicer (Dana) on internal and external types, also models 30 and 44. From every exploded view I've seen, every pic, etc., it seems there are only two types of actuator ****, and the main difference is if it goes to an internal type, or external type. In the pic provided of the external type (and the **** I got from Dennis Carpenter) the center bar does not extend to the edges of the **** circumference; whereas it does blend in with the circumference (continuous) on ***** from internal-types. This seems to me that the relevant difference is the difference between the internal type or the external type, not 60 vs. a 44. So...as long as my hubs are internal type, Dana 60, is my actuator **** the same as the **** from an internal-type Dana 44. It sure looks like is.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:41 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
The D44 and D60 ***** share the same cosmetic appearance as you described but physically the D60 **** is roughly 1-1.5" larger in diameter, the third style **** is specific to the D44HD (the one you ordered from DC) and while it shares the same diameter as the D60 **** the two are obviously not interchangeable as the D44HD is an external type hub and the D60 is an internal type hub.