1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ranch Hand Grill Guard installation???

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 08:39 PM
jdc228
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ranch Hand Grill Guard installation???

Anything special I should know before tackling the installation of a Ranch Hand Grill Guard? I bought it used with NO mounting hardware...just the grill guard. I have tow hooks and want to retain them. I see the tabs for the tow hooks. Do I need any special hardware or brackets etc.? Will I reuse the existing OEM bumper bolts? Are they long enough? Any time saving tricks etc.? Help!

2003 F250 CC 4x4

Old 07-29-2010, 05:58 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Bumped to Super Duty, the guys should have an answer for you here.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:41 AM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The OEM bumper bolts are long enough (at least they were for my top gun bumper) Also if you have access to a forklift, you need it to lift the bumper into place. Unless you have 5 guys lol The intal is only about an hour. Does your RH retain the stock fogs?

Old 07-29-2010, 08:38 AM
jdc228
Junior User
Thanks...yes, I'll keep my fog lights. However, there are 3 bolt locations on each side...1 is hidden by a factory plate that needs to be removed? My factory tow hooks will bolt on to the grill guard. I'm just really interested in the 3rd bolt location...what size / type of bolt should I get?

Old 07-29-2010, 10:06 AM
jayft8
Elder User
Originally Posted by i eat hybrids
The OEM bumper bolts are long enough (at least they were for my top gun bumper) Also if you have access to a forklift, you need it to lift the bumper into place. Unless you have 5 guys lol The intal is only about an hour. Does your RH retain the stock fogs?
Hybrid Eater, do you have experience with a Top Gun rear bumper as well or only a front?
I'm looking for a rear replacement with backup lights that will allow me to retain the factory hitch. Top Gun comes well recommended, but I haven't been able to find out yet if I would lose my factory hitch or not?

Old 07-29-2010, 10:18 PM
zmanmike
Junior User
Hello, I installed a Ranch-Hand Grille Guard not too long ago by myself and it was easy. I used a 'come-along' hoist from harbor freight and attached it to a rafter in the garage using a chain to give the proper length. I then removed the two bolts that hold each tow-hook and removed them. The two nuts of the tow-hook bolts will fall out from the back...they are joined together by a piece of sheet metal. The truck's bumper will loosen and will not fall off since it has other brackets behind it attaching it to the frame. The truck's bumper will move up and down slightly. Lift your Ranch-Hand, place the tow-hook on top of the guard's "L" bracket, line up the holes and insert the bolts making sure the nuts are behind it. Make sure everything is aligned and torque your bolts. The entire process took about an hour by doing this my myself.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:38 PM
jc8825
Posting Guru
Are we talking full front replacement or just a grill guard? A grill guard is only 120 pounds or so and will only require a couple of people. A full replacement will be 250+ pounds and require a few more. The grill guard will not interfere with tow hooks at all and on the full front end, they will bolt to the actual unit.

Jayft8 - I had a Top Gun rear on my Chevy and I got an 8" drop which will allow you to retain your factory hitch. Don't get more than 8" if you want to use your hitch.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:04 AM
jayft8
Elder User
Originally Posted by jc8825
Jayft8 - I had a Top Gun rear on my Chevy and I got an 8" drop which will allow you to retain your factory hitch. Don't get more than 8" if you want to use your hitch.
thanks (again) jc for helping me out with my questions on this issue over the last couple weeks - you recommend the TG so convincingly that I want to go with them if I can. (plus to me, even from just looking closely at the pictures on the websites, a superior difference in quality of workmanship is evident in the TG bumpers)
I really gotta have the backup lights and that's a sticking point on what I can get (I can't hardly see at night anymore) - I've got some time today and I'm going to go by my local dealer to see what we can come up with for me to order.
I'll be sure and post a pic for you once I get it installed.

. . . hey wait a minute? you don't work for Top Gun, do you? . . . hah! just kidding

Old 07-30-2010, 11:16 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by jayft8
(plus to me, even from just looking closely at the pictures on the websites, a superior difference in quality of workmanship is evident in the TG bumpers)
Yeah, Top Gun's warning against using the 2" receiver tube to do just about anything you use a 2" receiver for is completely reassuring of the quality of their product.
Originally Posted by Top Gun Bumper's Website
Please Note: All 2” Receiver Tubes that are welded in our Front Bumper Replacements and Bullnose Bumpers ARE NOT designed for Winch applications, come-alongs, etc. of any kind. They are designed for general use purposes only, not for high stress applications that include any heavy pulling. TGI Corporation assumes no responsibility and warranty shall be voided if used in any manner for which it was not designed.
Apparently Ranch Hand is a bit more trusting in their "workmanship", and isn't worried that I might do something crazy like pull somebody out of a ditch with their bumper.
Originally Posted by Ranch Hand's Website
Our standard front ends and Bullnose front ends have a 2” receiver for use with a removable winch cradle.

I got quoted $1450 installed for a Top Gun, no winch, just the receiver tube, and $1050 installed/$950 out the door for a Ranch Hand Legend. That's a decision I really had to ponder for a whileCall me a brand ***** if you want, but I just bought the better known, arguably better built, AND cheaper bumper.

I'm getting this one installed for me because I'm a vagabond moving between 3 places in 2 months, but it's not hard. Use an engine hoist for the install, I had a cheap harbor freight lift I used to move a welder with, and it's held up several grille guards I've done on 150s. It held a 700# welder far enough out to back a trailer under it, ~300# of bumper is nothing for it.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:52 AM
jc8825
Posting Guru
I have had both and can tell you that construction wise the Top Gun is better. I would imagine that the disclaimer is there so that they don't have to replace bumpers by warranty because someone did something stupid. Ranch Hand is a larger company and can better afford replacements if you happen to pull something too heavy.

"Don't kill stupid people, just take all the warning labels off and the problem will fix itself."

Old 07-30-2010, 01:16 PM
jayft8
Elder User
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Yeah, Top Gun's warning against using the 2" receiver tube to do just about anything you use a 2" receiver for is completely reassuring of the quality of their product.
yeah, ok, I hear ya

try not to shoot me too full o' holes there Red Raider

for the record - I'm looking for a rear bumper that will allow me to retain the use of my factory hitch

Old 07-30-2010, 03:19 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Ok, too many people have names starting with 'J' in this thread, and I got confused. I thought 'jayft8' was the OP talking about a front end, and that 'jc8825' and 'jdc228' were the same person. I'm caught back up now, I thought we were still on grille guards, my bad.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:53 PM
jayft8
Elder User
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Ok, too many people have names starting with 'J' in this thread, and I got confused. I thought 'jayft8' was the OP talking about a front end, and that 'jc8825' and 'jdc228' were the same person. I'm caught back up now, I thought we were still on grille guards, my bad.
ding dang - now that you point it out -we are running quite the surplus on j's & 8's aren't we? just hadn't struck me

hm . . . I've always wanted to change my name to Elvis . . .

Old 11-25-2012, 07:48 PM
TBoneJTX
New User
I ordered my ranch hand grill guard online from Built For Trucks and installed pretty easy and it came with the bolts and instructions. Price was good got for under $500.

Last edited by TBoneJTX; 11-25-2012 at 07:54 PM. Reason: spelling