Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Junior User

tpcgregsheh is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tachometer Not Working

I have a 1994 f-250 extended cab long bed 2wd 460 with 215,000 miles. the tachometer does not work it just stays at 0 rpm, it did not work when i bought it last year either. any ideas on what could be the problem?
Old 07-28-2010, 06:42 PM
The Brown Mod

Encho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant future
The VSS might be umplugged or damaged, or the rear differential was rebuilt and the didn't place the ring that works with the VSS. For the VSS, search around your rear diff. for anything that looks like a sensor. Your tach could also be gone, but i would check the two other options first.
My Write-ups: Ford Steering Box Rebuild / Ford Front End Rebuild and auto hubs replacement / Ford Rear Drum Brakes / Ford E4OD Cooler & Shift Kit mods, drain-refill procedures "He who uses no jack stands is destined to become a jack stand himself"
Old 07-28-2010, 07:21 PM
Junior User

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encho View Post
The VSS might be umplugged or damaged, or the rear differential was rebuilt and the didn't place the ring that works with the VSS. For the VSS, search around your rear diff. for anything that looks like a sensor. Your tach could also be gone, but i would check the two other options first.
Thank you for your input. I crawled under the truck and located the sensor you were talking about. The wiring was still attached and I followed the wires for as long as I could and there did not appear to be any problems. My guess should be that the sensor has been damaged?
Old 07-28-2010, 07:24 PM
Posting Guru

Hitokori is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
uhm the tach not speedo

check the reluctor ring and the magnetic pickup in the distributor then check the wires

Whats the diff between your wife and your job? After 10 years your job still sucks
Old 07-28-2010, 07:26 PM
Post Fiend

danr1 has a great reputation on FTE.danr1 has a great reputation on FTE.danr1 has a great reputation on FTE.danr1 has a great reputation on FTE.
VSS? You thinking speedo?

For the tach check the white-pink circuit for continuity between the ignition suppression resistor and the tach end connector, as well as the connections at each end for corrosion, if that all tests/looks good you probably just gotta dead tach.

Might be a fault in the TFI module but you should be throwing an error code for IDM failure if that was the case, 212 for example.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:13 PM
Junior User

I think I may have found the problem. I checked under the hood and the pink and white wires looks good. But I found a black wire that is completely broken, I had never noticed this before (although I did not know where to look). I took some pictures of the problem. Could this be the reason my tach is not functioning??

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/e...h.jpg&newest=1

tach2.jpg picture by tpcgreg - Photobucket
Old 07-28-2010, 08:16 PM
The Brown Mod

Encho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant future
Oh sorry, i got confused, follow the other guy's advice, i was in fact thinking about the speedometer when i wrote my answer...
My Write-ups: Ford Steering Box Rebuild / Ford Front End Rebuild and auto hubs replacement / Ford Rear Drum Brakes / Ford E4OD Cooler & Shift Kit mods, drain-refill procedures "He who uses no jack stands is destined to become a jack stand himself"
Old 07-28-2010, 08:20 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encho View Post
Oh sorry, i got confused, follow the other guy's advice, i was in fact thinking about the speedometer when i wrote my answer...
No problem
Old 07-28-2010, 08:25 PM
Post Fiend

danr1 has a great reputation on FTE.danr1 has a great reputation on FTE.danr1 has a great reputation on FTE.danr1 has a great reputation on FTE.
That's not a wire its a vacuum line, plug it back in.

Next to the red one on the vac booster tank.

No, no effect on the tach.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danr1 View Post
That's not a wire its a vacuum line, plug it back in.

Next to the red one on the vac booster tank.

No, no effect on the tach.

Can't, it's broken. It won't plug back in.

Does anyone have an idea on how much a professional would charge to fix the tach? Just a general estimate.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:32 PM
Post Fiend

Oh didn't see your second picture, you can pull the broken piece out of the rubber and reinsert the line back into it. The barbed end will be lost but it will stay in place ok by itself. If you're not to happy with it like that you can apply a little silicone on the end of the line and then push it in place. Once the silicone sets up over night, that will hold it.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:37 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danr1 View Post
Oh didn't see your second picture, you can pull the broken piece out of the rubber and reinsert the line back into it. The barbed end will be lost but it will stay in place ok by itself. If you're not to happy with it like that you can apply a little silicone on the end of the line and then push it in place. Once the silicone sets up over night, that will hold it.
oh ok, that was helpful. Thank you
Old 07-28-2010, 08:37 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
05, 1986, 1997, 54, bronco, f150, f250, ford, impala, problem, quit, tach, tachometer, v8, working