Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

Pull F6 engine with an 8N???

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Jalopy48
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pull F6 engine with an 8N???

Hi,

Newbie here. I have two trucks(48-F6 & 63-M37) in need of engine work. Neither vehicle fits in my garage so I need to do the engine pull in my yard. Yesterday I bought a shop crane from HF. It's a 2-ton I got for $120. A great deal, but when I got it home I realized that I have an 8n sitting in the garage and I have a boom for the 3-point. My question is, is it realistic to think I can pull an engine with the boom & 8n tractor or am I missing something(like common sense?). I've never pulled an engine before and not sure if I would just make a mess of it with the tractor.

On the M37<dodge> the engine gets lifted a few inches and then is pulled out the front along with the radiator etc. Could this been done on my F6? It would save having to remove the hood and the radiator has to come out anyhow. What would you guys think of pulling the ford out the front? Thanks.

I listed this on the "1948-1960 F1 & larger forum and now I'm thinking I should be here. Where does a 48 F6 belong???
</dodge>

Old 07-28-2010, 06:16 PM
awhtx
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As a Ford tractor owner (4 of them) I would say the 8N will not work because when pulling an engine you often need to raise or lower the engine 1/2" to get a bolt out or to clear some obstacle. The 3 Point Hitch on a tractor does not have the "fine tuning" capabilities to raise or lower 1/2". An engine Cherry Picker is much more able to do the job precisely.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:06 AM
Jalopy48
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought about your point on moving the boom on the tractor a half inch and I think I could do it if I was lowering the engine in, but your right raising the engine would be more jerky. You also made me realize that I would be doing the raising from the controls on the tractor, a few feet from the engine without a clear view of what is going on or the ability to push something out of the way of the engine or even push or turn the engine a bit to clear something. Do you think putting a engine hoist on casters with air filled tires would work. I know the casters that come with the hoist are too small and will constantly get stuck in the soft dirt or my gravel driveway. Any thought of pulling the engine from the front? That's the way the military shop manual tells me to remove my that engine. I'm not trying to rewrite the book on engine removal, I was just trying to keep the weight of the engine low so that I keep good control of it. With my F6, if I pull it out the top, it will be at or above my head and with the hoist not on concrete, I don't want to lose control and dump it over. Since the truck won't fit in the garage and I can't block the driveway for weeks, I've got to put it in the grass about 60 feet from the garage door. It seemed so simple when I started this. Hey, thanks for your input. It really helps to think it though, it saves a lot of swearing and broken stuff.

Larry

Old 07-29-2010, 04:08 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you can get you tractor boom high enough to put a come-a-long between it and the engine that might work.i alway do that using a loader