1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

K&N Air Fliter - Useless Purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 09:05 AM
BumpDraft2007
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N Air Fliter - Useless Purchase?

So far, yes. I don't see any more power, no better fuel mileage, and all it did was make the truck louder. Plus, the cleaning and recharging is PITA.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:49 AM
dirtmonkey11
Senior User
I agree, people have been debating this for years, I personally have a True Flow intake kit on my 2000 expedition. I was going to buy a different brand until I saw this filter, I was amazed. The things I like about it is it filters way way better without loosing flow, the filter itself is foam, still have to clean it like the K&N but not as often. There was a video on their website aswell as other videos of people testing the filter, it out filtered all other filters by a long shot. The only problem is the compay now is out of business, but the good thing about that the intake will be much cheaper, I got mine almost half of the original price. You can also purchase the filter by itself if you don't want the intake kit. When I installed it on my truck I noticed a big change iin throttle response and a tiny improvement on gas mileage. There are many differnt filters and kits claiming that theirs is the best, I personally think this kit and or filter is very well built and the instructions are easy to read. One last thing good about this kit is that it retains the factory air box. Some other kits remove the air box and have the filter stay open, you loose horespower becuase your sucking in the hot underhood air. All in all I think if you buy eithr the kit ir just the filter its a good choice.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:33 PM
go_phx
Freshman User
True...if you ask 100 people about reusable air filters and air intakes you will get 200 different answers. Do what makes you happy. I personally have the TrueFlow intake but use a K&N filter just because I like them better than foam. I only clean my K&N every 15k miles and that's usually sooner than it really needs it. I make sure to clean in the summer to speed the drying time (about 20 minutes here on Phoenix) before re-oiling. Using K&N has always been an economic decision for me - not a performance decision. I don't usually buy into the hype. $45 for a filter that will last me for the life of the car vs. ~$10 for a paper filter just makes sense. A recharge kit lasts me at least five recharges adds another $20 to the equation every 5 years (I have three cars running K&N filters).

These views are strictly my own. Please do not consider them an endorsement for the above mentioned product. Please do what makes you happy and let me do the same.... in peace.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Big Greenie
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doesn't seem like very sound economic reasoning to use a filter that allows substantially more dirt into the engine when "clean" and restricts airflow more than a stock filter when dirty. In the first you are causing undue wear on the engine, the second hurting performance and economy.

Do what you will in peace...but it sure doesn't make much sense to me.

I would also like to see an independant test that shows this true flow filter doing a much better job of filtering than a stock paper version while improving airflow.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:17 PM
go_phx
Freshman User
See....never fails..... Some folks just can't leave well enough alone and let others have an opinion opposite theirs.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:50 PM
fiveohpoepoe
Senior User
Ive got one in my 99 and our 04. Ive always used them and its a personal preference. Benefits arent great, but I honestly do not go into deep testing. I check our mileage pretty much every tank and its in the range of what is was before. Of course depending on the driving[hwy/city] and weight of the right foot.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Big Greenie
Temporarily Deactivated
Originally Posted by go_phx
See....never fails..... Some folks just can't leave well enough alone and let others have an opinion opposite theirs.
It isn't an opinion... These are cold, hard, scientific facts, verified through rigorous independant tests.

The truely humorous part is seeing people try to justify and support poor decisions by trying to turn the debate into something it isn't.

You were sucked in by a world class marketing campaign. You failed to look into the science behind it, and now you try to move the focus to me because I challenged your choice.

You can have a different opinion, but you need to accpet that there is right and wrong in the world, not just the grey haze you want to remain lost in. Where is the problem? Oh...because your opinion is based on marketing, I called you on it, and the ego must be defended at all costs. Good luck with that.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:48 AM
dirtmonkey11
Senior User
I would also like to see an independant test that shows this true flow filter doing a much better job of filtering than a stock paper version while improving airflow.[/quote]

There was a test video on trueflows website but their webiste is down now because they went out of business, here is the link for the video that was on their website.

YouTube - Automotive Air Filter Test

Old 12-05-2009, 10:42 AM
jdecker
Senior User
There is no way an oiled gauze filter will pass as much dirt as in that video! I have done track racing for many years using an oiled K&N with a foam cover. The foam filter definitely allows more dirt through than the K&N, we typically change the foam every round.
I personally use a Purolator pure one filter on my truck, a 300hp engine can pull more than air through it. But for the guys worried about there K&N filter put a foam cover or Outerwear cover on it and I'd venture to say in a daily driver it would probably go a year or more between cleanings.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:21 PM
1whoseeks
Junior User
regarding you tube video above

what was the medium used to catch the dirt the filters missed??
maybe we need to use that instead.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Big Greenie
Temporarily Deactivated
Originally Posted by 1whoseeks
what was the medium used to catch the dirt the filters missed??
maybe we need to use that instead.
Paper filters do the best job.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:58 PM
ExpySport
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I tried the replacement K&N cone filter in my Expedition and can't say I really noticed any differences, other than I could hear the air being sucked in when I stepped on it. Otherwise, no noted difference over a stock filter.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:57 PM
don77
Senior User
k&n for a turbo diesel = dusted turbo

Old 07-29-2010, 08:59 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by go_phx

Yup....and there are some people that love to just sit back and watch the crap fly.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Big Greenie
Temporarily Deactivated
Originally Posted by don77
k&n for a turbo diesel = dusted turbo
I ran one on my 99 F350 with the 7.3 for over 250k miles and never hurt the turbo. The reason the K&N was on there in the first place was that Ford shipped out a bunch of filters without the wire mesh to support the paper element back in 1999. My truck was out delivering a load when it sucked the filter through the turbo. That truck sucked so much air that I was replacing paper filters every 10k miles. I fitted the K&N, cleaned it every 10k miles and never had to buy another filter. I still do not like them, but in this case it worked for me.

Quick Reply: K&N Air Fliter - Useless Purchase?