Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Transfer Case - Electric Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 10:43 AM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMTR
OK. Niva t-case is out. Maybe I should get a whole Niva. I've always wanted one.
the best version was with Pegeot diesel, like in ford scorpio. not too fast, but good low end torq, better for mud and sand.

really, niva is not for daily driving. too ascetic comfort. runs roughtly. Noisy. It is a car for deep snow, and off-road advantures.

BTW, Niva cars easily pass roll over crash test, better other SUV, becouse the same sheet methal thikness and lower weight.

IMHO: Niva chassis is very good, but stock 4-cyl engine is good for cars, not off road vehicles, interiout is too ascetic. So I do not drive Niva....

Old 07-30-2010, 10:49 AM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gold crown hen's teeth

NEW Aero transfer case
NEW Ford Aerostar Transfer Case NOS 92 93 94 95 96 97

Old 07-30-2010, 10:50 AM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
it is a good price!

Old 07-30-2010, 01:47 PM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
A stock Traction-Lock rear differential does not affect cornering very much, unless you really goose it while turning. Remember that all clutch-based LSDs use the force of the side load between the spider gears and the side gears to engage the clutch. So the harder you accelerate, the more the clutch grabs. As a standard measure, you are supposed to use the friction modifier with the gear lube in LSDs, so it delays lock-up a little more. But these LSDs depend on SOME resistance to work, so they use a pre-load spring to apply some pressure on the clutches. In Ford's, that equates to about 40 lbs-ft or torque to help move the car if one tire sits on a completely slick surface.

There are variations on the Torsen that also use a pre-load spring to prevent being completely stuck wen just one tire is stuck. If you look at a Torsen design, it's just an open diff with specially cut gears that prevent the two sides from easily turning independently. The angles on the gear teeth determine how much torque difference is required to force the two sides to differentiate, and this will have an effect on cornering. The greater the difference you make it, the more traction difference it will take to force the loose side to spin freely, like an open diff. On the other hand, if you regularly drive in icy weather, this setup will cause more skidding around turns, so you would prefer a looser gearing, which will not work as well if you got one tire stuck in something slick. So a good compromise is a looser gear set with a pre-load clutch, just like a standard LSD.

The locker type diffs don't use clutches, but spring loaded gears that lock the two side together but pop apart when the motion difference between the two sides become too great and the built up tension is enough to overcome the springs. The disengagement pressure is controlled by the springs, and have the same compromise as the Torsen. Too tight, and you will skid more around turns, too loose, and it is less effective going straight through slick surfaces. In general, lockers are designed toward the tighter end of things, so their releases are rather abrupt, and will affect handling. I've seen them used on Mustangs before, and they're a handful on road courses; they're really for drag racers who still want to drive a little on the streets, where turns are necessary.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:49 PM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by 96_4wdr
Gold crown hen's teeth

NEW Aero transfer case
NEW Ford Aerostar Transfer Case NOS 92 93 94 95 96 97
That's the one that shows up on Ebay. 92 and later, no speedometer hole. I wish I could have used it...

I forgot to mention that if you want to do low-gear, high torque applications with the Aerostar, you should reinforce the mostly air filled bushings of the transmission cross member.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:22 PM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
yeah, ex.my '89 van w/o VSS in rear axe, so this t-case needs some modifing. anyway, you can use no t-case electronics with overide button.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:12 AM
DMTR
Junior User
So I checked my new TC today. Resistance 3.8 Ohm, it draws 4.5 Amps so the coil is OK. I put a wisegrip on the rear output, inserted the front DS, gave some juice to the coil, stepped on top of the TC and tried to turn the front shaft with a pipe wrench. Did not move. I'll put this thing in tomorrow.

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - DMTR's Album: T-Case swap - Picture

Old 07-31-2010, 12:08 PM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Great test. I hope you didn't hurt the splines when you grabbed it with the vice-grips.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:04 PM
DMTR
Junior User
I was a bit concerned too so first I wrapped the shaft in a piece of rag but the wisegrip slipped off. Then I put the WG on the bare shaft as tight as possible figuring that as long as it won't move it'll be OK.
Yep, it did not leave any marks.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:53 AM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend

This is Niva powertraine. GM use Opel EcoTec engine all over the world.

Prev. gen. Niva t-case. Fully manually controlled.

But its installation requires accurate lining in with tranny.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:32 AM
DMTR
Junior User
That powertrain is a real beauty! Great pics Pablo.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
yeah, powertrain made of German engine and Japanese tranny is good. russian chassis and suspention is good, but Russians cant make good body and trim

Old 08-19-2010, 07:12 PM
DMTR
Junior User
So finaly I did the TC swap yesterday.
I was waaay too lazy to follow the instructions from the service manual. I just dropped the rear DS, disconnected the strud and removed the 5 bolts that hold the TC to the tranny extension house. Thanks for my ultra-modern, futuristic TC-jack it was a breeze to install the TC back on.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...ictureid=43952
Of course I did the jack-jump test and ....
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...ictureid=43953

Old 08-20-2010, 04:43 AM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
I got Merc G-klasse t-case switch (lock off, auto, manual on) and put this overide switch in dash. I could disable t-case clutch, engage (before I get in stuck) ore use auto.

you can use any 3-pos. swithc

Old 08-20-2010, 10:35 AM
DMTR
Junior User
How did you hook up that switch?
I guess in the "OFF" position it cuts power to the control module, in "AUTO" it does nothing and in "ON" position it supplies power directly to the clutch.
So what about the "ON" position. Doesn't it make the control module go banana? I mean the switch puts 12V on the CM's output. I'd think that would generate some fault codes doesn't it? Or does the switch cut the power to the CM at the same time?
Did you use any diodes or relays for the setup?

Quick Reply: Transfer Case - Electric Clutch