WMO, WVO,diesel mixable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 03:48 PM
erbilabuc
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you are putting waste motor oil in your tank? I thought this was a big no no for anything that will be on the road.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:28 PM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
I don't know that there's a specific law against it, tho there may be, I have yet to find one. As far as emissions go; my feeling is that a little dirtier exhaust is probably less total environmental damage than refining more fuel and disposing of more oil.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:24 PM
erbilabuc
Junior User
No I meant I thought it was bad for motor because of the impurities.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:17 PM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Ahhh. Well there's a lot of info both ways. I've read posts from guys who micro filter and jump through hoops, mix with diesel then have a catastrophic failure. Others pour it through a screen to get out any rocks and engine parts, run it pure, and have tens of thousands of miles. I haven't driven on my mix yet, busy with other stuff. I restarted it just a minute ago and it starts at least as well if not a bit quicker and more smoothly. That means nothing for ill effects later, but it burns great and no smoke. I think the biggest issues are abnormal contaminants like other fluids that make their way into the waste. My oil is oil I have removed from cars/trucks so I know there's nothing else dumped in there. I'm filtering to 1 micron which 'should' be safe as far as solid 'junk' goes. There's still sub-micron wear metals and the like. There's also still the matter of carbon in the oil which there's much debate over, but it is reasonable to think it may cause some pump & injector wear also. Carbon is .6 micron so once I'm sure I like the burn on this stuff I'll be getting a sub-micron filter, possibly a by-pass type filter. With that I'll be pretty confident. I will have to find a source for more oil so that'll be the next challenge; to get un-contaminated stuff somewhere.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:41 PM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
I've been adding waste oil as I use up my mix and still good. I'm probably at about 90% oil and it runs fine so far. I don't have a dyno, but making some pulls up a hill near my house with oil and diesel back to back yields the same power. It runs quieter and smoother on oil than diesel. Once the engine warms it doesn't smoke much, but cold it will smoke if I get on it hard on oil. If I drive lightly around town for a while it'll smoke for a bit when I hit it hard, but it does that on diesel too, tho maybe not quite as much. I try to shut down on #2 just because, but have forgotten a few times and it starts right up on the oil. So far so good!

Old 09-13-2010, 10:10 AM
e-3507.3
New User
If you are not paying a road tax on your fuel then its like running "off road diesel" you, me, anyone that is running alternitive fuel can be fined. 88 E-350 when you say you are using waste oil are you referring to used engine oil or restaurant oil? I am using wvo used restaurant oil in my rig. I would think that my oil is thicker then your engine oil would be if thats what you are using, and that would make mine harder to use. I just plugged my fuel filter after 4500 miles of running wvo. Washed it out with gasoline and now I am on the road again, same filter.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:20 AM
kirkharrod
Elder User
Originally Posted by e-3507.3
If you are not paying a road tax on your fuel then its like running "off road diesel" you, me, anyone that is running alternitive fuel can be fined. 88 E-350 when you say you are using waste oil are you referring to used engine oil or restaurant oil? I am using wvo used restaurant oil in my rig. I would think that my oil is thicker then your engine oil would be if thats what you are using, and that would make mine harder to use. I just plugged my fuel filter after 4500 miles of running wvo. Washed it out with gasoline and now I am on the road again, same filter.
Not exactly true. Some states exempt alternative fuel from road taxes.

Are you dewatering and filtering your WVO?

Old 09-13-2010, 10:36 AM
e-3507.3
New User
Kirkharod thanks for the correction on the different states have different rules. No I don't do anything to get water out of the wvo. I just run it though filter material that I buy at an As Is Store. I put chicken wire over a barrel to support the material, then stretch the material over the chicken wire. I pour the wvo though this and thats all I do.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:42 AM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
I'm running waste motor oil.
As for the tax thing; hard to say, but I can't find a specific law against it. It's outwardly illegal to run off road fuel on the road because it hasn't paid road tax. If the law said you can't run any untaxed fuel then it'd be illegal, but I think it reads that you can't use "off-road fuel" specifically. The other potentially grey area would be emissions laws. There again I believe the law to be that you can't purchase fuels not in compliance with emissions standards for on road use, but don't say you can't run home-made fuels.
In any case, testing of personal vehicles never happens and if it did I would be found to have very dirty fuel, but no off-road dyed fuel. The day they decide to make and enforce any laws precluding our fuels I'll stop doing it. Yea right! I'll just make a sneaky system and keep on going.
I'm delightfully surprised to see your rig is still running ok on such simple filtration of wvo, so many horror stories.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:00 PM
e-3507.3
New User
If you have a "off road diesel" thing in your state then running any kind of fuel that is not taxed may be illegal. I think the only reason off road diesel is that, is because its not taxed. I, like you don't give a hoot about what the rules may be about using alternative fuel. I may have to try waste motor oil "wmo". How does it smell? It is a simple filtration system isn't it. I am trying to keep things simply and cheap.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:08 PM
kirkharrod
Elder User
I personally would not use WMO because I have gotten an oil analysis report from Blackstone Labs and there are LOTS of metals in used motor oil. It can't be good to push metal through your injectors, especially if you are not filtering your oil to 3 microns like I am.

Also, water in the oil causes cavitation. You should check out some of the other WVO forums for much more and better information regarding using WVO and WMO for fuel.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:05 PM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
I expected lots of smoke and a nasty smell, but no, they're both very similar to diesel. I filter it through a large 1 micron bag filter. The ones I'm using are fairly expensive, but scored a great deal on Ebay at $5 ea. shipped. My only dislike of the oil is that the motor runs smoother and quieter, tho nice at times, I dig the nasty rattle. I have no heater and no problems, but when it gets cold out I don't know what'll happen.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:26 PM
e-3507.3
New User
So 88 E-350, you start and stop your rig on diesel and switch to the oil tank after the engine warms up? Nice to know there isn't any nasty smell with wmo. If you want, you can go to mypowerblock.com and type in the search box "waste oil" this will take you to my build. It'll show my van and the "hotbox" I built to heat the wvo. Just a suggestion.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:41 AM
GetSmoke
Junior User
Hey Kirk,
Are you heating your WVO in tank, in line, in filter, etc?
I've been looking at some inline systems but it looks like it would restrict flow.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:37 AM
kirkharrod
Elder User
Originally Posted by GetSmoke
Hey Kirk,
Are you heating your WVO in tank, in line, in filter, etc?
I've been looking at some inline systems but it looks like it would restrict flow.
Coolant heated tank and heated filter. No line heaters. I do have a flat plate heat exchanger.

Quick Reply: WMO, WVO,diesel mixable?