Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Senior User

barry1me is starting off with a positive reputation.
5.4L 3V spark plug change.....success!!

I have been putting off changing my plugs in my 05 F250 for the last few months as I feared the dreaded job of changing the plugs. As my truck had 117K mils on the original plugs, and the truck was missing and throwing CELs I had enough. Took me 3 hours, read the TSB and followed it pretty close. I didnt use Motorcraft TB cleaner, I used some stuff at Advanced auto. I replaced with MC 507s as well. Best of all.....I didnt break one plug removing!! I think I just got lucky, but I did do about 3 tanks of fuel system cleaner before the plug change. Overall Im pleased as can be, truck runs night and day better. Thanks for all of the tips and info FTE
Old 07-28-2010, 07:16 AM

redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.
Good job.

2007 F-250 Super Cab Short Bed 4x4 XLT Sport Package 5.4L 3.73LS Tow Command

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 07-29-2010, 07:57 AM
Posting Guru

Downriver Thunder is starting off with a positive reputation.
Glad you had such luck. My work truck has been at the mechanic since Monday, supposed to get it back today. I was having the plugs changed and have the same mileage but he snapped off 4 of the plugs and none of the removal kits would work so he's had one hell of a time getting them out. I'm glad I didn't have to do it. The boss' truck, 08 Lincoln LT has the same motor. He dropped it off at the Lincoln dealer to have it done and he got ripped for over $1000, just for plugs and filters.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:15 PM
New User

snipe609 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hi I'm about to try and change the plugs in my 05 f250 any tips? I heard all kinds of story's about broken plugs! thanks
Old 01-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Elder User

CraigOutdoors is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Congrats on a job well done. I love it when a plan comes together.

'03 F250 Reg Cab LB Fx4 v10
Old 01-09-2011, 06:35 AM
Posting Guru

scraprat is a splendid one to beholdscraprat is a splendid one to beholdscraprat is a splendid one to beholdscraprat is a splendid one to beholdscraprat is a splendid one to beholdscraprat is a splendid one to beholdscraprat is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe609 View Post
Hi I'm about to try and change the plugs in my 05 f250 any tips? I heard all kinds of story's about broken plugs! thanks
Clean the plug well good, soak them in some penetrating fluid(JB Blaster or similar) take your time, Torque to proper specs. Then enjoy a cold beverage on a job well done.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:49 AM
Post Fiend

gearloose1 has a good reputation on FTE.gearloose1 has a good reputation on FTE.gearloose1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Do the 5.4 spark plug problem happen with the 2V engine on the E vans?
Old 01-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Postmaster

Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearloose1 View Post
Do the 5.4 spark plug problem happen with the 2V engine on the E vans?
no..

different plug design completly..

make sure you torque the new plugs in thou, that step is VITAL..

ps use Motorcraft OEM plugs aswell..

"list of previous owned Fords much to long to list here.."
Old 01-09-2011, 05:01 PM
New User

bangin nails is starting off with a positive reputation.
run afew tanks of seafoam then when you go to take them out warm up truck,suck half can of seafoam thru a vacumme line shut off and let sit for 30 min. start up and take her for a beat run to decarbon motor mine came out great knock on wood but i was scared to death listening to those plugs screech on the way out
Old 01-09-2011, 06:21 PM
Senior User

BIGBEAR6 is starting off with a positive reputation.
It's a good feeling of acomplishment when you do things yourself,Good job!!!
Old 02-27-2011, 09:09 PM
New User

defiant-one is starting off with a positive reputation.
F-250 5.4L 3v Spark Plug Change

Another success story. The dealer wanted over $400 to change the plugs. I decided this was too much. If all the horror stories are true then either I'm real lucky, or the mechanics are not following the TSB on this.

My basic steps:
1. Cold engine
2. Removed coils
3. Compressed air to clean the holes where the spark plugs are
4. Used Seafoam Deep Creep (TSB calls for Motorcraft Tune-up cleaner)
5. Backed the plugs up 1/8 - 1/4 turn
6. Waited 2+ hours
7. Tightened the plugs back 1/8 turn
8. Removed plugs all came out without issues

My truck does have 165K miles on it, so these were not the original. I've only had the truck since 155K, so while it is possible they were all changed the day before I got the truck I doubt it. They were probably changed near 100K. One interesting thing is that the two back plugs (4,8) were motorcraft, and the 6 front plugs were Autolite. Also, cylinder 1's plug was not even finger tight (so good that I was changing them).

Not for sure if it was the loose plug, or a combination of items, but the change seems to have cured a mis-fire when climbing a hill near 50MPH.

The plugs did screech when being removed, except the one that was loose.

I used the Motorcraft nickel anti-seize as indicated in the TSB and torqued the new plugs (507s), to 25 ft/lbs. Too bad I couldn't find the anti-seize in a container smaller than 8 oz, since you only use a small amount on the ground shield of the motorcraft 507 plugs.

I did have the spark plug socket with extension, total 6", a swivel, and several other extensions.

Your experience may be different, and from what I see many people have had worse luck. I believe the factors that contributed to my success were:
1. Reading all of the post I could find (thank you other members), and following the TSB (thank you Ford)
2. Being very patient, and allowing the penetrating lubricant to do it's job

This post is not a suggestion that everyone change their plugs themselves, just an account of a successful change.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:28 AM
Postmaster

BigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to behold
I think the horror stories are true, but often repeated to the point of becoming legendary. Most of the people I hear of having changed their plugs have no issues.

2000 F250 V10 5-SPD 4X4 Crew w/ 5-Star SCT X3
1949 F1 - (WORK IN PROGRESS THREAD)

Old 02-28-2011, 01:28 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
3v, 54l, f150, fi, ford, plug, plugs, problems, removal, sohc, spark, tips, truck, update, v8