Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock stereo location - aftermarket deck?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 10:46 PM
jrodimus
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock stereo location - aftermarket deck?

So whats the deal here. I know I have seen pictures of other guys installs, speakers, amps, subs, decks etc. What did you do to mount your deck? My regular din Alpine wont fit the factory heater/stereo bezel, and is too small to fit the dash where the factory deck was originally. Is there a special kit I need to look for or am I not seeing the obvious here. I dont want to modify the bezel to "make it work" cause that sux....

Old 07-27-2010, 10:48 PM
Hitokori
Posting Guru
what year is ur truck? and they sell install kits

Old 07-27-2010, 10:52 PM
CowboyBoots
Senior User
I just installed a JVC in my 1990 F150. The stereo didn't have brackets I could mount to the truck and it wouldn't fit in the heater/stereo cover, so I 'broke-boy'd' it (a term a friend of mine came up with when I fix things using every day objects without purchasing anything). I bent the slip cover on the stereo so it would fit inside the heater/stereo cover, then, while it was in position, bent it back into shape, then slid the stereo inside. Snug as bug, as they say. It'd be really easy to steal, but I keep the faceplate inside when I'm not in the truck.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:53 PM
Hitokori
Posting Guru
Old 07-27-2010, 11:03 PM
jrodimus
Senior User
Originally Posted by Hitokori
what year is ur truck? and they sell install kits
Its a 1990

Originally Posted by CowboyBoots
I just installed a JVC in my 1990 F150. The stereo didn't have brackets I could mount to the truck and it wouldn't fit in the heater/stereo cover, so I 'broke-boy'd' it (a term a friend of mine came up with when I fix things using every day objects without purchasing anything). I bent the slip cover on the stereo so it would fit inside the heater/stereo cover, then, while it was in position, bent it back into shape, then slid the stereo inside. Snug as bug, as they say. It'd be really easy to steal, but I keep the faceplate inside when I'm not in the truck.
I thought about that but dont really like the weight of the deck hanging on the bezel.

Holy mounting kits batman! Howd ya do yours. I like.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Hitokori
Posting Guru
i like it pretty good.... not so much the pioneer head unit but the mounting is good... u get like a million brackets but u only use like 3 pieces

u use the one in the back and cut almost every thing off it except the 4 tabs on the side.. and u cut the things in the middle out to

then u slide the metal sheathing thing that came with ur new head unit into the front of the adapter kit then shuve ur radio in

and take the 2 rectangle pieces next to the third bracket and those span across the 2 tabs on each side then just run hook up the wires screw it to the dash and put ur bezel trim around it

lol i probably lost u but it comes with instructions and it mounts solid mine doesnt move

Old 07-27-2010, 11:14 PM
jrodimus
Senior User
i like it pretty good.... not so much the pioneer head unit but the mounting is good... u get like a million brackets but u only use like 3 pieces

u use the one in the back and cut almost every thing off it except the 4 tabs on the side.. and u cut the things in the middle out to

then u slide the metal sheathing thing that came with ur new head unit into the front of the adapter kit then shuve ur radio in

and take the 2 rectangle pieces next to the third bracket and those span across the 2 tabs on each side then just run hook up the wires screw it to the dash and put ur bezel trim around it

lol i probably lost u but it comes with instructions and it mounts solid mine doesnt move
Whered ya get zee kit. Sounds like a simple enough install

Wiring should be no problem, the ol guess n check method always works for me.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:17 PM
Hitokori
Posting Guru
u can buy the kit at wal mart.. like $14 comes with wiring adapter

Old 07-27-2010, 11:21 PM
jrodimus
Senior User
u can buy the kit at wal mart.. like $14 comes with wiring adapter
ughhhhh.....Walmart. I hates Walmart. But I hate not having tunes even more. Thanks for the fassssst help mang! I will pick up the kit tomorrow and throw up a pic of the finished install...
Door speaker sizeÉ friggen question mark not werking right...

Do you know the door speaker size of the top of your headÉ......grrrrrr...

Stoopid french multi lingual, canadian, keyborard garbage......

????????????????????????????????????????? Fixed now!

Last edited by jrodimus; 07-27-2010 at 11:23 PM. Reason: multilingual keyboard crapola
Old 07-27-2010, 11:23 PM
Hitokori
Posting Guru
6.5" im pretty sure

im just using 6x9's i put in the lower part of the door

almost 100% the upper ones are 6.5" round ones

Old 07-27-2010, 11:27 PM
jrodimus
Senior User
6.5" im pretty sure

im just using 6x9's i put in the lower part of the door

almost 100% the upper ones are 6.5" round ones

Thanks! I think I have some 6.5's in a box of junk somewhere in my shop. Somewhere.....

Old 07-27-2010, 11:35 PM
Cruiseomatic
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess my '89 is wierd....Just removed old AM radio, Bent tabs on pioneer sleeve behinde bezel, crimped wires to aftermarket harness, connect wires, slide headunit in, jam out. Did'nt need any brackets or special tools.
Left:

Right:

Finished:

I know the photo quality isn't great. Just took the pictures with a flashlight. But you get the idea.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:10 AM
CowboyBoots
Senior User
^^^ That's pretty much exactly what I did to my '90. Though yours looks a little more put together - mine's all electrical tape, hehe. Works good enough for me and the stereo doesn't move any.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:22 AM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cheated with my Sony - that steel cradle it comes with, I drilled two holes per side and riveted the factory angle brackets to it, then I took the plastic slider piece off the rear of the factory radio and bolted it up to the Sony - with the radio in its cradle the whole thing installs exactly like the factory radio, nice and tight fit.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:55 AM
J1nx93
Tuned
I ordered mine from Crutchfield. They gave me the dash kit, wiring harness, and installation manual free with my head unit purchase.

Quick Reply: stock stereo location - aftermarket deck?