Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-27-2010, 11:57 AM
New User

excursionsthebeast is starting off with a positive reputation.
loud sucking noise under load

Hey guys, im a newb in the diesel world so bare with me. I have an 05 excursion 6.0 diesel and developed a problem over the weekend. I tow a camper and on the way home i started hearing a fairly loud sucking noise when i was pulling hills. It seams to do it when the turbo realy starts making power. I looked for loose pipes, holes in pipes and anything visible but found nothing. Power seems fine and no other problems seem to arrise from it. While driving it sounds central of the engine compartment so Im guessing it has something to do with the turbo. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:14 PM
New User

Just drove around a little to listen to the noise again and it seems to start the sound as soon as the turbo starts spooling up. doesnt seem to get any louder under full throttle and still has the same power i believe. only other thing is it seemed to make a little more black smoke but that could be just me.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Elder User

jetact is starting off with a positive reputation.
Have you looked on the back of the tubes for the turbo for cracks? That is my guess. Unless your hearing the fan come on.
2005 Lariat F-350, 6.0, CC, Auto, 4x4 LWB, SRW, 4" Skyjacker, 35x12.50x20 Toyo MT, Intro wheels, ARP studs, High Idle mod, 4" MBRP turbo back no cat, Dieselsite coolant filter, Bright box, Line of fire, Recon LED taillights, Recon smoke side mirror lens, LED turn & back up lights, 4 PIAA lights, 20" Rigid E-Series. CST Insight w EGT probe and fuel pressure sensor. Firestone air bags, 24" wipers, SCT X3 Ed's Ficm w Atlas 40, Kenwood Excelon DDX896, DVD player, 2 headrest screens and one roof screen.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:21 PM
New User

Problem has been I have been looking when its hot so kinda hard to get close to the pipes on back. Ill try to look close in the morning when its cool. I know what the fan sounds like when it kicks in even though it doesnt happen very often. So the pipe on the back of the turbo is the intake?
Old 07-27-2010, 09:24 PM
Elder User

jetact is starting off with a positive reputation.
[quote=excursionsthebeast;9156642]Problem has been I have been looking when its hot so kinda hard to get close to the pipes on back. Ill try to look close in the morning when its cool. I know what the fan sounds like when it kicks in even though it doesnt happen very often. So the pipe on the back of the turbo is the intake?[/quote

Yes that one can get a crack and the CAC tubes can get them. I had mine replaced becasue of a crack at 37,000 miles. Some people never hear the fan and when they do they are really surprised.
2005 Lariat F-350, 6.0, CC, Auto, 4x4 LWB, SRW, 4" Skyjacker, 35x12.50x20 Toyo MT, Intro wheels, ARP studs, High Idle mod, 4" MBRP turbo back no cat, Dieselsite coolant filter, Bright box, Line of fire, Recon LED taillights, Recon smoke side mirror lens, LED turn & back up lights, 4 PIAA lights, 20" Rigid E-Series. CST Insight w EGT probe and fuel pressure sensor. Firestone air bags, 24" wipers, SCT X3 Ed's Ficm w Atlas 40, Kenwood Excelon DDX896, DVD player, 2 headrest screens and one roof screen.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:32 PM
New User

possible problem found. figured i would do some more searching while its cool and the brats are in bed. the tube coming off the turbo and going to the cooler is connected with a rubber hose. the hose has a hole in the back of it. am i right in saying it leaves the turbo in the front, goes thru the cooler and returns back to the intake? if so that would produce a loud whooshing noise? the probleem i have is it has banks stuff on it and i dont know if its ford or banks now.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Posting Guru

02GrayPowerStroke is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
That sucking is the sound of the truck sucking all of the money out of your pocket. LOL PMS

In some way i really like this truck.

Support the site that supports YOU and your truck. Sign up today! Become a supporter. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/payments.php
Old 07-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Post Fiend

cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02GrayPowerStroke View Post
That sucking is the sound of the truck sucking all of the money out of your pocket. LOL PMS
someone beat me to it.... bahhhhh

no really more then likly its the tube. if its blue in color its more then likly to be a ford part.
mods arp,egr delete, tuned, 91 gallon RDS fuel tank.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:19 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
1996, 60, diesel, f350, ford, load, loud, makes, makinking, noise, powerstroke, problems, sound, sucking, van