Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-27-2010, 10:25 AM
Posting Guru

TinyWonder is a name known to allTinyWonder is a name known to allTinyWonder is a name known to allTinyWonder is a name known to allTinyWonder is a name known to allTinyWonder is a name known to all
6 speed transmission problems

I wanted to let people know about a problem that I have been having. I searched through the forum and couldn't find anything like what I have been experiencing. There is a bit of a story here so bear with me...

I bought my truck with the manual transmission for one reason. They are strong. Until this experience I have had no unusual issues with my truck whatever.

About a year ago, while hauling my camper and small boat back from an extended weekend trip I had to pull off the road and help out a buddy that was having issues with his rig. When I took off to head home the transmission wouldn't shift properly into first and second gears. I was able to drive the truck home being careful to avoid as many stops a possible.

I took the truck to a local transmission shop that came with a recomendation. The owner drove my truck and said that the clutch felt good and all of the other gears (reverse, low, third, fourth, fifth and O/D) were all in good order and working properly. When shifting into or out of first and second it feels like there is peanut butter in the transmission. No clunking or grinding sound is present like a syncro going out. And it's nearly impossible to feel the difference between gears and neutral, just lots of resistance throught the entire shift/trhow.

The bottom line is that the mechanic said he had never seen anything like this with these transmissions. His best guesses were a bent rail, bent shifting fork or possibly a syncro issue that wasn't completly "out" yet. But basically he wouldn't know what was wrong until he gets into things. I've been limping the truck around for almost a year now since the quote was $600 - $1,200 and that was just a guess. I'm thinking for that kind of money I could do most of the upgrades to my truck that I would like to do (exhaust, guages, tuner, etc.)

But I have decided that I can't wait any longer. I've got a week long camping trip coming up and want things to be tip top for that drive and leave some time for break in (no pun intended).

Yesterday, I dropped the truck off at the transmisison shop to get the problem fixed.

I'm upgrading to full synthetic transmission fluid when the work is complete. And I'm going to have the mechanic take a look at the clutch and throwout bearing while he's in there. I also asked to have them save the defective parts so that I can see what happened.

I'll post uptades as things progress.

TinyWonder
Old 07-27-2010, 10:41 AM
Hook it, I'll pull it.

miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
I say YES to everything you said. We also need pics.
RICK, PAA MEMBER #4
2001, F-350, DRW. CC. LWB, 4X4, LARIAT,
MODS: 6637 W/Pete's cover, BTS-TRANS, DP-TUNER LIVE, MBRP 4" SS, Isspro 3 gauge kit, TN-BB turbo, Bellowed up pipes, HPX, TRU-COOL cooler, SS Stage II injectors, and the Chris-fifty.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:43 AM
4000 rounds a min

Deluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to behold
Hey Tiny,
I'v been wanting to go Syntheitc in my 6 speed, What are you going to use?

The Truck
Richard PAA#119 00F350CCDually;7.3L;ZF6,4"MBRP;DIY5"Tailpipe;Modde d Turbo 1.0 exhaust with Ported Shourd;EBPV as exhaust brake;Custom Air Intake with 6637;T500 HPOP;DPTuner-Stock,60e,80e,60t,80t,120r; 6.0 Intercooler;SBC;FRx;HRx;OCR;Bellowed Up Pipes;GlowShift Guages,Boost,EGT;AE, B.E.S.T map
Old 07-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Posting Guru

TinyWonder is a name known to allTinyWonder is a name known to allTinyWonder is a name known to allTinyWonder is a name known to allTinyWonder is a name known to allTinyWonder is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluxe06 View Post
Hey Tiny,
I'v been wanting to go Syntheitc in my 6 speed, What are you going to use?

The Truck
I'm partial to AMSOIL. I've got a buddy that gives me a good price (he's a dealer). From what I've seen their engine oil is superior to most other synthetics and has the ability to extend the drain intervals. But I'm open to suggestions.

The transmission shop didn't think to highly of AMSOIL and suggested that I use theirs... Valvoline Synthetic.

TinyWonder
Old 07-27-2010, 11:05 AM
Senior User

wla6518 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
subscribing, would like to see what they come up with.
Will - 2000 F350 4x4 SRW CC LB -7.3 6sp - 174k, 2.5" level lift - 315x75 R16 BFG KM2's, Straight pipe, 6637, wicked wheel, OBA, CCV,FRx, HPX, AIH delete, Ranger valve, bypass coolant filter, 203*, shimmed FPR, DiPricol EGT and boost, Bilstiens, Firestone airbags, 4.11 gears, Brown welding replacement bumpers! DP Tuner - 60E, 80E, 120R, 140X, 40T, 80T, decel, drive through, high idle. - Southbend clutch finally installed
Old 07-27-2010, 02:45 PM
Senior User

wilbur996 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Interesting, subscribing to this thread as well.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:57 PM
Junior User

forumsearcher is starting off with a positive reputation.
Subscribing.
1999-Early Ford F250 4X4 SuperDuty, 7.3L Diesel, 6-speed, 4:30 Yukon Gears, ARB Front Air Locker, TruTrac Rear LSD, Short Bed, Extended Cab, 8-Inch lift, 6-inch Donahoe Springs with 2-inch ProComp Shackle/Block, Dual 5150 Front Shocks, 5100 rear shocks, 315-75-R16, DP Tuner Chip 40hp-Heavy Tow and 80hp-Econ, AFE-2 Intake, CCV mod, in-tank mod, 4-Inch turbo back, EBPV delete, GTP38RTurbo, Adrenaline HPOP, Riff-Raff Fuel Return, aka "Red Dragon".
Old 07-27-2010, 08:06 PM
Junior User

Blackbeltdually is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Blackbeltdually is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Tomorrow morning myself and a couple of guys are dropping my 6 speed to replace the throwout bearing and fork. When I bought the truck the PO had just put in a whole new clutch. Now 10k later the throwout is squealing away. I believe the PO didn't know of the weak fork in the 99's. We'll see what we find tomorrow. I am also interested in how yours comes out.
By the way, everyone told me that to drop the tranny myself was just too big a job for the garage mechanic. The truck is in the garage on the stands and the only thing to do is loosen the trans bolts, pull er back and see what we find. The prep work I did by myself and it wasn't the horror everyone said. I'll post pics and commentary on the work.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Post Fiend

F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Please tell me you checked the fluid level in your hydraulic reservoir prior to taking the truck to the shop. My truck became very difficult to shift into first. Like you said, no grinding or anything, just hard to move the lever into place. Shifted just fine with the engine off and no difference in feel on the clutch.

I had a slave cylinder in the clutch hydraulics that developed a leak and my reservoir was empty. $50 to autozoo for a new slave and a little brake fluid and I was back up and running.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
Old 07-27-2010, 09:53 PM
4000 rounds a min

Deluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to beholdDeluxe06 is a splendid one to behold
Tiny,
Been going some lookin around and this is some of what I found.

The guys on these two sites (Powerstroke Nation & Bob is the Oil Guy Forums) are using These Oils in there ZF6s.

1-Mobil 1 ATF Synthetic, 2-Red Line MTL, 3-Amsoil ATF, 4-Royal Purple Synhcromax, 5-Royal Purple Max ATF.

Any input from some of the other Guys or Gals running ZF6s would be Great (Good or Bad)

The Truck
Richard PAA#119 00F350CCDually;7.3L;ZF6,4"MBRP;DIY5"Tailpipe;Modde d Turbo 1.0 exhaust with Ported Shourd;EBPV as exhaust brake;Custom Air Intake with 6637;T500 HPOP;DPTuner-Stock,60e,80e,60t,80t,120r; 6.0 Intercooler;SBC;FRx;HRx;OCR;Bellowed Up Pipes;GlowShift Guages,Boost,EGT;AE, B.E.S.T map
Old 07-27-2010, 11:08 PM
Senior User

Journeymaaann is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I changed mine to Mobil 1 @ 54,000 & again @ 98,500 & I am happy to report no problems. When I took the fluid out @ 98,500 after 44,000 miles it looked real nice. It was red, had no burnt odor. It looked good enough to have left it in. Hope this helps.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:36 PM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
http://www.facebook.com/http://facebook.com/Kwikkordead#!/Kwikkordead
Subscribing here too.
I had a bearing fail in my ZF6.
No question because when I changed the fluid it came out looking like mother-of-pearl, full of fine metal flakes.
2000 VW Passat 1.8t Tiptronic. ZZOOOOOMMMM!!!
You cannot explain or explain away the power of God.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:33 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350-6 View Post
Please tell me you checked the fluid level in your hydraulic reservoir prior to taking the truck to the shop. My truck became very difficult to shift into first. Like you said, no grinding or anything, just hard to move the lever into place. Shifted just fine with the engine off and no difference in feel on the clutch.

I had a slave cylinder in the clutch hydraulics that developed a leak and my reservoir was empty. $50 to autozoo for a new slave and a little brake fluid and I was back up and running.
I made the presumption that this question was directed at me. Fortunately for me and your concerns I know that this is not in fact the problem. My slave cylinder went out about a year and a half ago. The clutch pedal went down to the floor and stuck there. It was a little scary when it happened. I replaced the slave cylinder and bled the hydraulic lines (I wish I had my mighty vac when I did this job) which was a royal pain.

The transmission is hard to shift in or out of first and second gears weather the engine is running or not.

I am religious about checking under the hood and checking all of the fluid levels. In fact I just checked three weeks ago before leaving and returning from a camping trip. The next day my truck got sabotaged by a squirrel and it's been sitting in the driveway until yesterday (see my other thread).

I had considered taking the transmission out myself. The shop wanted $400 for R & R. After talking with the shop owner I decided to let the pro's do this one. One bit of advice on doing the work yourself... be very careful to get the transmission ligned up correctly when bolting everything back together. Apparently there are some studs that fit into the transmission and if things aren't just right when you tighten things down they break off causing all kinds of trouble. And I remember the shop saying something about supporting the rear portion of the engine while the tranny is out too.

TinyWonder
Old 07-28-2010, 06:06 AM
Post Fiend

F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluxe06 View Post
The guys on these two sites (Powerstroke Nation & Bob is the Oil Guy Forums) are using These Oils in there ZF6s.

1-Mobil 1 ATF Synthetic, 2-Red Line MTL, 3-Amsoil ATF, 4-Royal Purple Synhcromax, 5-Royal Purple Max ATF.

Any input from some of the other Guys or Gals running ZF6s would be Great (Good or Bad)
I've run Mobil 1 synthetic ATF in mine and frankly could not tell the difference between it and regular ATF. They feel the same and both come out clean at 50k miles.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
Old 07-28-2010, 09:14 AM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
http://www.facebook.com/http://facebook.com/Kwikkordead#!/Kwikkordead
TinyWonder I bought the replacement tranny from Fleet Pride.
They are an authorized ZF6 distritributor and the cost at that time was around $2400.00 for a complete unit delivered to my shop.
2000 VW Passat 1.8t Tiptronic. ZZOOOOOMMMM!!!
You cannot explain or explain away the power of God.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:14 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2002, 2010, 350, 99, escape, ford, good, grinds, line, manuel, reviews, speed, trans, transmisison, transmission, trouble