Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > 2011 & Newer Explorer
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2011 & Newer Explorer Discuss the all new redesigned Ford Explorer

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-26-2010, 10:50 PM
Senior User

WINGNUT- is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford finally destroyed the Explorer

I knew it would happen sooner or later. For 2011 the Explorer will be turned into a cross over utility vehicle (CUV). It will have unibody construction, lower ground clearance, no V8 option, lower towing capacity, and what appears to be the lack of a two speed transfer case.

I used to own a `91 Explorer, that was a REAL SUV. Ford shouldn`t even call this new 2011 abomination an Explorer. For people who want a watered down SUV [COLOR=#595959 ! important][COLOR=#595959 ! important]Ford[/color][/color] already offers the Escape, Edge, Taurus X, and Flex. So now someone who is looking specifically for a midsize, `true` SUV with ladder type frame and two speed transfer case from an American manufacturer is SOL. Seeing as how GM axed the Trailblazer and Envoy and Chysler/Dodge the Durango and Aspen, the only game in town now is Nissan and [COLOR=#595959 ! important][COLOR=#595959 ! important]Toyota[/color][/color]Click the image to open in full size.
, who offer midsize `TRUE` SUV`s. For could have has a niche vehicle. Way to drop the ball Ford....good one. Am I the only one who feels this way?
Old 07-26-2010, 11:24 PM
Senior User

26Below is starting off with a positive reputation.
You are probably not the only one who feels this way, but I dont agree with you.
It was reinvented for a reason...
http://lowboymotorsports.com/site2/g...001+EXCURSION/
2001 Ford Ranger- 22Below-22s,S2000 turbo,BD, insanely modified.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:05 AM
Postmaster

shorod has a good reputation on FTE.shorod has a good reputation on FTE.shorod has a good reputation on FTE.
Right, rather than start a new thread you could read the other thread on the subject in this forum and see that you are not the only one.

-Rod
Old 07-27-2010, 06:21 AM
Senior User

F350JOHN is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up

Good job on starting a new thread on this sad excuse of a Explorer.
I owned a '96 5-speed 4.0L 4x4 and It was one of the best vehicles
I've ever owned. Too bad the world is going this way...

PRO MANUAL TRANSMISSION ACTIVISTS
Old 07-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Senior User

They should have called it Edsel.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:18 PM
Senior User

88-150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
A4li_Rycon CosmicRycon
they shouldve ended the production line after 1997 imo.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Elder User

tcesni is starting off with a positive reputation.
The problem was, very few buyers wanted the Explorer with the full frame, etc. At 50,000 units per year with big discounts it was a money loser. The new one will pull 5000 lbs with far better fuel economy.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Senior User

That's strange, Toyota seems to be doing totally fine with its 4Runner, and FJ........and Nissan with it's Xterra and Pathfinder, and they sell fewer numbers. One positive thing to say about the Japanese brands, they care enough about their customers to give them a CHOICE in vehicles!
Old 07-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Elder User

elemint is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yeah, why won't Ford even try to compete with the FJ and T4R? The Edge is already out, so why have 2 crossovers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINGNUT- View Post
That's strange, Toyota seems to be doing totally fine with its 4Runner, and FJ........and Nissan with it's Xterra and Pathfinder, and they sell fewer numbers. One positive thing to say about the Japanese brands, they care enough about their customers to give them a CHOICE in vehicles!
Old 07-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Senior User

88-150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
A4li_Rycon CosmicRycon
because Ford is Ford and is owned by Toyota which is owned by GM.. it's a vicious circle. I gots a '94 xlt inching up on 100k, best SUV i've bought yet.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Posting Guru

Troy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to behold
We are on our second Explorer (1st-'96 and 2nd-'04) and although most of there miles have been on road it was the rear drive setup in a midsize vehicle that made it ideal. Now it appears the Explorer is a repackage Flex so I guess one will go away in the near future.

Bottom line the new Explorer doesn't appear to be impressive or innovative like the previous generations.

2012 F250 Lariat CC FX4 3.55EL 6.7 PSD (Pulling Beast and all Stock)

2011 Edge Limited (Wifes)
Old 07-27-2010, 09:57 PM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
The problem was, very few buyers wanted the Explorer with the full frame, etc.

Quote:
At 50,000 units per year with big discounts it was a money loser.
Can you post proof that Ford lost money on the Explorer?

Quote:
The new one will pull 5000 lbs with far better fuel economy.
Proof on that one too please.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:06 AM
Senior User

4caster is starting off with a positive reputation.
I owned a 1998 Explorer and currently own a 2007 Explorer. The new model is attractive, but it might as well be a minivan. I guess that I am in the minority for actually daring to use an SUV as an SUV.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:22 AM
Junior User

RoyJ is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post

1) Can you post proof that Ford lost money on the Explorer?

2) Proof on that one too please.

1) They used to sell about 500,000...

2) It'a listed in the official release.

As much as we love our classic Explorers (can't believe my 06 is now a classic), majority of the market doesn't agree. Ford had to get on with the times to stay profitable. Truth is, your average buyer don't give a crap about articulation of full lockers. Those that do can buy a Rubicon or Power Wagon.

Sure, Toyota still builds the 4Runner. But sales went from a peak of almost 120,000 to just 19,000 last year.

Nissan is saying "no plans for future Pathfinder and Xterra". Like it or not guys, the body on frame, solid axle SUV is a (quickly) dying breed.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:02 AM
Elder User

tcesni is starting off with a positive reputation.
Toyota builds the 4Runner and FJ off of the same frame and sell them worldwide, something Ford doesn't do with the Explorer. Also, check out sales of the FJ, its a dog in the U.S. and the new 4Runner comes with a standard 4-cyl - no V8 is offered. I can't imagine anyone will really miss the 4.0 from the Explorer.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:02 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > 2011 & Newer Explorer

Tags
city, destroyed, explorer, ford, psd